Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 3:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God and the dilemma with unfalsifiability
RE: God and the dilemma with unfalsifiability
(September 19, 2017 at 1:01 pm)Drich Wrote: [quote pid='1620573' dateline='1505483452']

(September 16, 2017 at 2:20 am)Astonished Wrote: This is why, when you get down to it, no one is a true Xtian/whatever. You have to pick a yes/no answer to EVERYTHING and always have a good, solid reason to justify it in either direction. So when the word is so inconsistent as to render this bullshit idea of absolutes completely moot, you just look like an asshole trying to argue otherwise. But then that's not even necessary for a prick like Dripschit, he seems to excel at it without needing to appeal to the bible.

As for Gullible Cretin suffering from the Dunning-Kruger effect, it's actually schizophrenia in his case, so it's far worse.

Here's the thing about Christianity most of you simply do not understand. Christ dying on the cross makes it ok not to be a yes or a no on everything. When Christ died for us the bar that each person know a yes or n to everything was removed. Now the standard is come with all that you can understand. what you get wrong will be forgiven what you don't understand will be filled in. There is no set standard anymore just do you absolute best.

[/quote]
Here's the thing about reality and your dipshittery you simply don't understand, fucko. Those events NOT having happened and not being possible to have happened and being made up to cover for something else that never happened and were not possible to have happened, makes the entire thing, drumroll please, moot. Even if the morality issue is something you evade (way to undermine the whole concept of Xtian morality, by the way, retard) which gives away your whole idea as wholesale horseshit, you then lose the entire 'but which god to believe' argument because you then have zero basis to say one is more likely than any other. You negate every, abso-fucking-lutely, EVERY aspect of your entire argument, and you don't even realize it. How much dumber can you be? Whoever put this in your head should be fucking hanged.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
(September 19, 2017 at 1:01 pm)Drich Wrote: Here's the thing about Christianity most of you simply do not understand. Christ dying on the cross makes it ok not to be a yes or a no on everything. When Christ died for us the bar that each person know a yes or n to everything was removed. Now the standard is come with all that you can understand. what you get wrong will be forgiven what you don't understand will be filled in. There is no set standard anymore just do you absolute best.

I reject the alleged sacrifice of this probably mythical son of a probably mythical god.  No one, absolutely no one, dies in my place for any reason whatsoever.  I am under no obligation to say thank you for something I never asked for.

I also choose my own yeses and nos and adhere to the highest possible standards to which I can reasonably aspire, without cluttering up the process with superfluous supernatural crap.

Finally, I am not interested in being forgiven by imaginary beings.

(September 19, 2017 at 3:06 pm)Astonished Wrote: Whoever put this in {Drich's} head should be fucking hanged.

Far, far too merciful.
(September 19, 2017 at 3:17 pm)Astreja Wrote: Finally, I am not interested in being forgiven by imaginary beings.

For something that is 100% the fault of the entity supposedly doing the 'forgiving'. I don't need to be forgiven for someone else's fuck-up. And I demand an apology for that fuck-up, which I may or may not accept as sufficient penance. So just as soon as the non-existent god is ready to kiss the fattest part of my ass, we can talk.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
(September 19, 2017 at 12:26 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(September 19, 2017 at 4:17 am)Hammy Wrote: I think the idea is that the God you think you worship is merely a part of your own imagination... therefore when you worship 'Him' you're merely worshiping a part of yourself.

But if he were merely a part of MY personal imagination, He would just be whatever I would have wanted Him to be.
I strongly suspect that "he" is.

Quote:I wouldn't be part of a larger faith.
Why not?  What about projection doesn't lend itself well to group participation?  Do you mean that you might have slight disagreements with other people of other sects?  Check.  How about disagreements with your own sects dogma?  Double Check.  

Quote:I wouldn't read about Catholic teaching and Natural Law in an attempt to learn more about God. God would just be whatever I came up with in my head.
You would, if you wanted your imaginary god to be catholic god (but, ofc, personalized for you) - like you do. Can you think of a single thing you disagree with "god" about? Do you think that you and the catholic next to you both agree on every theologically important issue? Do you imagine that this -other- catholic doesn't also believe that god agrees with him? You couldn't both be in mutual and contradictory agreement with god, you know. You could, however, be wrong...you could both be projecting., and you would both be doing it under the larger trend of a socially acceptable and broadly traditional schema - which is as common as fleas on a dog...despite your incredulity at the mere proposition.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
God came and spoke to me last night. I have no idea what he said because it was in Swahili! - said no theist ever.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(September 19, 2017 at 1:20 pm)Harry Nevis Wrote:
(September 19, 2017 at 12:26 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: But if he were merely a part of MY personal imagination, He would just be whatever I would have wanted Him to be. I wouldn't be part of a larger faith. I wouldn't read about Catholic teaching and Natural Law in an attempt to learn more about God. God would just be whatever I came up with in my head.

That would be true if your imagination was in no way influenced by your culture.  But it is.

(September 19, 2017 at 1:01 pm)Drich Wrote: [quote pid='1620573' dateline='1505483452']

Here's the thing about Christianity most of you simply do not understand. Christ dying on the cross makes it ok not to be a yes or a no on everything. When Christ died for us the bar that each person know a yes or n to everything was removed. Now the standard is come with all that you can understand. what you get wrong will be forgiven what you don't understand will be filled in. There is no set standard anymore just do you absolute best.
We ALL understand that this is what you believe.  What you can't see to grasp is that it is a ridiculous belief when you apply even a modicum of rational thought and critical analysis.  It all comes down to the fact that you believe because you want to, not because it makes sense.
[/quote]

Speaking in generalities again I see. "we all think we know what christian believe and why MOST believe what they do and THAT doesn't make sense." is what you should have wrote.

What I believe is a separation from doctrine and adherence to what the bible says. Why? Because it makes sense. How? because if you follow the God of the bible the God of the bible promised to send the Holy Spirit to literally help and train you. God has literally done that. God literally sent an angel pointed me in the direction I was to go and I simply did my best to stay on path. because of this He rewarded my success with more responsibility and punished my unfaithfulness.

what does not make sense to you about the carrot and the stick?

(September 19, 2017 at 3:06 pm)Astonished Wrote:

Here's the thing about reality and your dipshittery you simply don't understand, fucko. Those events NOT having happened and not being possible to have happened and being made up to cover for something else that never happened and were not possible to have happened, makes the entire thing, drumroll please, moot. Even if the morality issue is something you evade (way to undermine the whole concept of Xtian morality, by the way, retard) which gives away your whole idea as wholesale horseshit, you then lose the entire 'but which god to believe' argument because you then have zero basis to say one is more likely than any other. You negate every, abso-fucking-lutely, EVERY aspect of your entire argument, and you don't even realize it. How much dumber can you be? Whoever put this in your head should be fucking hanged.
[/quote]
.....And here's the thing about intellectual honesty. To assert an even had not happen (Jesus life and dying on the cross) when it is the SINGLE most covered/recorded person in History make that record not only possible, but by any other historical standard concrete history! The only other man who even comes close is Julius ceasar and his historical records are 1/2 that of Christ. Even so there is no doubt or even question of ceasar. When in fact if you are to question Christ then no other historical figure of that time period can remain a fixture, meaning you must question everyone and everything known, because nothig has been documented more and has survived as long as what was said about Christ has.

So again if you are honest you need to retract that whole Christ was "impossible" bs. once you do the rest of your argument becomes moot.

(September 19, 2017 at 3:17 pm)Astreja Wrote:
(September 19, 2017 at 1:01 pm)Drich Wrote: Here's the thing about Christianity most of you simply do not understand. Christ dying on the cross makes it ok not to be a yes or a no on everything. When Christ died for us the bar that each person know a yes or n to everything was removed. Now the standard is come with all that you can understand. what you get wrong will be forgiven what you don't understand will be filled in. There is no set standard anymore just do you absolute best.

I reject the alleged sacrifice of this probably mythical son of a probably mythical god.  No one, absolutely no one, dies in my place for any reason whatsoever.  I am under no obligation to say thank you for something I never asked for.

I also choose my own yeses and nos and adhere to the highest possible standards to which I can reasonably aspire, without cluttering up the process with superfluous supernatural crap.

Finally, I am not interested in being forgiven by imaginary beings.

(September 19, 2017 at 3:06 pm)Astonished Wrote: Whoever put this in {Drich's} head should be fucking hanged.

Far, far too merciful.

yeah/no I don't care what your specific position is.. I don't care what any of you believe. I am here to simply expose you to the truth of what scripture says so you can make a truly informed desision... what you do with it is your own business.

When I passed through the gates of hell and just beforethe torure of hell fire took controll of my mine the idea of eternity of this was unbearable for one reason. I rejected God on false pretenses, and the fact that I did not know any better, the fact that i like many of you made crap up or cut and pasted bits from several different sources other than the bible, was my biggest haunting memory.. The thought that I might have been a different person and worshiped God if I had only ever been exposed to God's truth was goig to be what tormented me the most...

So when I got my second chance... I do my best to make sure you d-bags have at least a truth understanding of God that you reject so that whatever your eternity... won't be so bad. (because again the bible says Jesus decides who is and who is not Christian, not us.)
And this is why I put the stupid cocksucker on ignore. Utterly vapid, devoid-of-substance responses. Pathetic.

---

What I believe is a separation from doctrine and adherence to what the bible says. Why? Because it makes sense. How? because if you follow the God of the bible the God of the bible promised to send the Holy Spirit to literally help and train you. God has literally done that. God literally sent an angel pointed me in the direction I was to go and I simply did my best to stay on path. because of this He rewarded my success with more responsibility and punished my unfaithfulness.

what does not make sense to you about the carrot and the stick?

It only makes any kind of sense if we believe in your god.  And if we accept your account as reality.  There are too many other variables for me to do that.

.....And here's the thing about intellectual honesty. To assert an even had not happen (Jesus life and dying on the cross) when it is the SINGLE most covered/recorded person in History make that record not only possible, but by any other historical standard concrete history! The only other man who even comes close is Julius ceasar and his historical records are 1/2 that of Christ. Even so there is no doubt or even question of ceasar. When in fact if you are to question Christ then no other historical figure of that time period can remain a fixture, meaning you must question everyone and everything known, because nothig has been documented more and has survived as long as what was said about Christ has.

So again if you are honest you need to retract that whole Christ was "impossible" bs. once you do the rest of your argument becomes moot.

This is pure exaggeration, if not outright lying.
"The last superstition of the human mind is the superstition that religion in itself is a good thing."  - Samuel Porter Putnam

(September 20, 2017 at 9:28 am)Drich Wrote: I don't care what any of you believe. I am here to simply expose you to the truth of what scripture says so you can make a truly informed desision... what you do with it is your own business

That decision was made over 50 years ago.  I rejected the Bible as just a storybook, and I continue to reject it today.

Quote:When I passed through the gates of hell and just before the torure of hell fire took controll of my mine the idea of eternity of this was unbearable for one reason. I rejected God on false pretenses, and the fact that I did not know any better, the fact that i like many of you made crap up or cut and pasted bits from several different sources other than the bible, was my biggest haunting memory.. The thought that I might have been a different person and worshiped God if I had only ever been exposed to God's truth was goig to be what tormented me the most...

Get mental help.  Seriously.  You have obviously been traumatized by proselytizing assholes who hijacked your life by instilling terror in you.  As I said, hanging is too merciful for bastards like that -- and I don't care who those bastards were.  Even if they were your mother and father, they psychologically abused you and robbed you of simple enjoyment of reality.  They need to suffer, not in hell but here in the real world.  If they're already dead there's nothing more that can be done and it's up to you to get the counseling you so desperately need to overcome your Stockholm Syndrome-like relationship with an ancient fiction.

And your hell-creating imaginary fiend can bite me.
(September 20, 2017 at 11:11 am)Astreja Wrote:
(September 20, 2017 at 9:28 am)Drich Wrote: I don't care what any of you believe. I am here to simply expose you to the truth of what scripture says so you can make a truly informed desision... what you do with it is your own business

That decision was made over 50 years ago.  I rejected the Bible as just a storybook, and I continue to reject it today.

Quote:When I passed through the gates of hell and just before the torure of hell fire took controll of my mine the idea of eternity of this was unbearable for one reason. I rejected God on false pretenses, and the fact that I did not know any better, the fact that i like many of you made crap up or cut and pasted bits from several different sources other than the bible, was my biggest haunting memory.. The thought that I might have been a different person and worshiped God if I had only ever been exposed to God's truth was goig to be what tormented me the most...

Get mental help.  Seriously.  You have obviously been traumatized by proselytizing assholes who hijacked your life by instilling terror in you.  As I said, hanging is too merciful for bastards like that -- and I don't care who those bastards were.  Even if they were your mother and father, they psychologically abused you and robbed you of simple enjoyment of reality.  They need to suffer, not in hell but here in the real world.  If they're already dead there's nothing more that can be done and it's up to you to get the counseling you so desperately need to overcome your Stockholm Syndrome-like relationship with an ancient fiction.

And your hell-creating imaginary fiend can bite me.

Actually grew up atheist-is and knew absolutely nothing of pass through it's gates. it wasn't to much later and much study that I could vett my experience of Hell with exactly what is described in scripture.

I can post a link as I have posted this story before, but the short version was I could not imagine what the big deal about hell was if we were dead. how do you burn a spirit right? so I mock God's people he sent to try I even sent a message back with one of them that if god gave me a chance I'd spit in his eye.... didn't quite turn out that way.

(September 20, 2017 at 4:57 am)ignoramus Wrote: God came and spoke to me last night. I have no idea what he said because it was in Swahili! - said no theist ever.

probably because the whole acts chapter two thing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Here's A Dilemma Minimalist 57 11694 February 28, 2015 at 12:41 am
Last Post: ManMachine
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 20542 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  Dilemma for theists! Darwinian 265 110430 May 6, 2012 at 8:06 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The euthyphro dilemma. theVOID 38 18082 September 17, 2010 at 11:06 am
Last Post: tackattack