Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A simple argument against God
A simple argument against God
[P1] If there is no evidence for God then God is unlikely to exist
[P2] There is no evidence for God
[C] Therefore God is unlikely to exist
Schopenhauer Wrote:The intellect has become free, and in this state it does not even know or understand any other interest than that of truth.

Epicurus Wrote:The greatest reward of righteousness is peace of mind.

Epicurus Wrote:Don't fear god,
Don't worry about death;

What is good is easy to get,

What is terrible is easy to endure
RE: A simple argument against God
Seems like a reasonable inductive argument. I find it persuasive, unless someone can present evidence for God that stands up to reasonble scrutiny.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
[P1] If there is any evidence for God then God likely exists
[P2] There is evidence for God
[C] God likely exists

Big Grin

which of course begs for definitions of God and evidence and exist ... I could brush off my debate hat if I had more time. Feel free to add your definitions L .
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Not seen anything in 68 years that couldn't be explained without a god, so I see no evidence for one existing.
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

[P1] If the prime mover requires a mind then there is justification for this
[P2] There is not justification for this
[C1] The prime mover does not require a mind

^^ A more interesting argument
Schopenhauer Wrote:The intellect has become free, and in this state it does not even know or understand any other interest than that of truth.

Epicurus Wrote:The greatest reward of righteousness is peace of mind.

Epicurus Wrote:Don't fear god,
Don't worry about death;

What is good is easy to get,

What is terrible is easy to endure
(November 29, 2022 at 11:58 am)tackattack Wrote: [P1] If there is any evidence for God then God likely exists
[C] God likely exists

Big Grin

Well, even you don't believe in what you wrote. While there is some evidence for the existence of a god, it doesn't mean that god exists because the evidence is bad. To prove my point: George Harrison claims to have seen Krishna therfore Krishna exists. - does tackattack believe that Krishna exists? No.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Here's a less interesting argument
[P1] Wet means to saturate something with water
[P2] You can't remove water from water without it not existing
[c1] Water can't be saturated with water
[C2] Water can't be wet

Ok I'm off to work then.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(November 29, 2022 at 11:58 am)tackattack Wrote: [P1] If there is any evidence for God then God likely exists
[C] God likely exists

Big Grin

which of course begs for definitions of God and evidence and exist ... I could brush off my debate hat if I had more time. Feel free to add your definitions L .

[P1] If there is any evidence for the FSM, then...
(November 29, 2022 at 12:11 pm)The L Wrote: [P1] If the prime mover requires a mind then there is justification for this

You should probably let other people tell you when things are interesting.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 29, 2022 at 2:43 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(November 29, 2022 at 12:11 pm)The L Wrote: [P1] If the prime mover requires a mind then there is justification for this

You should probably let other people tell you when things are interesting.

Boru

It was marginally more interesting.
"Imagination, life is your creation"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 7850 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Is my argument against afterlife an equivocation fallacy? FlatAssembler 61 2574 June 20, 2023 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  My Almighty VS your argument against it Won2blv 43 3745 May 5, 2022 at 9:13 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 15524 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
  What is the best counter argument against "What do you lose by believing?" Macoleco 25 1842 May 1, 2021 at 8:05 pm
  The Argument Against Evil-lution no one 19 3468 January 5, 2020 at 7:58 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  How to easily defeat any argument for God Tom Fearnley 629 33334 November 22, 2019 at 9:27 pm
Last Post: Tom Fearnley
  Arguments Against Creator God GrandizerII 77 18973 November 16, 2019 at 9:38 am
  Arguments against existence of God. Mystic 336 78075 December 7, 2018 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Rebellion against god purplepurpose 285 36137 March 6, 2018 at 3:09 am
Last Post: Banned