Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 2, 2024, 10:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Refugee thread!
RE: Refugee thread!
(September 25, 2018 at 2:45 pm)anjele Wrote: I'm just happy that the membership here has been so welcoming.

For the most part, we try to be. It is a community, after all. Growing it is as good as it gets for us. It's also a very different situation here, as the owner has no other purpose other than the forum, and it has been that way for a decade. We even have contingencies set up for if anything ever happened to him. (Don't worry, folks. It's not me.)
I was at RDF when the forum crumbled there. Chicanery behind the scenes didn't help there, nor did the epic "Name of the 8th Harry Potter Book" thread. (I heard one lady was really miffed, and that's no J/K.)

Anyway, I think having a forum that isn't tied to an other-directed person or group will always walk on thin ice. This is better.
(September 25, 2018 at 2:17 pm)Nakara Wrote: I can't believe this is how he's decided to handle an 8 year old established online community--a community he's played virtually no part in aside from giving it a domain, and has given us no say in the matter. The only thing he has given us is a little more time to say goodbye and figure out where the heck to go. This fucking sucks.

This was pretty much exactly how AF.org started. About 12ish years ago I created atheistforum.com (not atheistforums.com) with an acquaintance who ran the server etc. but played no part in the actual forum. For two years we gained members and then one day the admin section wouldn't load. I contacted the guy and he said he'd sold the forum to someone else, no idea who.

I already owned atheistforums.org so I set up a new server and the entire community moved over here, where we've been for the last 10 years.

I'm always going to be a part of AF, it's been a large part of my life, I've made friends through it, met my wife on it, etc. You can pry it from my cold dead hands before I ever closed it down.
(September 25, 2018 at 4:45 pm)Tiberius Wrote: This was pretty much exactly how AF.org started. About 12ish years ago I created atheistforum.com (not atheistforums.com) with an acquaintance who ran the server etc. but played no part in the actual forum. For two years we gained members and then one day the admin section wouldn't load. I contacted the guy and he said he'd sold the forum to someone else, no idea who.

I already owned atheistforums.org so I set up a new server and the entire community moved over here, where we've been for the last 10 years.

I'm always going to be a part of AF, it's been a large part of my life, I've made friends through it, met my wife on it, etc. You can pry it from my cold dead hands before I ever closed it down.

Well- at least we can rely on the fact that you've poured your blood, sweat, and tears into this place yourself- so you're personally invested and not going to shut it down on a whim. So I assume that we can also trust that if you need help with something, you'll ask instead of... well, shutting it down on a whim.

Oof... fuckin' Seth, man... I don't know about him right now.
(September 25, 2018 at 4:29 pm)Shell B Wrote:
(September 25, 2018 at 2:45 pm)anjele Wrote: I'm just happy that the membership here has been so welcoming.

For the most part, we try to be. It is a community, after all. Growing it is as good as it gets for us. It's also a very different situation here, as the owner has no other purpose other than the forum, and it has been that way for a decade. We even have contingencies set up for if anything ever happened to him. (Don't worry, folks. It's not me.)

Actually I still need to set up the contingencies...but I have plans to set up contingencies which counts for something...right?
(September 25, 2018 at 2:17 pm)Nakara Wrote:
(September 25, 2018 at 2:12 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: I'm not sure about the notice time. Appears they got at least 10 days. What do you think is appropriate?

(killing me is not an option)

We were initially given 3 days, though it was very vague.

It wasn't really even 3 days at the beginning, it was save your stuff asap cause shutdown was" anytime between Friday and Monday" .

Moms has given our "chew toys" more notice then that before using her banhammer.
Feel for yall.  I've written what amounts to multiple (poorly crafted) books on this place...not even counting the dick jokes (the dick jokes are legion)!  Took a turn modding the savages.  I'd hate to see it end.

I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Yes, please. Puddles of sanity in a god-sodden world, desperately needed.
(September 25, 2018 at 4:57 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(September 25, 2018 at 4:29 pm)Shell B Wrote: For the most part, we try to be. It is a community, after all. Growing it is as good as it gets for us. It's also a very different situation here, as the owner has no other purpose other than the forum, and it has been that way for a decade. We even have contingencies set up for if anything ever happened to him. (Don't worry, folks. It's not me.)

Actually I still need to set up the contingencies...but I have plans to set up contingencies which counts for something...right?

Good fucking goblin. *facepalm* We talked about this ages ago. Can you please inform said party that I may one day drop the keys in his hand and run away?
(September 25, 2018 at 5:26 pm)Shell B Wrote: Good fucking goblin.

Okay- I love this phrase. I'ma steal that. Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Twitter refugee, hello all Dizzyagain 27 1979 October 20, 2020 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: Dizzyagain
  Yet Another Refugee Paleophyte 23 2518 November 18, 2018 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  <----- Another TTA refugee devilsadvoc8 29 2090 October 1, 2018 at 7:57 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Hello...refugee Minimalist 46 13287 July 26, 2012 at 3:29 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  RDF Refugee Chad Farris 20 3772 March 10, 2010 at 1:58 am