Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 22, 2024, 8:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(western) classical music discussion
RE: (western) classical music discussion
(March 31, 2016 at 8:52 am)Mathilda Wrote:
(March 31, 2016 at 3:46 am)Alex K Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usl_TvIFtG0

That guy pronounced words rather strangely. Mogue not Moog. Consoe not Console.

It's always the same problem with people who hail new technology, they don't take into account the human aspect of it. Yes, you could have a Moog (sorry, mogue) instead of a room full of instruments. But then you have a room full of one instrument that sounds like a Moog rather than a room full of infinitely more expressive instruments that sound better.

Would be pretty fun to play with though!

Looks like there was this initial enthusiasm about simulating "real" instruments electronically, but from a modern perspective, this idea is really outdated. We can have a much better recreation of instrumental sound with digital sampling and signal processing. My Digital Piano recreates a Kawai Grand with meticulous detail down to sympathetic resonance. No need to synthesize a bad approximation using a handful of oscillators.
One has to view the "mogue" as an instrument in its own right - one would set it up to fail and not do it justice at the same time if one thought of it as a simulator of real instruments, as some people apparently did back then, when its real strength is the generation of completely new sounds. The fact that it is analogue makes it sound "organic" enough so it has the charm of a natural independent instrument rather than a cheap knockoff as with later synthesizers specifically designed to (badly) imitate real instruments.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(March 31, 2016 at 8:57 am)Alex K Wrote: Looks like there was this initial enthusiasm about simulating "real" instruments electronically,  but from a modern perspective, this idea is really outdated. We can have a much better recreation of instrumental sound with digital sampling and signal processing. My Digital Piano recreates a Kawai Grand with meticulous detail down to sympathetic resonance. No need to synthesize a bad approximation using a handful of oscillators.
One has to view the "mogue" as an instrument in its own right - one would set it up to fail and not do it justice at the same time if one thought of it as a simulator of real instruments, as some people apparently did back then, when its real strength is the generation of completely new sounds. The fact that it is analogue makes it sound "organic" enough so it has the charm of a natural independent instrument rather than a cheap knockoff as with later synthesizers specifically designed to (badly) imitate real instruments.

Completely agree.

I actually really hated the digital synthesisers that came afterwards. The synth sound in 80's pop music always sounded terrible to my ears. But the moog never did. It actually sounded like a proper instrument. And it's a relief that synths nowadays are now good enough.
(March 31, 2016 at 9:20 am)Mathilda Wrote: Completely agree.

I actually really hated the digital synthesisers that came afterwards. The synth sound in 80's pop music always sounded terrible to my ears. But the moog never did. It actually sounded like a proper instrument. And it's a relief that synths nowadays are now good enough.

Whether they're good enough really depends on your standards. Of course they still sound more sterile than a real grand piano in the flesh. This is the one I have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reJwR7HHQt4

It's not really a Synth in the usual sense, these things alwys have a large database of separate recordings of all the keys of a real grand piano, and then funnel that through various signal processing units. It's not near as good at recreating other instruments, but it has very good E pianos and a perfect Hammond organ simulator built in which operates more like a traditional synthesizer in that it digitally recreates the electromechanical tone generation in the organ.

There are for example uncanny specialized simulators for acoustic and electric bass, such as the Spectrasonic Trilogy or Trillian

[edit]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7bWkwYNzdg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VkAzXdljTc
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Yeah wasn't really sure how to qualify good enough. I didn't want to come across as judgemental or snobbish. I will personally always prefer listening to the real instrument.
(March 31, 2016 at 10:15 am)Mathilda Wrote: Yeah wasn't really sure how to qualify good enough. I didn't want to come across as judgemental or snobbish. I will personally always prefer listening to the real instrument.

It's great for practise (esp with headphones) but there's no reason to use it for recordings...

Two great versions of Mozart's Requiem....

Arsys Bourgogne

John Eliot Gardiner

(April 1, 2016 at 2:17 am)Minimalist Wrote: Two great versions of Mozart's Requiem....

Arsys Bourgogne

Very enjoyable so far! (The location and cinematography are also cool). Did they botch the beginning a bit there though?
The only "complaint" I have is that the soloists are a bit of a mismatch to my ears, especially the two men. At times I get the impression that Wagner's Siegfried accidentally stumbled into a baroque oratorio. I think I remember seeing the soprano in Herreweghes productions and I love what she is doing here.

I'm not going to turn into a big fan of Chopin, but Zimerman is always great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTCol3eIF24

Sorry to get off new topic, but I was hooked on synthesisers the moment dad bought home the moog record with house of the rising sun and popcorn. :-)
(April 1, 2016 at 6:45 am)Little lunch Wrote: Sorry to get off new topic, but I was hooked on synthesisers the moment dad bought home the moog record with house of the rising sun and popcorn. :-)

Have you heard this:

[Image: 102695358-03-01?$re-zoomed$]

?

:-D

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for country music singers similar to Alan Jackson rado84 5 893 July 31, 2023 at 10:27 am
Last Post: rado84
  Christian music you actually like? JairCrawford 31 3580 June 17, 2022 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  New Ahem Music Istvan 1 487 March 20, 2022 at 3:39 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  New music, Old music Ahriman 79 8308 November 5, 2021 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Listening to music popeyespappy 35 4460 September 27, 2021 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Music Composition FlatAssembler 1 311 May 22, 2020 at 3:08 pm
  Carrie fans and country music. Brian37 13 1558 May 16, 2020 at 8:54 pm
  My new favorite song of all time excluding classical music Alex K 1 632 January 26, 2020 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Never a flash in the pan. MUSIC. Brian37 19 2030 December 7, 2019 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: no one
  Music videos that rep the POTUS'S idiocy. Brian37 9 1942 October 22, 2019 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah