Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 2:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Four proofs of the nonexistence of God
RE: Four proofs of the nonexistence of God
Are you going to start arguing against your nothing position now? Or do you not think that the universe is expanding?
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(July 22, 2017 at 7:36 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Are you going to start arguing against your nothing position now?  Or do you not think that the universe is expanding?

The Universe is expanding to the same certainty that the Earth is moving about its axis and about the Sun.  But, I am asking you, "What is the Universe expanding into?"
I don't know.... perhaps nothing. How can it be expanding, if it is infinite?
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
Interaktive, don't you think it's absurd to disprove something, like God, that doesn't have any proof of existence in the first place? What's next "proofs of the nonexistence of pink Trolls"?
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(July 23, 2017 at 2:03 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: I don't know.... perhaps nothing.  How can it be expanding, if it is infinite?

It's called "infinities within infinities" (between the numbers 1 and 2, there are an infinite number of numbers), but "nothing" exists, then?  This is quite an admission (from a believer, nonetheless), to say that there is a point in reality that physicists can call nothing!

Point is that the so-called "metaphysical absurdities" exist within Nature, and, they exist within Dr. Craig's theological beliefs, either actual infinities or "nothingness".  And, so, it's a matter of picking one's poison -- either the Universe contains actual infinities or at some level there is nothing.
How about using books based on science to refute invisible sky hero claims?

1. The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins.
2. God The Failed Hypothesis, Victor Stenger.
3. The New Atheism, Victor Stenger.
(July 17, 2017 at 5:51 am)Interaktive Wrote: The existence of earlier gods than the biblical gods who created man and created a flood, says that the biblical god is false.

No. One fairy tale does not make another one wrong, except when it comes to believers who chose the fairy tale with which they grew.

Story about world being created by god Buma does not make story about christian god doing the same false. They're both wrong, one is just more popular.

Quote:But in the early gods no one believes.

Ahura Mazda is quite old god yet people still believe in him.

Quote:Since there is no biblical god, for example, the Sumerian gods are no longer believed, it means that the world is godless.

World isn't godless cause Sumerian gods aren't believed in now but cause there is no evidence at all to even suggest possibility of existence of something called god.

Quote:Whoever has a high aikju and good mental health will come to the right conclusion that there is no God.

So believers are idiots? Ever heard of indoctrination?
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.

The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates.
(July 23, 2017 at 7:02 am)Jehanne Wrote:
(July 23, 2017 at 2:03 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: I don't know.... perhaps nothing.  How can it be expanding, if it is infinite?

It's called "infinities within infinities" (between the numbers 1 and 2, there are an infinite number of numbers), but "nothing" exists, then?  This is quite an admission (from a believer, nonetheless), to say that there is a point in reality that physicists can call nothing!

Point is that the so-called "metaphysical absurdities" exist within Nature, and, they exist within Dr. Craig's theological beliefs, either actual infinities or "nothingness".  And, so, it's a matter of picking one's poison -- either the Universe contains actual infinities or at some level there is nothing.

I don't believe, that what they are describing in the expansion of the universe, is analogous, to adding infinitesimally small amounts to a real number infinity.  Also, in doing this, there is somewhat of a trick.  They are changing the units in order to do this.  If you stick to one unit of measure (Planck Length for instance), then there is a finite number of them, in any given distance.  If you can cut that in half, there is still a finite number.  You can keep cutting them in half, but the result is always a finite number, it is only the process which is infinite, and I would add, doesn't seem to match reality. 

So how does something, which goes on without end, expand or become bigger (more)?  Even if it is my very very small amounts (or increasingly small), you said, that this is a sure as the earth orbiting about it's axis around the sun.  I don't think that "infinities within infinities" explains this.  You are still talking about expansion or an increase.  

I also think that there is a difficulty of equivocation here in what is called the "universe".  You can go back in time based on the expansion (this is actually measured a few different ways to my knowledge), and come to the big bang and an age to the universe (13.82 billion years).  On the other hand, some refer to the universe as everything even what we speculate on, and cannot observe or make any declarations with much of any certainty.  In the first case, the universe does appear to be finite.  In the second it is mostly just guesses which are unsupported. 

What are the metaphysical absurdities of nothingness, which you mentioned, can you be more specific?
(July 23, 2017 at 9:17 am)Ivan Denisovich Wrote:
(July 17, 2017 at 5:51 am)Interaktive Wrote: The existence of earlier gods than the biblical gods who created man and created a flood, says that the biblical god is false.

No. One fairy tale does not make another one wrong, except when it comes to believers who chose the fairy tale with which they grew.

Story about world being created by god Buma does not make story about christian god doing the same false. They're both wrong, one is just more popular.

Quote:But in the early gods no one believes.

Ahura Mazda is quite old god yet people still believe in him.

Quote:Since there is no biblical god, for example, the Sumerian gods are no longer believed, it means that the world is godless.

World isn't godless cause Sumerian gods aren't believed in now but cause there is no evidence at all to even suggest possibility of existence of something called god.

Quote:Whoever has a high aikju and good mental health will come to the right conclusion that there is no God.

So believers are idiots? Ever heard of indoctrination?

Idiocy/stupidity are not the same things as insanity/mental illness. The latter can be treated and fortunately religion falls under that category. But until they get cured of that, yes, that's crazy shit. But they're not (all) stupid, because that shit is incurable.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
(July 23, 2017 at 12:59 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(July 23, 2017 at 7:02 am)Jehanne Wrote: It's called "infinities within infinities" (between the numbers 1 and 2, there are an infinite number of numbers), but "nothing" exists, then?  This is quite an admission (from a believer, nonetheless), to say that there is a point in reality that physicists can call nothing!

I don't believe, that what they are describing in the expansion of the universe, is analogous, to adding infinitesimally small amounts to a real number infinity.  Also, in doing this, there is somewhat of a trick.  They are changing the units in order to do this.  If you stick to one unit of measure (Planck Length for instance), then there is a finite number of them, in any given distance.  If you can cut that in half, there is still a finite number.  You can keep cutting them in half, but the result is always a finite number, it is only the process which is infinite, and I would add, doesn't seem to match reality. 

So how does something, which goes on without end, expand or become bigger (more)?  Even if it is my very very small amounts (or increasingly small), you said, that this is a sure as the earth orbiting about it's axis around the sun.  I don't think that "infinities within infinities" explains this.  You are still talking about expansion or an increase.  

I also think that there is a difficulty of equivocation here in what is called the "universe".  You can go back in time based on the expansion (this is actually measured a few different ways to my knowledge), and come to the big bang and an age to the universe (13.82 billion years).  On the other hand, some refer to the universe as everything even what we speculate on, and cannot observe or make any declarations with much of any certainty.  In the first case, the universe does appear to be finite.  In the second it is mostly just guesses which are unsupported. 

What are the metaphysical absurdities of nothingness, which you mentioned, can you be more specific?

The expansion of the Universe is with respect to its radius of curvature:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedmann_equations
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shape_of_the_universe

It is the radius of curvature that is increasing over time, even in a universe with infinite volume.

As for the metaphysical absurdities of nothingness, I don't think that there are any; that is a claim that WLC makes, not me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do humans always accept proofs when presented to them? Mystic 59 13152 January 2, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Churches losing membership four times faster than they are gaining it Mister Agenda 38 6720 March 27, 2015 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Four arguments against the existence of God Mudhammam 61 16065 September 24, 2014 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Hundreds of proofs of nothing! MeasH 20 9319 September 12, 2012 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  The Four Horsemen Napoléon 10 3435 August 26, 2012 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  The Four Horsemen ... 2 hour discussion. KichigaiNeko 3 2271 January 13, 2012 at 4:46 am
Last Post: ElDinero
  Hundreds of Proofs of God's Existence Paul the Human 27 11109 October 10, 2010 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Nitsuj
  proofs of existence of God, moslem 44 21212 January 6, 2009 at 8:52 am
Last Post: moslem