Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 25, 2024, 1:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
A Loving God
RE: A Loving God
(September 26, 2016 at 8:22 am)robvalue Wrote: "It's not me threatening you! It's my boss!"

"Tell your boss to come here and do it himself."

"No. He's invisible. And timeless. And shapeless. And non-physical. And outside reality. And can't be detected. And acts exactly like he doesn't exist."

"Your boss doesn't sound very scary."

"He used to actually turn up and set people on fire and shit."

"Okay. Does he do that now?"

"Not since the invention of recorded media."

"Well, I'll take my chances."

You nailed it on the 3rd line.
“Life is like a grapefruit. Well, it's sort of orangey-yellow and dimpled on the outside, wet and squidgy in the middle. It's got pips inside, too. Oh, and some people have half a one for breakfast.”  - Ford Prefect
Thank you Big Grin

Shackles made of nothing don't hold anyone.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(September 26, 2016 at 5:19 am)chimp3 Wrote: Let's not forget the story of Ananais and Sapphira in the NT:

Acts 5 :

5 Now a man named Ananias, together with his wife Sapphira, also sold a piece of property. 2 With his wife’s full knowledge he kept back part of the money for himself, but brought the rest and put it at the apostles’ feet.
3 Then Peter said, “Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you received for the land? 4 Didn’t it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn’t the money at your disposal? What made you think of doing such a thing? You have not lied just to human beings but to God.”
5 When Ananias heard this, he fell down and died. And great fear seized all who heard what had happened. 6 Then some young men came forward, wrapped up his body, and carried him out and buried him.
7 About three hours later his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8 Peter asked her, “Tell me, is this the price you and Ananias got for the land?”
“Yes,” she said, “that is the price.”
9 Peter said to her, “How could you conspire to test the Spirit of the Lord? Listen! The feet of the men who buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out also.”
10 At that moment she fell down at his feet and died. Then the young men came in and, finding her dead, carried her out and buried her beside her husband. 11 Great fear seized the whole church and all who heard about these events.

(In this one God is like the loving bookie that you a gambiling debt to.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TruXhuAO4IY

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(September 26, 2016 at 8:34 am)mcolafson Wrote:
(September 26, 2016 at 8:22 am)robvalue Wrote: "It's not me threatening you! It's my boss!"

"Tell your boss to come here and do it himself."

"No. He's invisible. And timeless. And shapeless. And non-physical. And outside reality. And can't be detected. And acts exactly like he doesn't exist."

"Your boss doesn't sound very scary."

"He used to actually turn up and set people on fire and shit."

"Okay. Does he do that now?"
"Not since the invention of recorded media."

"Well, I'll take my chances."

You are wrong here, buddy.

Jesus appeared to people since the invention of recorded media.

Here is one of these appearances:

http://www.breakingworldnewstoday.com/20...w6700.html

I'd love to read what's on that page, but the lying greedy bastúns who own it are telling me that my adblocker is "interfering with the layout of the site" and it won't display properly. Cheep bolloxes.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
... The second (the we will be consumed/Burnt up) by Hell fire That we can't literally hang on forever. Was my 'experience' of Hell even before I knew of anything besides of the 'burn forever' version.
(September 26, 2016 at 8:01 am)chimp3 Wrote:
(September 25, 2016 at 10:19 pm)Lek Wrote: You guys wouldn't convert no matter what I say.  OK, if you're a believer you will never have to suffer (wink, wink).  Is that better?

I mean to say that you may be doing a great job of turnings Christians into atheists. Bait them with the "Loving God" title then reel them in with the callous emotionally distant tyrannt sky daddy nonsense. Thanks for making the case for our team so very well.

I don't have to say much of anything. You all are my best tools for leading people to Christ. Please continue.
(September 26, 2016 at 12:59 pm)Lek Wrote:
(September 26, 2016 at 8:01 am)chimp3 Wrote: I mean to say that you may be doing a great job of turnings Christians into atheists. Bait them with the "Loving God" title then reel them in with the callous emotionally distant tyrannt sky daddy nonsense. Thanks for making the case for our team so very well.

I don't have to say much of anything.  You all are my best tools for leading people to Christ.  Please continue.

Are these easily impressed or otherwise mentally impaired people you speak of?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(September 26, 2016 at 12:28 pm)Drich Wrote: ... The second (the we will be consumed/Burnt up) by Hell fire That we can't literally hang on forever. Was my 'experience' of Hell even before I knew of anything besides of the 'burn forever' version.

You might be right Drich. You're the one with the experience that has solidly stayed with you. Either way I don't intend to spend any time there.
(September 26, 2016 at 12:59 pm)Lek Wrote: I don't have to say much of anything.  You all are my best tools for leading people to Christ.  Please continue.

Jesus doesn't have to say much of anything either, all he has to do is swallow. Does he? If not, I couldn't be bothered.
(September 26, 2016 at 6:11 pm)Cato Wrote:
(September 26, 2016 at 12:59 pm)Lek Wrote: I don't have to say much of anything.  You all are my best tools for leading people to Christ.  Please continue.

Jesus doesn't have to say much of anything either, all he has to do is swallow. Does he? If not, I couldn't be bothered.

Jesus has much to say. Some listen and believe; some listen and don't believe; most just don't listen. I can't make people listen or believe. I just put his word out because God wants me to and I care about people and want the best for them. The rest, I don't worry too much about.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A loving person Foxaèr 44 4984 September 27, 2016 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: Sterben
  Loving Him means loving "them" Strider 9 2988 February 21, 2015 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12750 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  God get's angry, Moses changes God's plans of wrath, God regrets "evil" he planned Mystic 9 6756 February 16, 2012 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Strongbad