Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 6, 2024, 4:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christoid Logic
RE: Christoid Logic
(February 3, 2016 at 9:15 pm)GodCherry Wrote:
(February 3, 2016 at 8:58 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Haha, I have no idea what you're saying, you crazy man. I know several Mormons. There are a lot of them in the Air Force so I meet them through my husband's job. They all seem like perfectly nice, decent people. That's all I care about when it comes to judgement of other people.

About a month ago, two young LDS missionaries came to my house.

I feel sorry what they do to these kids during their pilgrimages....the rules are so weird.

They were very nice kids and I ended up giving them a bunch of fruit because they're only allowed to shop on certain days and were saying that they didn't have any fresh food to eat.

But some of the stuff they indoctrinate these kids to is just freaking nuts.

Thats really nice of you to do that.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Playing Cluedo with my mum while I was at Uni:

"You did WHAT?  With WHO?  WHERE???"
(February 3, 2016 at 9:20 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(February 3, 2016 at 9:15 pm)GodCherry Wrote: About a month ago, two young LDS missionaries came to my house.

I feel sorry what they do to these kids during their pilgrimages....the rules are so weird.

They were very nice kids and I ended up giving them a bunch of fruit because they're only allowed to shop on certain days and were saying that they didn't have any fresh food to eat.

But some of the stuff they indoctrinate these kids to is just freaking nuts.

Thats really nice of you to do that.

Thank you. They were very nice, sweet kids and if my kid were in need of help, I'd hope someone would help them if couldn't.

Karma.
Tough, for me at least, to use the term 'Christian' in regards to anyone who absolutely, positively refuses to renounce, rebuke, and/or forswears scripture cherry picking.

I don't know that my standards in that regard would be any different than Christs . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(February 3, 2016 at 9:19 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(February 3, 2016 at 8:58 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Haha, I have no idea what you're saying, you crazy man. I know several Mormons. There are a lot of them in the Air Force so I meet them through my husband's job. They all seem like perfectly nice, decent people. That's all I care about when it comes to judgement of other people.

Oh, there's no doubt that, individually, many are nice people.  Where it all falls down is the crazy of the beliefs themselves.

Oh, and magic undies.

I understand what you're saying, what I mean though is I just don't really care about their religious beliefs. As long as you're a good person, that's the extent of my caring. 

To be fair though, from what I understand about the underwear is that it's just a uniform... like the same way that priests an rabbis have "uniforms". Just a symbol of their role and commitment, nothing magic about it.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(February 3, 2016 at 8:27 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Igno, I know that 1 - 1 = 0 lol.

I still don't see how that means anything in the material world can come from nothing. I must admit though, I don't feel like sitting through youtube videos so maybe thats my own fault lol.

And, since the material world is the only one for which we have any tangible evidence, it follows that God can not exist since He too could not have come from nothing.
(February 3, 2016 at 8:58 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: [...] They all seem like perfectly nice, decent people. That's all I care about when it comes to judgement of other people.

So all you care about is what people seem to be like to you? In other words, you base your judgement - on your judgement? Do you not care about whether or not your perception of people may be wrong/skewed/influenced by prejudice?

I mean - a narcissist, or a psychopath may perceive anyone criticizing them as "not nice", regardless of validity of criticism and its form. A racist will interpret behavior of people of different race in the worst possible light. Similarly - a person indoctrinated into an ideology from childhood will instinctively perceive people undermining their beliefs as unpleasant, while people who give credence to those beliefs will automatically appear "nicer" than they may objectively be - even if they're demonstrably morally bankrupt.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(February 3, 2016 at 8:27 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Igno, I know that 1 - 1 = 0 lol.

I still don't see how that means anything in the material world can come from nothing. I must admit though, I don't feel like sitting through youtube videos so maybe thats my own fault lol.

The math supports it in theory. The real answer is we don't know. Same with abiogenesis..
Science endeavours to answer questions about this universe from within.

Outside this universe, my money's on Mighty Mouse!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(February 3, 2016 at 9:25 pm)Whateverist the White Wrote: And, since the material world is the only one for which we have any tangible evidence, it follows that God can not exist since He too could not have come from nothing.

Thus enters special pleading on the part of theists in insisting that god is real because natural law does not apply to him.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(February 3, 2016 at 9:24 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Tough, for me at least, to use the term 'Christian' in regards to anyone who absolutely, positively refuses to renounce, rebuke, and/or forswears scripture cherry picking.

I don't know that my standards in that regard would be any different than Christs . . . .

Well considering Jesus Himself straight up denounced certain things in the OT, I think that's a pretty good indication that the bible (while it is important), is not the end all be all of the faith. That's what Catholics believe, anyway. Can't speak for the others.

-walsh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Satirical logic for the atheistic mind Drich 158 21112 June 13, 2018 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  What is the logic in "life after death"? Fake Messiah 52 9412 March 11, 2017 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: comet
  divine logic? ignoramus 30 6837 June 26, 2015 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  God's Special Logic Michael Schubert 16 3735 March 31, 2014 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  'Logic' Window: The Nutrition Of Wisdom Cyberman 0 1292 April 20, 2012 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Logic problem: The founding principles of the U.S. and Christianity. Ziploc Surprise 45 27369 February 13, 2012 at 2:09 am
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise
  Logic vs. Facts... aufis 35 16187 June 6, 2010 at 7:24 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  First Order Predicate Logic vs The Judeo-Christian creator pack3tg0st 14 6991 April 8, 2010 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: Tiberius