Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 3, 2024, 1:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A rational explanation for hell?
RE: A rational explanation for hell?
Better than senseless ...
Trying to update my sig ...
As far as I understand it he's amazed at how stupid you are; it's not that you've made a good point, it's that what you've said is totally impossible to make sense of. I'm not sure the fact that you come out with statements so incomprehensible that people can't come up with a reply to them is a good thing.
(July 31, 2011 at 7:26 pm)Epimethean Wrote: That purple bird is much more important than the imaginary sky wizard.

And potentially far more likely to exist.

C Rod,

Your argument basically seems to boil down to the fact that since no who is dead has come back and told you there is no afterlife, you will hold onto the possibility that it exists. What if I told you that since no one has been to the surface of the sun, that I will hold onto the possibility that a man lives on the surface? The rational response to that would be that belief is irrational because it subverts the laws of nature as we understand them. Since the surface of the sun could not be personally observed, should I refuse to let go of my belief that someone lives on it? No, because it defies everything we know and understand.

The concept of an afterlife is a man living on the sun. You will never personally observe the contrary, but that is no reason to still believe in it.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Quote:if out of your heart you do not care for him than why are you angry.
Firstly, I cannot care about a being if I don't even believe it exists and second, you cannot hate something you don't believe exists.

Quote: If you do not want him and he gives you not him is that good because your getting what your want or do you want him?
It's not about whether I want him or not. Theists claim there is a god and as an atheist I'm simply rejecting that claim due to lack of evidence, value and explanatory power.

Quote:Should he be this "thing" you wish to know or justify yourself with or should you wish to justify him?
Nope, just want evidence. Evidence that supports this things existence.

Quote:flawed understanding?
Perhaps it's you who lacks understanding?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(August 1, 2011 at 3:30 am)Ace Otana Wrote: Firstly, I cannot care about a being if I don't even believe it exists and second, you cannot hate something you don't believe exists.

Although I side with the atheists every time on these issues, as a Deist I take a small exception to this rule.

In a way, I do hate their god. I hate what he represents. I hate the evil he packages and sells as righteousness. I loath his lies and his sadistic nature. I truly hate that he loves himself so much that he would condemn billions upon billions of people to eternal damnation and then claim that they did it to themselves. Their god is no different than a wife beater who proclaims to his battered spouse, "See what you made me do!"

I hate their god. I know he's completely fictional, but you know what ... so is the character, Ross from NBC's sitcom, Friends ... and I've always hated that whiny fucker too.

Just because somethings not real, doesn't mean I don't have the right to hate it.
[Image: Evolution.png]

You're right. The character they invented is a right piece of work. Total arsewhole. A dictator who's ego is many times bigger than himself, and who doesn't seem to give a shit about anything. No interest in taking responsibility for his actions. That kind of character resembles the minds of deluded men. I hate theists for their disgusting beliefs in such a vile being. It's even worse when they try to rationalise it.

Their god concept is a vile monster. I can't hate the being here in reality because there is no such thing but their made up sky daddy, yeah he's a total bastard.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
You guys just love your fantasies right?
(August 1, 2011 at 6:49 am)fr0d0 Wrote: You guys just love your fantasies right?

[Image: lol-044.gif] [Image: lol-049.gif]
Think it's the other way round mate.

Anyone remember that little bit I wrote about believers feeling that they are part of the chosen group, saved from his punishment, and as such, it doesn't concern them. Some go even farther, for any dictator, and like to tell others that there are no camps, no gulags, no impropriety. It's a psychological defense mechanism. No one likes to be shown where they are wrong. We as atheist criticize the god myth, but the believer interprets this as an attack on their ability to accurately perceive and assess the world around them. This has long been known to "cult de-programmers".
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Explanation Required by the 12 guys? + the secret. Ferrocyanide 26 1962 December 20, 2021 at 12:58 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Evolutionary explanation of religion cyber_freddy 33 2927 December 25, 2020 at 6:52 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  HELL or not HELL? Little Rik 91 12416 November 10, 2018 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Rational Theism Foxaèr 17 5505 May 2, 2018 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, vaahaa 19 2933 September 18, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Question Is theism more rational in a pre-scientific context? Tea Earl Grey Hot 6 1605 March 7, 2017 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  No rational case for God = increasingly desperate attacks on atheists Mudhammam 58 15164 July 19, 2014 at 12:11 am
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Possible explanation of supernatural religious visitations BlackMason 15 4354 May 13, 2014 at 5:21 am
Last Post: Confused Ape
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - thunderhulk 30 8028 December 16, 2013 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - Jaya Jagannath 15 6504 October 19, 2013 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: Jackalope