Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 9:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Problem with Christians
RE: The Problem with Christians
(April 11, 2016 at 1:06 pm)Esquilax Wrote:
(April 11, 2016 at 11:04 am)AAA Wrote: You ought to read The God Delusion by Dawkins. The whole thing (so far) is negative evidence against religion. The theme is: the religious are stupid, therefore there is no God. I have yet to see any science, while Signature in the Cell is full of it.

Leaving aside that you're wrong about the contents of the book, this is also a false equivalence: The God Delusion is not a science book and specifically has at its aim the deconstruction and examination of religious claims. Meanwhile, Signature in the Cell is ostensibly a science text meant to demonstrate a specific, scientifically based claim. They aren't remotely the same thing.

Wikepedia summarized the book as Dawkins showing that belief in a personal God was going strongly against evidence, which is what I hoped it would focus on. But like I said, I'm not too far into it yet. If all he was trying to do was display religion's crummy past, then he has succeeded so far. I don't think anyone would argue that many horrible things have been done in the name of religion.
(April 11, 2016 at 11:44 am)TubbyTubby Wrote:
(April 11, 2016 at 11:04 am)AAA Wrote: You ought to read The God Delusion by Dawkins. The whole thing (so far) is negative evidence against religion. The theme is: the religious are stupid, therefore there is no God. I have yet to see any science, while Signature in the Cell is full of it.

Not so much stupid as delusional victim in my opinion, theists do have quite a monopoly on arrogance generally speaking though from what I read on here (and the odd encounter in public). Yeh, I'd go with arrogantly deluded, not stupid. Or would it be deludedly arrogant?

You don't think Dawkins is arrogant? He makes some pretty arrogant statements in the book. He's a very angry man, it's actually sort of sad that someone can be so filled with hate.
And do you know how we can tell you're lying? It's because you don't actually present some of these "arrogant statements" for us to assess, you just declare them.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Every time I encounter Christian pity, I inevitably imagine a gaping asshole in which they can shove it.
(April 11, 2016 at 4:04 pm)AAA Wrote: You don't think Dawkins is arrogant? He makes some pretty arrogant statements in the book. He's a very angry man, it's actually sort of sad that someone can be so filled with hate.

Arrogant? He's got an opinion, the same way as you got one. The difference being, he's a world renowned scientist, who knows what he's talking about when talking about evolution. And another difference being that you don't notice your own arrogance, which comes with a healthy dose of ignorance as a byproduct.

Which is to be expected from someone attending a christian college. It always reminds of the good old soviet union, where they had so called colleges too, aimed to keep the attendants in line.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(April 11, 2016 at 5:12 pm)abaris Wrote:
(April 11, 2016 at 4:04 pm)AAA Wrote: You don't think Dawkins is arrogant? He makes some pretty arrogant statements in the book. He's a very angry man, it's actually sort of sad that someone can be so filled with hate.

Arrogant? He's got an opinion, the same way as you got one. The difference being, he's a world renowned scientist, who knows what he's talking about when talking about evolution. And another difference being that you don't notice your own arrogance, which comes with a healthy dose of ignorance as a byproduct.

Which is to be expected from someone attending a christian college. It always reminds of the good old soviet union, where they had so called colleges too, aimed to keep the attendants in line.

A Christian college that doesn't include invertebrate zoology or comparative anatomy in its biology curricula, no less. I wonder what other inconvenient academic disciplines they accidentally/on-purpose choose not to expose their students to? Pathetic.

But at least AAA thinks he knows what he needs to know about biology to attack its theoretical underpinnings.

Yeah, Dawkins is the arrogant one. Rolleyes
(April 11, 2016 at 4:06 pm)Stimbo Wrote: And do you know how we can tell you're lying? It's because you don't actually present some of these "arrogant statements" for us to  assess, you just declare them.

We also know he lies because of his constant boasts of being "a top biology student at a top college", yet he doesn't understand the simplest biological facts or theories, stuff that I learnt shortly after I started secondary school at age 11.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(April 11, 2016 at 6:02 pm)Constable Dorfl Wrote: We also know he lies because of his constant boasts of being "a top biology student at a top college", yet he doesn't understand the simplest biological facts or theories, stuff that I learnt shortly after I started secondary school at age 11.

A college he won't name, lest it's reputation gets hurt. So either he's got such a low self esteem to believe he could single handely destroy it's reputation, or he still got enough of self awareness that it's not the most august place of learning.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(April 11, 2016 at 4:06 pm)Stimbo Wrote: And do you know how we can tell you're lying? It's because you don't actually present some of these "arrogant statements" for us to  assess, you just declare them.

Point out one lie
(April 11, 2016 at 6:02 pm)Constable Dorfl Wrote:

We also know he lies because of his constant boasts of being "a top biology student at a top college", yet he doesn't understand the simplest biological facts or theories, stuff that I learnt shortly after I started secondary school at age 11.

I never said I was "a top biology student at a top college". I'm a biology student who does well. Don't put words in my mouth.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8293 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 32476 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 52886 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Christians : my problem with Christianity, some questions. WinterHold 115 20099 March 28, 2015 at 7:43 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  The Problem of Evil, Christians, and Inconsistency Mudhammam 46 10575 September 24, 2014 at 5:22 am
Last Post: genkaus
  The first Christians weren't Bible Christians Phatt Matt s 60 16185 March 26, 2014 at 10:26 am
Last Post: rightcoaster
  Now Christians piss of Christians. leo-rcc 10 10018 December 11, 2010 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris