Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 27, 2024, 3:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Testimony is Evidence
RE: Testimony is Evidence
(August 22, 2017 at 3:01 pm)SteveII Wrote:
(August 22, 2017 at 5:54 am)Sal Wrote: To declare something as evidence takes a whole canopy of references, not just eye-witness accounts. Stuff like repeatable observations/experiments, several independent observers, blind testing and so on.

No, it doesn't. Any eyewitness account is evidence. You are confusing the word evidence with the word proof. Evidence refers to pieces of information or facts that help us establish the truth of something. Proof is a conclusion about the truth of something after analyzing the evidence. Evidence is suggestive of a conclusion. Proof is concrete and conclusive. Proof can also have different thresholds: Anywhere from more likely than not (preponderance of the evidence), to beyond a reasonable doubt, to absolute. These are all arrived at by considering evidence.

Too bad for you that testimony is the weakest of evidences and hearsay is the weakest form of testimony.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
All that people telling stories helps us to establish is that people tell stories.  Nothing within those stories is capable of certifying or establishing the accuracy of their contents. Even by your own description of evidence, Steve, testimony doesn't count.

Here, try;

-I just ate a homemade quarter pounder. Two slices of roundtop whole wheat and two slices of american cheese

There's my testimony. What facts above help you to establish the truth of something, and what truth have you established by reference to that testimony?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 21, 2017 at 9:10 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: I am an idiot, and don't understand the difference between evidence and assertion.

Fixed your post for truthfullness and accuracy.

Seeing as you've already had this unevidenced assertion debunked in your previous thread, I see no reason to humour you this time.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(August 22, 2017 at 3:05 pm)The Gentleman Bastard Wrote:
(August 22, 2017 at 3:01 pm)SteveII Wrote: No, it doesn't. Any eyewitness account is evidence. You are confusing the word evidence with the word proof. Evidence refers to pieces of information or facts that help us establish the truth of something. Proof is a conclusion about the truth of something after analyzing the evidence. Evidence is suggestive of a conclusion. Proof is concrete and conclusive. Proof can also have different thresholds: Anywhere from more likely than not (preponderance of the evidence), to beyond a reasonable doubt, to absolute. These are all arrived at by considering evidence.

Too bad for you that testimony is the weakest of evidences and hearsay is the weakest form of testimony.

Most of the time you don't get physical evidence--especially for events. So, the best evidence possible is often going to be testimonial evidence.
(August 22, 2017 at 3:17 pm)SteveII Wrote:
(August 22, 2017 at 3:05 pm)The Gentleman Bastard Wrote: Too bad for you that testimony is the weakest of evidences and hearsay is the weakest form of testimony.

Most of the time you don't get physical evidence--especially for events. So, the best evidence possible is often going to be testimonial evidence.

Best possible =/= good enough.

The difference between atheists and morons is, to the atheist, not good enough is not good enough. To the theist moron, not good enough becomes good enough if you say Jesus three times.
(August 22, 2017 at 5:54 am)Sal Wrote: To declare something as evidence takes a whole canopy of references, not just eye-witness accounts. Stuff like repeatable observations/experiments, several independent observers, blind testing and so on.

No, it doesn't. Any eyewitness account is evidence. You are confusing the word evidence with the word proof. Evidence refers to pieces of information or facts that help us establish the truth of something. Proof is a conclusion about the truth of something after analyzing the evidence. Evidence is suggestive of a conclusion. Proof is concrete and conclusive. Proof can also have different thresholds: Anywhere from more likely than not (preponderance of the evidence), to beyond a reasonable doubt, to absolute. These are all arrived at by considering evidence.

Sure...eye witness testimony may very well be evidence, but it's not necessarily evidence for the particular claim it's being asserted as evidence for.

If I claim I spoke to the devil last night and he told me to do a square dance around Big Ben and then kill everyone, my testimony may actually be evidence that I'm a paranoid schizophrenic.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
Testimony is evidence?

Damn, Mormonism is true now.

Fuck . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Quote:No, it doesn't. Any eyewitness account is evidence. You are confusing the word evidence with the word proof.

So you think that you can walk in to a court of law, say you saw someone steal something and that's it?  No one is going to question your word?

Testimony becomes evidence when the defense attorney says "no more questions" and even at that point it is up to the jury to decide how credible the witnesses' account was.  You seem to have no concept of the difference between credible and credulous!  Which does not surprise me.  I wouldn't take your word that the sky was blue without some heavy duty corroborating evidence.  This is what happens when you profess to believing in fairy tales.  You lose credibility.

You are confusing the word evidence with the word proof.

They're kind of one in the same there buddy.

Proof http://www.dictionary.com/browse/proof?s=t
noun
1. evidence sufficient to establish a thing as true, or to produce belief in its truth.

Evidence http://www.dictionary.com/browse/evidence?s=t
noun
1. that which tends to prove or disprove something; ground for belief; proof.
(August 22, 2017 at 3:17 pm)SteveII Wrote:
(August 22, 2017 at 3:05 pm)The Gentleman Bastard Wrote: Too bad for you that testimony is the weakest of evidences and hearsay is the weakest form of testimony.

Being the only evidence doesn't keep it from being shitty, hearsay evidence. Shitty evidence may be good enough for you, but I have higher standards.

Aside from supernatural claims, what kind of event do you think leaves no physical evidence?
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Neurosurgeon Provides Evidence Against Materialism Guard of Guardians 41 4886 June 17, 2019 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12803 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Testimony: Are we being hypocritical? LadyForCamus 86 9625 November 22, 2017 at 11:37 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true? Mudhammam 268 34331 February 3, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Anecdotal Evidence RoadRunner79 395 56450 December 14, 2016 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  What philosophical evidence is there against believing in non-physical entities? joseph_ 150 13138 September 3, 2016 at 11:26 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The nature of evidence Wryetui 150 16011 May 6, 2016 at 6:21 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Witness Evidence RoadRunner79 248 37809 December 17, 2015 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence RoadRunner79 184 31281 November 13, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Miracles are useless as evidence Pizza 0 1254 March 15, 2015 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Pizza