Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 22, 2024, 6:55 am

Poll: If you were were having a baby boy tomorrow, would you opt for him to be circumcised?
This poll is closed.
Yes, hoes
20.00%
11 20.00%
Hellz no
80.00%
44 80.00%
Total 55 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
To circumcise or not to circumcise?
RE: To circumcise or not to circumcise?
(June 10, 2016 at 1:32 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(June 10, 2016 at 1:27 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: It is an unrequired, quite major cosmetic procedure you are thinking of inflicting on a minor without its consent. If the kid wants a cut Pee Pee when its old enough to make that decision then he should get it done, the same as deciding to get a piercing or tattoo. But it should be his choice not yours.

Personally if I was a dude I'd want my parents to have opted for me to get it done while I was still little and too young to remember or understand what was going on. I imagine a circumcision must be quite traumatic for a grown man to get done.

So, I'm going to treat this seriously, and with the due consideration it deserves.

First of all, I'm noting a contradiction in your position here: when you're arguing against the idea that it should be held off until the person is old enough to decide for themselves, circumcision is "quite traumatic," but when you're arguing for doing it to babies, it's "not a major surgery," and is totally not a big deal. Which is it? What this looks like to me, is that you're just saying things to suit your conclusion, and not due to a consistent view you're constructing as you argue.

Secondly, given that the only benefit you've provided for circumcision is that it aligns with your own personal aesthetic sensibilities- which I would really, really hope would be an irrelevant concern for any children you have, as regards their genitals- then aren't you assuming without cause that your child will happen to share those sensibilities when they grow older, such that they'd "want" any such thing? Why do that? Now, you could certainly guide a child's sensibilities down the same path, but aside from being kind of a weird thing to do as a parent, all that really does is add another step to a circular argument routing back, in the end, to your own personal opinions... which I hope you understand shouldn't have any bearing on the appearance of other people, yes?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(June 11, 2016 at 2:12 pm)Emjay Wrote: With your new privileges, I don't suppose you'd be willing to put me back to 'emjay'? otherwise I've got to wait another nine months or so before I can change my name back... I hate being capitalised  Big Grin

I don't actually know how to do anything. I did figure out how to get rid of the pesky red bar on my screen. I think you need an admin for name changes though. Sorry Sad
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
These comments make me feel like I should have some vendetta against my parents for citcumcising me but I really couldn't care less. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

There was a study done in 2015 where uncircumcised men voluntarily were circumcised to test the difference when it comes to sex. The study basically said that there was little to no difference. Add on to that the fact that infections and disease are easier to catch when you're uncircumcised.....I don't know, I don't think it's this terrible barbaric practice everyone is describing.

I get why you'd oppose it, since the infant has no say. But being circumcised or not....it's really not a huge deal
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(June 11, 2016 at 2:50 pm)Losty Wrote:
(June 11, 2016 at 2:12 pm)Emjay Wrote: With your new privileges, I don't suppose you'd be willing to put me back to 'emjay'? otherwise I've got to wait another nine months or so before I can change my name back... I hate being capitalised  Big Grin

I don't actually know how to do anything. I did figure out how to get rid of the pesky red bar on my screen. I think you need an admin for name changes though. Sorry Sad

That's okay Losty Smile You've probably got loads of new features to get the hang of now. Thanks for considering it anyway  Heart
They're not features, they're bugs!

No, wait...
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(June 11, 2016 at 3:29 pm)Aegon Wrote: These comments make me feel like I should have some vendetta against my parents for citcumcising me but I really couldn't care less. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

There was a study done in 2015 where uncircumcised men voluntarily were circumcised to test the difference when it comes to sex. The study basically said that there was little to no difference. Add on to that the fact that infections and disease are easier to catch when you're uncircumcised.....I don't know, I don't think it's this terrible barbaric practice everyone is describing.

I get why you'd oppose it, since the infant has no say. But being circumcised or not....it's really not a huge deal

Interesting to know. I've only seen two people with circumcisions so I don't have much to compare it to. But trying not to get too crude here, I gave one of them a helping hand as it were but we mutually decided to give up on that cos I didn't have a clue how to do it... I have no idea how you masturbate without a foreskin cos it seems to me to be intrinsic to the process.
Lol emjay...a little lube you silly Squishball

0/10

(June 11, 2016 at 3:47 pm)Losty Wrote: Lol emjay...a little lube you silly Squishball

lol nah... that just seems like a recipe for whacking someone in the eye  Big Grin
I think a handy without lube on a circumcised guy sounds painful. I know some guys who like it. Circumcised guys, in my experience, like a death grip also. It tires your arm out much faster lol

0/10

If you circumcise your kid then continually tell it that it was for the best, and it's known no different, it will probably believe you. Not much different to indoctrination.

Except of course if it goes horribly wrong. Then it may well hate you for it, whatever you try and tell them; but especially if you had no good reason to do it at all.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum