Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 1:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My House Did not have a Builder (or did it?)
RE: My House Did not have a Builder (or did it?)
Atheism is not a belief system.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(December 30, 2017 at 12:49 pm)Dan Brooks Wrote:
(December 30, 2017 at 12:29 pm)Whateverist Wrote: Care to share your definition of "kind"?  Taxonomists now rely more heavily on DNA analysis than on morphology.

In regard to your signature, I've seen that type of faith in pretty much all belief systems, including atheism. It's the nature of a belief system. Once you believe you found your keys, you stop looking for them.

I guess you realize that atheism isn't by definition a belief system.  While all atheists necessarily have beliefs the only one we necessarily have in common is the shared hunch that whatever these god entities may be, they aren't worth losing sleep over.

(December 30, 2017 at 12:46 pm)Cyberman Wrote:
(December 29, 2017 at 6:21 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: "So, you have a shoebox...?"  Big Grin

The correct response is:

"Cardboard box? You were lucky!"

Sure would've beaten the sodden newspaper I was brought up under.
While the suffix '-ism' does generally denote a belief system*, the suffix in this case is attached to the 'theism' part of the word. The 'a-' prefix negates the rest of the word. Thus 'not theism'.

*Although...

At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Now I feel that I went too rough. perhaps "You are an idiot!" would save pixels.
(December 30, 2017 at 11:11 am)Dan Brooks Wrote: But Genesis tells us how God made it. It doesn't go into the technical details of "how" He did it, but it tells us the order in which He made everything.

Read the first chapters of Genesis again.  There are two different creation accounts, and they contradict each other.

Quote:You said that belief in God is just a belief. Why can't you also say that belief in evolution is also just a belief?

Because we have actual evidence, and all you have is a silly book full of mythological nonsense.
Atheism is not evolution, just the disbelief in theistic claims that have not met their burden of proof.

Paleontology proves evolution; the many transitional forms found in predicted strata, Archaeopteryx for one.

Geology proves an old earth; radiometric, ice cores, varves, dendrochronology et al.

And all the curves are consilient.

Archaeology has fuck all to do with evolution, it deals with the artefacts of human existence. This one I know 'cos I'm an archaeologist. Interesting fact, no archaeological evidence of the exodus from Egypt. Archaeological evidence also strongly suggests that YAHWEH had a wife and that early Israelite culture was polytheistic, and guess what, that's what we would expect at the time.

The genesis account in no way tallies with modern science and includes two contradictory accounts of origin.

It's a good and interesting look into bronze/iron age beliefs in that are; only a moron would believe it's real.

Sadly some of them post here.
(December 30, 2017 at 12:24 pm)Dan Brooks Wrote: The figurine isn't alive, and can't do anything, and is obviously a very poor substitute for the real you. But the fact that there is a lifeless figurine of you doesn't relegate the real you into nonexistence. You still exist, and you're much better than the stupid figurine of you that just sits there doing nothing. 
So also does the fact that people make up lifeless gods that do nothing relegate the real God into nonexistence. That is, the fact that there are false gods is not evidence that there isn't a real God.

So why do you think there is a God then when all we have to observe are lifeless figurines?
(December 30, 2017 at 12:39 pm)Dan Brooks Wrote: I don't think scientists are dumb. But I did hear that somewhere. Not sure where. I haven't gone to church in over ten years. Maybe I heard it when I was a kid.  I've heard a few times that evolution has to take such a long time to occur, that the earth has to be that old in order for the evolution to take place.  If I'm wrong about that, then I apologize.
But if evolution doesn't take that long to occur, then why isn't there so much more evidence of it? Not only in observation, but in paleontological finds and archaeological finds, etc?
It's true that evolution takes a long time, especially for long-generation species like humans.  But that's not how the Earth was dated.

As for lack of evidence-- not sure how to respond to this.  Instead of saying there's no evidence, why don't you google "Evidence for Evolution" and find the many hundreds of pages, scientific papers, and so on, about exactly that.  In fact, here:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=evidence+for+evolution

or just go to wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_o...on_descent

or one of my favorite sites now, Khan academy, for a nice video about it:
https://www.khanacademy.org/science/biol...-evolution

Here's my position regarding evolution and God:
1)  If God is real, evolution is a mechanism put in place by God, or a natural byproduct of the physical rules set up by God.
2)  Avoiding discovering the truth as revealed by science is to choose the God of text over a living creator God.
3)  If (2) is heresy, the religion is wrong-- because truth cannot be against God, right?

Take care when choosing the scientific knowledge of the ancient sand dwellers who wrote the Bible against the actual observations and careful thought of hundreds of years of brilliant scientists.  This will not only lead to a poor understanding of our physical reality, but I'd suggest that dwelling on the ideas of man rather than on the truth as revealed by God's universe might actual be a mortal sin.
One could subscribe to theistic evolution, but that's an added assumption.

We know it works naturally.

Goddidit is unsatisfactory until demonstrated, and it has always failed so far.

What the fuck is the supernatural anyway, all we see is natural up to this point; gods disappear with every scientific advance.
(December 30, 2017 at 12:08 pm)JackRussell Wrote: Creationists never bother to read and learn though.

No, because they seek only to confirm their beliefs, never to challenge them.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any Moral Relativists in the House? vulcanlogician 72 5172 June 21, 2021 at 9:09 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Most Humans Do NOT Have Completely Frree Will Rhondazvous 57 5544 April 20, 2016 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Why just saying god did it is not a satisfying answer anonymousyam 15 2558 April 3, 2016 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why do Children not Have Human Rights? Koolay 58 13614 September 23, 2013 at 9:42 am
Last Post: genkaus