Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 22, 2024, 6:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wHY dO wE tOLERATE uGLINESS?
RE: wHY dO wE tOLERATE uGLINESS?
(January 22, 2016 at 12:14 pm)Ben Davis Wrote: How can you know beauty without ugliness?

Angel  Angel  Angel

Beauty is only skin deep
But ugly goes to the bone
Beauty will fade away
But ugly will hold its own
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
Ugly is subjective.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
In answer to the OP, because the best means of promoting free thinking, is to allow free thinking. It's an added plus that so many Christian and Islamic posters here are rabid-dog-crazy (there are a number of exceptions), because it emphasizes the rationality of the atheist position.
'
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(January 22, 2016 at 12:05 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: I thought I knew, but some of these posts make me forget. Why do we tolerate posters who have nothing to say but something ugly about atheism?

I couldn't go to a Christian form and say "all christians are closet psychopaths."

Will someone remind me what this is for?

Free speech. We respect it.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
If they want to come in here and intellectually hang themselves, who are we to stop them?

I reckon such ignorant people do more to help our cause to any reasonable reader. They are clearly projecting their own insecurities onto a target audience they are scared of and they feel needs bullying into submission.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Because someone needs to knock some common sense into them. Or at least try.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
(January 22, 2016 at 2:36 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote:
(January 22, 2016 at 12:14 pm)Ben Davis Wrote: How can you know beauty without ugliness?

Angel  Angel  Angel

Beauty is only skin deep
Beauty will fade away

Yup.

[Image: sarah-palin-poster-child-for-the-ugly-am....jpg?w=490]
(January 22, 2016 at 3:12 pm)robvalue Wrote: If they want to come in here and intellectually hang themselves, who are we to stop them?

I reckon such ignorant people do more to help our cause to any reasonable reader. They are clearly projecting their own insecurities onto a target audience they are scared of and they feel needs bullying into submission.

I Would think they were already hung when they got here. What we’re seeing is the tail end when cut.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

--Voltaire

(January 22, 2016 at 3:49 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(January 22, 2016 at 2:36 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: Beauty is only skin deep
Beauty will fade away

Yup.

[Image: sarah-palin-poster-child-for-the-ugly-am....jpg?w=490]
Was Yeena Hyena unavailable at printing time?

--Voltaire

My guess, is that people tolerate the ugliness, because it makes them feel smart. "Look how dumb that person is. I'm not dumb like they are, so I must be smart!"

That's why True Christian gets so many replies. Even though everyone knows someone is just having a goof, they can't resist the chance to show how much smarter they are, even it's just smarter than a fake persona.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you tolerate religious people? MusicLovingAtheist 18 4816 October 22, 2014 at 11:57 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Why, Why,Why! Lemonvariable72 14 3836 October 2, 2013 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  WHY WHY WHY??!?!? JUST STOP...... Xyster 18 5563 March 18, 2011 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: Zenith