Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 5, 2024, 1:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Moral Argument for God
RE: The Moral Argument for God
(December 7, 2015 at 7:46 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(December 7, 2015 at 7:35 pm)athrock Wrote: So, after triple-checking with a half-dozen or so believer websites, I can say that the classic formulation of the Moral Argument is:

1. If God does not exist, then objective moral values and duties do not exist.
  2. But objective moral values and duties do exist.
  3. Therefore, God exists.

The problem with that argument is that it asserts by fiat that objective moral values are contingent on the existence of God.

I (and many others) disagree on that.

Why should we accept that assertion?

Because it is the most reasonable conclusion of careful thought about the matter.

Take god out of the picture for the moment...

Now, ask yourself two questions:

1. Do any objective moral values exist or are all moral values subjective?
2. If objective moral values exist, what is the basis for or source of them?

I look forward to reading your thoughts.
We want to live in the world where the holocaust is objectively wrong.  Where life has real meaning.  Where we have free will.

If you want to believe in these things, then God is decent way to go.  The problem is there is no rational reason to think our preferring the world to be a certain way would make it that way.

That's why the arguments fall apart when Theists encounter someone who doesn't believe in free will, objective morality, or meaning.  

Because you're presenting two possible realities.  One supported by reason that we REALLY REALLY REALLY don't like.  And one that you REALLY REALLY like, but you have to jump through some hoops, and believe in some weird things to sort of justify if you don't think about it too hard.

And the strength of the argument is hoping people find the reason'd reality so bad they refuse to accept it.  The obvious flaw being truth not needing acceptance.
Whenever we find that someone's "argument for god" happens to be an argument about anything but god, say...instead, objective moral values and duties.....we should already know what sort of miserable little charade is about to play out.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 3, 2015 at 6:18 pm)athrock Wrote: 1. If objective moral values and duties do not exist, then God does not exist.
2. Objective moral values and duties do exist.

First of all prove that your second premise is correct.

Second given your first two premises, the third doesn't follow. You have not even listed that god is necessary for the existence of objective morality in your establishing premesis, just said that he doesn't exist if objective morality doesn't exist (which is also something you'd be better off proving before getting back to us).

To use pizzas and tomato sauce here is what you've said in more mundane terms:

1) If tomato sauce didn't exist neither would pizzas
2) I like eating tomato sauce
3) Pizzas exist.

See how 1 and 2 don't lead to 3? Same with you.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(December 9, 2015 at 10:57 am)athrock Wrote:
(December 7, 2015 at 7:46 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: The problem with that argument is that it asserts by fiat that objective moral values are contingent on the existence of God.

I (and many others) disagree on that.

Why should we accept that assertion?

Because it is the most reasonable conclusion of careful thought about the matter.

Even if that were true (and I doubt that it is), that still does not make objective moral values contingent on the existence of God. Do you understand what contingency in formal logic entails? It literally means that P absolute prerequisite for Q, Q cannot occur in the absence of P, P is a necessary precondition for Q, not that anyone (or even everyone) thinks it's the most reasonable conclusion. This is something that must be demonstrated - that Q can only come about in conjunction with P. If there ain't no P, there ain't no Q.

The syllogism also asserts that objective moral values exist - while it may be true that they do, I am skeptical and you're going to have to show your work on that. I have yet to see a compelling case. (my interpretation is that "objective" means "extant independent of personal feeling or prejudice, existing independent of mind")
(December 4, 2015 at 12:57 pm)Whateverist the White Wrote:
(December 4, 2015 at 12:55 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: I tend to think there is objective but not universal morality, although the larger portion of morality is culturally and personally subjective and a fair amount is arbitrary, I don't think we can construct a scenario where it is morally okay to use human infants as hockey pucks for fun. 

Certainly not.  That would just be wasteful when you consider how tasty they can be.

I think you're thinking 'bout California Cheeseburgers.

Edit: Replying to Roadrunner below

Bull shit! Absolute and utter garbage.

Lets take a look:
(December 5, 2015 at 1:07 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
  1. Relativists Can’t Accuse Others of Wrong-Doing
  2. Relativists Can’t Complain About the Problem of Evil
  3. Relativists Can’t Place Blame or Accept Praise
  4. Relativists Can’t Claim Anything Is Unfair or Unjust
  5. Relativists Can’t Improve Their Morality
  6. Relativists Can’t Hold Meaningful Moral Discussions
  7. Relativists Can’t Promote the Obligation of Tolerance

1) Why can't we, just because you can accept that other people with a different morality than you could be right, or that morality can be dependant on context doesn't preclude you from describing a wrong act as wrong.
2) The problem of evil is only a problem for monotheists, where their god has to be both the absolute good and the source of all evil. Not a problem for relativists.
3) See 1. The same issue arises
4) Again see 1.
5) Of course we can. We improve our morality much more readily than absolutists because we can acknowledge that others can have a more refined morality and learn from them than absolutists can. For absolutists their morality is already perfect and they cannot learn from others.
6) What is this I don't even. Look you're just getting into fractally wrong territory here. Claiming that moral relativists cannot have a meaningful discussion on morality is like claiming that astrophysicists can't explain the Doppler shift.
7) Hey, I'll just finish off by copying your usage of non-sequitur. Moral Absolutists cannot hook other players.

Home
Bull shit! Absolute and utter garbage.

Lets take a look:
(December 5, 2015 at 1:07 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
  1. Relativists Can’t Accuse Others of Wrong-Doing
  2. Relativists Can’t Complain About the Problem of Evil
  3. Relativists Can’t Place Blame or Accept Praise
  4. Relativists Can’t Claim Anything Is Unfair or Unjust
  5. Relativists Can’t Improve Their Morality
  6. Relativists Can’t Hold Meaningful Moral Discussions
  7. Relativists Can’t Promote the Obligation of Tolerance

1) Why can't we, just because you can accept that other people with a different morality than you could be right, or that morality can be dependant on context doesn't preclude you from describing a wrong act as wrong.
2) The problem of evil is only a problem for monotheists, where their god has to be both the absolute good and the source of all evil. Not a problem for relativists.
3) See 1. The same issue arises
4) Again see 1.
5) Of course we can. We improve our morality much more readily than absolutists because we can acknowledge that others can have a more refined morality and learn from them than absolutists can. For absolutists their morality is already perfect and they cannot learn from others.
6) What is this I don't even. Look you're just getting into fractally wrong territory here. Claiming that moral relativists cannot have a meaningful discussion on morality is like claiming that astrophysicists can't explain the Doppler shift.
7) Hey, I'll just finish off by copying your usage of non-sequitur. Moral Absolutists cannot hook other players.

Home
(December 9, 2015 at 5:41 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(December 9, 2015 at 10:57 am)athrock Wrote: Because it is the most reasonable conclusion of careful thought about the matter.

Even if that were true (and I doubt that it is), that still does not make objective moral values contingent on the existence of God.  Do you understand what contingency in formal logic entails?  It literally means that P absolute prerequisite for Q, Q cannot occur in the absence of P, P is a necessary precondition for Q, not that anyone (or even everyone) thinks it's the most reasonable conclusion.  This is something that must be demonstrated - that Q can only come about in conjunction with P.  If there ain't no P, there ain't no Q.

The syllogism also asserts that objective moral values exist - while it may be true that they do, I am skeptical and you're going to have to show your work on that.  I have yet to see a compelling case.  (my interpretation is that "objective" means "extant independent of personal feeling or prejudice, existing independent of mind")

Yes, I am familiar with the concept of contingency. The Moral Argument would be meaningless if Q did NOT require P. Otherwise, what's the point?  Cool

But, let's start with the latter...

Concerning whether OMV's exist, you say, "it may be true that they do [exist]". It will be helpful to know for sure what your position is. You're "skeptical"? As in doubtful?

Okay...definitions are important in a discussion like this, so can we agree that objective means "not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts. And can we further agree that an "objective" moral value is one that is true in all places for all people at all times?

Next, which of these would you say is or was acceptable EVER:
  • child abuse
  • terrorism
  • racial discrimination
  • rape
  • murder (not merely "killing")
If one or more of these was or is ever to be accepted or condoned, please provide some explanation of the conditions under which it/they would be or were acceptable.

Thanks.

(December 9, 2015 at 3:57 pm)Constable Dorfl Wrote:
(December 3, 2015 at 6:18 pm)athrock Wrote: 1. If objective moral values and duties do not exist, then God does not exist.
2. Objective moral values and duties do exist.

First of all prove that your second premise is correct.

Second given your first two premises, the third doesn't follow. You have not even listed that god is necessary for the existence of objective morality in your establishing premesis, just said that he doesn't exist if objective morality doesn't exist (which is also something you'd be better off proving before getting back to us).

To use pizzas and tomato sauce here is what you've said in more mundane terms:

1) If tomato sauce didn't exist neither would pizzas
2) I like eating tomato sauce
3) Pizzas exist.

See how 1 and 2 don't lead to 3? Same with you.

I'm starting with premise two as you can see from my post to Cthulhu Dreaming above. Feel free to join in.

(December 8, 2015 at 12:50 am)Vincent Wrote:
(December 7, 2015 at 11:25 am)athrock Wrote: So, it might be okay for one group to permit the rape of children?
If a group permitted it and had a way of explaining it to be personally good for them, then it would become moral, would it not? Hence subjective morality. I'm not interested in a fairy tale image of the world in which we say that shit like murder is objectively wrong. NOTHING is objectively wrong. Because the universe itself doesn't care one way or the other. If a man kills another man, and if another human being does not come along and add in his subjective judgment, then the killer will not face any justice. The world will not punish him. He will not burn in hell because hell itself does not exist. Karma will not come back to bit him in the ass. If he harbors no guilty conscience for his actions (believing his actions to be moral from his own subjective standpoint), the man will go about his life and die like everyone else. 

Morality itself is a man made concept. Murder, rape, stealing, and other crimes are not wrong because they are wrong. They are wrong only because we say they are, because we believe them to be. We make and change are own morals, both on a personal level and on a societal level. Civilized society has a subjective agreement that child rape is wrong, but there is no objective morality involved. 

Objective morality doesn't exist. Get over it.

I see.

And just to be clear, if the Nazis had won the war, killing six million Jews and a couple million other folks would be okay in your view because might makes right? Correct?

This explains Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot and other atheist regimes, does it not?
(December 10, 2015 at 6:43 pm)athrock Wrote: Next, which of these would you say is or was acceptable EVER:

1. child abuse
  2. terrorism
  3. racial discrimination
  4. rape
  5. murder (not merely "killing")
If one or more of these was or is ever to be accepted or condoned, please provide some explanation of the conditions under which it/they would be or were acceptable.

(my numbers)

1. How were children treated before child labor laws. And what of other countries that do not have child labor laws?
  2. Terrorism was acceptable to the union when they were fighting England.
  3. The bible condones racial discrimination and then there is slavery at which time Blacks were not even considered human.
  4. The bible condones rape
  5. War is murder

(December 10, 2015 at 6:43 pm)athrock Wrote: (not merely "killing")

See, rationalizing already. If we change the meaning then it is all ok. That is how it works.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(December 10, 2015 at 6:43 pm)athrock Wrote: Next, which of these would you say is or was acceptable EVER:
  • child abuse
  • terrorism
  • racial discrimination
  • rape
  • murder (not merely "killing")

Child Abuse: Deuteronomy 21: 18-21, Proverbs 30:17, Psalm 137:9
Rape: Numbers 31:15-18
Terrorism: Deuteronomy 2:25
Genocide (murder): Deuteronomy 2:34
Discrimination: Leviticus 21:17-23

There are more. Sounds like they were acceptable and condoned.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 9350 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  A simple argument against God Disagreeable 149 13673 December 29, 2022 at 11:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Moral universalism and theism Interaktive 20 2028 May 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 17954 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How to easily defeat any argument for God Tom Fearnley 629 40106 November 22, 2019 at 9:27 pm
Last Post: Tom Fearnley
  Religion stifles Moral Evolution Cecelia 107 16449 December 4, 2017 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Does religion expose the shortcomings of empathy based moral systems henryp 19 2597 December 2, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Creationist Moral Panic Amarok 15 5721 June 13, 2017 at 10:42 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  General question about the possibility of objective moral truth Michael Wald 63 13264 September 15, 2015 at 10:28 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  A potential argument for existence of God TheMuslim 28 4542 June 18, 2015 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Cephus