Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why just saying god did it is not a satisfying answer
Why just saying god did it is not a satisfying answer
We all know when religion comes up on the unknown topics of the universe (like why we are here or the existence of aliens) the religious say that god did it. If you ask them why god did it they answer because he wanted to do it. Iv'e heard this answer for so many things in life the things that we just don't know are just discarded with the phase god did it. Just create a square chart and put the known knowledge as K and the unknown as ? most of the knowledge is unknown but science is currently looking for the answers while religion just replaces them with god. When looking on the mystery's of the universe must go on with science and reason instead of just saying god did it. Humans are meant to explore the unknown not just stay in a box.
RE: Why just saying god did it is not a satisfying answer
That's right. It's not only a useless answer, but it discourages actual investigation.

It also discourages learning about real explanations when we already have them, which is even more sad.

Claiming to know the motivations of God has always struck me as extremely arrogant. At least some people admit that they have no idea why he "does" things, and just have faith that he knows what he is doing.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Theists as a rule are extremely arrogant.  Comes from thinking they have an invisible friend in the sky.
Are you a candied yam or just a regular yam??
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
I don't think saying "Goddidit" necessarily implies a lack of interest in learning about reality. I mean, a Christian can explore the Universe, learn about its rules, study the Big Bang, learn about evolution, etc. and think "Out of love for God I want to really understand how his Universe works."

Just because many theists are dumbasses doesn't mean you have to be a dumbass to be a theist.
I've always accepted 'God did it' as a perfectly satisfying answer. When someone says it, I'm perfectly satisfied that I've won the argument and can contentedly go back to polishing my extensive collection of vintage paper clips.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 3, 2016 at 3:48 am)bennyboy Wrote: I don't think saying "Goddidit" necessarily implies a lack of interest in learning about reality.  I mean, a Christian can explore the Universe, learn about its rules, study the Big Bang, learn about evolution, etc. and think "Out of love for God I want to really understand how his Universe works."

Just because many theists are dumbasses doesn't mean you have to be a dumbass to be a theist.

Yes, I suppose it could be used as motivation if viewed in those terms. "I want to find out how god did it."

Such an attitude wouldn't cause so much anti-science, but it also requires being very liberal with your Bible etc. Of course, I'd encourage people to be as liberal as possible with it, if it makes them nice people and doesn't create barriers.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
It really is amazing how many of his agencies god forgot to mention in the bible. For example;

Supernovae occurring due to gravitational collapses in stars - god did it, and also neglected to tell us about the gravity that caused it.
The Black death - god did it because we didn't grovel to him effectively enough, but he neglected to tell us about bacteria and viruses.
Electromagnetic induction - god left it around for us to discover, so he could take the credit for it. Ditto refrigeration.
Fossils - god did it. He deliberately left a load of fossils hanging around that directly contradict his story of creation and make a mockery of biblical timescales.
I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty.
(April 3, 2016 at 5:17 am)robvalue Wrote:
(April 3, 2016 at 3:48 am)bennyboy Wrote: I don't think saying "Goddidit" necessarily implies a lack of interest in learning about reality.  I mean, a Christian can explore the Universe, learn about its rules, study the Big Bang, learn about evolution, etc. and think "Out of love for God I want to really understand how his Universe works."

Yes, I suppose it could be used as motivation if viewed in those terms. "I want to find out how god did it."

Such an attitude wouldn't cause so much anti-science, but it also requires being very liberal with your Bible etc. Of course, I'd encourage people to be as liberal as possible with it, if it makes them nice people and doesn't create barriers.

No doubt.  If you take everything in the Bible literally, you're fucked.  You're also not a very inquisitive person, and are unlikely to do any science or philosophy anyway.

I'd take the Bible as a mix of parables, history, and philosophy-- the point being that you have to be clever enough to separate which is which-- not really any easy task.
In the Mormon orbit, if really pressed on some item of historically pliable church doctrine, their apologists will state, "God changed His mind", which to me is even worse than "God diddit".

So God can't foresee He is going to have to walk back a policy, or extend and revise his ordinance(s) till He gets it right ?? And then this is how the rest of us get to the point of realizing if, for instance, Joe Smith came back to 'his' church today after not participating in over 150 years of near continuous tweaking and wholesale rewrites of 'his' dogma, old horny Joe would have to be excommunicated post haste since he would now be a dangerous heretic/apostate in the very church he founded.

Further, in the Mormon orbit, 'God diddit' is further complicated by their confused and confusing take on just who in the Blue Blazes God is. Adam? Jesus? Micheal? and then realizing whoever their God entity is, in a possibly infinite Mormon universe, there are an infinite number of of other Gods floating around and there really isn't a clear piece of Mormon doctrine delineating why they couldn't also be fucking with humanity too.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is saying "...so I know how science works." likely to convince people? FlatAssembler 29 2712 September 10, 2020 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  My House Did not have a Builder (or did it?) Dan Brooks 180 25964 January 8, 2018 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: brewer
  (LONG) "I Don't Know" as a Good Answer in Ethics vulcanlogician 69 8718 November 27, 2017 at 1:10 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Why free will probably does not exist, and why we should stop treating people - WisdomOfTheTrees 22 4559 February 8, 2017 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  I want your honest answer. Zidneya 27 4634 September 22, 2014 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Does Deep Thought Lead to God? Here's a Shallow Answer Jenny A 31 5214 September 10, 2014 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Who can answer? (law of nature) reality.Mathematician 10 2962 June 18, 2014 at 7:17 am
Last Post: ignoramus