Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 2, 2024, 10:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Refugee thread!
RE: Refugee thread!
So the choice is "or cake"..........?  Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 25, 2018 at 2:12 pm)mh.brewer Wrote:
(September 25, 2018 at 1:36 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: It's a shame but not entirely unexpected.  I joined a few years ago but I don't think I ever posted.

Personally I think it's bad management not to give more notice to the members and staff.  To me it feels like a case of "I can't be bothered anymore and everyone can just lump it."

I'm not sure about the notice time. Appears they got at least 10 days. What do you think is appropriate?

(killing me is not an option)

We were initially given 3 days, though it was very vague.

He didn't even bother to leave a message himself, that had to be done by a mod.

It was only after some prodding and begging that we're now at 10 days.

I can't believe this is how he's decided to handle an 8 year old established online community--a community he's played virtually no part in aside from giving it a domain, and has given us no say in the matter. The only thing he has given us is a little more time to say goodbye and figure out where the heck to go. This fucking sucks.
Formerly Loom from TTA (rip)

~Ignorance is not to be ignored.~
(September 25, 2018 at 2:12 pm)mh.brewer Wrote:
(September 25, 2018 at 1:36 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: It's a shame but not entirely unexpected.  I joined a few years ago but I don't think I ever posted.

Personally I think it's bad management not to give more notice to the members and staff.  To me it feels like a case of "I can't be bothered anymore and everyone can just lump it."

I'm not sure about the notice time. Appears they got at least 10 days. What do you think is appropriate?

For a community that has grown over a number of years, I would have said at least a couple of months notice.

Playing Cluedo with my mum while I was at Uni:

"You did WHAT?  With WHO?  WHERE???"
(September 25, 2018 at 2:17 pm)Nakara Wrote:
(September 25, 2018 at 2:12 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: I'm not sure about the notice time. Appears they got at least 10 days. What do you think is appropriate?

We were initially given 3 days.

I can't believe this is how he's decided to handle  an 8 year old established online community--a community he's played virtually no part in aside from giving it a domain, and has given us no say in the matter. The only thing he has given us is a little more time to say goodbye and figure out where the heck to go. This fucking sucks.

If he "played virtually no part" then why should anyone be surprised or upset?

I don't want to talk out of turn as I was never a member at TTA but have another question. When you say "given us no say in the matter" what does that mean? Did anyone try to step up and take it over?

I understand it sucks.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(September 25, 2018 at 2:27 pm)mh.brewer Wrote:
(September 25, 2018 at 2:17 pm)Nakara Wrote: We were initially given 3 days.

I can't believe this is how he's decided to handle  an 8 year old established online community--a community he's played virtually no part in aside from giving it a domain, and has given us no say in the matter. The only thing he has given us is a little more time to say goodbye and figure out where the heck to go. This fucking sucks.

If he "played virtually no part" then why should anyone be surprised or upset?

I don't want to talk out of turn as I was never a member at TTA but have another question. When you say "given us no say in the matter" what does that mean? Did anyone try to step up and take it over?

I understand it sucks.

By that I mean he rarely ever posted. In the 3 years I was there I saw a grand total of 1 post from him, and that was when he was telling us he wanted nothing to do with forum politics. Which is fine, I never blamed him cuz things could get dicey there and I was thankful he 'd made the place possible. But then he doesn't even have the decency to bother to tell us himself that he's shutting down an obviously established community and only gives us a vague 3 day-ish window of when that would be. We were told Thursday and initially had anywhere between Friday to Monday to say our sudden goodbyes and salvage our resources.

We're upset because that's a pretty shitty thing to do.

We had people reach out to him offering to take over, but all he's done is given us more time--he wants to move his brand a new direction, and that's fine, but I'm more than sure a name change and a change of hands would have been possible--nope, whole forum is being deleted.

I'm surprised someone who's built up the atheist community as a whole is willing to do this to his own.

I'm just happy that the membership here has been so welcoming.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(September 25, 2018 at 2:45 pm)anjele Wrote: I'm just happy that the membership here has been so welcoming.

I am too. I've lurked over here for some time and the people are great! They took in the Amazons with open arms, and I can't thank them enough for welcoming us here.

(September 25, 2018 at 2:49 pm)Nakara Wrote:
(September 25, 2018 at 2:45 pm)anjele Wrote: I'm just happy that the membership here has been so welcoming.

I am too. I've lurked over here for some time and the people are great! They took in the Amazons with open arms, and I can't thank them enough for welcoming us here.

We're hoping to find some more virgins to sacrifice yo the Dark One.

At the moment there are no conventions where virgins gather in numbers...

😊

Playing Cluedo with my mum while I was at Uni:

"You did WHAT?  With WHO?  WHERE???"
(September 25, 2018 at 2:53 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(September 25, 2018 at 2:49 pm)Nakara Wrote: I am too. I've lurked over here for some time and the people are great! They took in the Amazons with open arms, and I can't thank them enough for welcoming us here.

We're hoping to find some more virgins to sacrifice yo the Dark One.

At the moment there are no conventions where virgins gather in numbers...

😊

Well, we are in your debt...

Tongue

Shhhhh, they're not asking about the strings yet. Wait till they're good and hooked.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Twitter refugee, hello all Dizzyagain 27 1979 October 20, 2020 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: Dizzyagain
  Yet Another Refugee Paleophyte 23 2518 November 18, 2018 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  <----- Another TTA refugee devilsadvoc8 29 2090 October 1, 2018 at 7:57 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Hello...refugee Minimalist 46 13287 July 26, 2012 at 3:29 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  RDF Refugee Chad Farris 20 3772 March 10, 2010 at 1:58 am
Last Post: Autumnlicious