Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists "Hijack" Nativity Display
Atheists "Hijack" Nativity Display
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/20...s-say.html

Quote:Officials used a lottery to dole out spots in the prime location along Ocean Avenue. The atheists turned out to be the lucky ones: Of the 21 plots in the park open for displays, they won 18. The nativity story that once took 14 displays to tell — from the Annunciation, continuing to the manger in Bethlehem and onto infant Jesus' journey to Egypt and back to Nazareth — had to be abridged to three and crammed into two plots.

"A small group of out-of-town atheists is trying to hijack Santa Monica's nearly 60-year-long Christmas tradition," said Hunter Jameson, chairman of the Santa Monica Nativity Scenes Committee, the group that works with more than a dozen churches and civic groups to organize the display.

Jameson said he intends to keep the nativity tradition many have enjoyed since 1953 from being displaced. Palisades Park, he said, is the "historic home where it really belongs."

"Their goal is getting rid of us, and squelching our 1st Amendment rights," said Jameson, 65, who no longer lives in Santa Monica but still worships at Lighthouse Church of Santa Monica.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Atheists "Hijack" Nativity Display
Quote:"Their goal is getting rid of us, and squelching our 1st Amendment rights," said Jameson, 65, who no longer lives in Santa Monica but still worships at Lighthouse Church of Santa Monica.

Someone should remind that doofus that our 1st amendment rights are our 1st amendment rights, and not just the xtian's.

That kills me that they think that atheists don't have the same rights as they do. Idiots.

In regards to the hijacking...

Worship (large)

Clap FSM Grin Clap

They won fair and square so they can do what they like, but I would say they probably should have refrained from being so "in your face" about it. They could have taken on board the holiday spirit and made some nice festive displays, or celebrated science, etc. There is a reason why so many atheists are hated in the USA...it's because of insensitive shit like this.

Over here, most atheists I know celebrate Christmas along with everyone else. Yes, we call it "Christmas" and sing carols, watch nativity plays, and generally have a festive time.

Just my two cents...
I actually got this off the Skeptalk e-mail list and one of the immediate responses was:

Quote:"Their goal is getting rid of us, and squelching our 1st Amendment rights"

*sigh*

Nobody who ever says that seems to know what it means...
I'm from the U.S. and I celebrate Christmas. You have to remember, the U.S. is a very big country. A few dudes taking over one Christmas display is hardly enough to judge all American atheists. To be fair, it seems the nativity was hijacking all the space for a long time. I do agree that they should have done something cool with it, though.
(December 15, 2011 at 6:32 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Over here, most atheists I know celebrate Christmas along with everyone else. Yes, we call it "Christmas" and sing carols, watch nativity plays, and generally have a festive time.

Just my two cents...

They do that over here too. The difference is, our country thinks it is news when someone does not.
I would agree with you, Adrian, but the christians here are the most insensitive fuckwads in the entire world. They're so in your face about their religious crap, but it's not limited to symbolism and preaching. They've tried to hijack my uterus a million times now, and are still trying. I understand that it seems like it might help us to be submissive, respectful, and polite, but if we were like that all the time here the black people would be pissing in separate bathrooms, the women would be powerless, and my kid would be forced to pray to their god every day in school.

That's where leaving the Christians be gets you in this country. I couldn't care less if they hate us.

Tonight is the one day a year I go to a church.

The local symphony is doing Handel's Messiah and because Symphony Hall is tied up with some fucking ballet they do it in churches around Phoenix. Anybody got any messages you want me to give "jesus?"
Fucking pay my electric bill, Jesus.
(December 15, 2011 at 6:54 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Anybody got any messages you want me to give "jesus?"

Fuck you comes to mind.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
Christ I'm in a bad mood today.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2199 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheist "nativity" at California State Capitol Seraphina 16 2345 December 27, 2016 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  Nativity Scene in my town department building Doggey75 16 5017 December 26, 2014 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Nativity scene in my house! Thor 27 9423 December 23, 2010 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: Thor