Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 25, 2024, 11:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kavanaugh Can Join Thomas.
RE: Kavanaugh Can Join Thomas.
(September 28, 2018 at 7:35 am)alpha male Wrote: Must one automatically believe a woman's sexual assault charge in order to be human?

Nope, but one should be intellectually honest and take it seriously, especially when the accuser has demonstrated herself during a formal hearing to be FAR more credible than the accused.

Quote:Another point - shouldn't I be considered human because I am, in fact, a human?

Meh.  I’m not sure in what meaningful way a person who lacks empathy is human.  Sociopaths are technically human, but I don’t expect society to view them in the same way as people who are not-sociopaths. Not that I think you’re a sociopath.  I think you’re just a misogynist, like you and your pals in Congress.  *shrugs*
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(September 28, 2018 at 10:19 am)alpha male Wrote:
(September 28, 2018 at 10:16 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: Yes, though an imperfect institution that often drops the ball on the routine, they can be frighteningly effective once they're on the scent. There's a difference between sending a couple of agents around to ask routine questions, and turning a neighborhood upside down to find answers when you know what the question is.

I was not aware that Kavanaugh was accused of being a serial rapist. Can you tell me more about that? I thought the worst he was accused of was groping and attempted sexual assault.

The second accuser implied that he was a serial rapist, because she saw him in line waiting for his turn to rape a drugged girl in a rape room. She saw this numerous times, but kept going to the parties, until she was a victim herself (but Kavanaugh, although at that rape party, didn't participate). Go figure.

You mean the third accuser, Swetnick? I did not pick up that she claimed to have seen him standing in line to rape a drunk or high woman more than once, though I did get that Kavanaugh was supposed to have been at several parties where there was an effort to get women drunk.

I think Delta Kappa Epsilon is a poor choice of frat for those hoping to attain high office.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(September 28, 2018 at 8:31 am)Divinity Wrote: Conservatives defend rapists because they like raping people.  If their own children were raped, they'd tell them to get over it and have a beer with the rapist.  That's the kind of people these people are.  Unless, of course, their rapist was a black democrat.  Then they'd crucify him.

They'd sell their child to the rapist for 50 shekels. It's biblical law.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(September 28, 2018 at 10:11 am)alpha male Wrote:
(September 28, 2018 at 10:08 am)Joods Wrote: As a victim who was never able to report my abuse, I am sickened by the behavior of those in the committee who have refused to follow the rules of the committee, starting with the first day of this confirmation hearing.

You mean like Feinstein?

@Mister Agenda:

(September 28, 2018 at 8:42 am)Jörmungandr Wrote: alpha, that 54% of Republicans would vote to confirm Kavanaugh even if Ford's allegations are true and Kavanaugh is a liar is ethically inexcusable.  I don't know that this makes them less than human, but something is very wrong with them.  That you continue to defend them as if this were not the case makes something very wrong with you.

Emphasis addded.

Thanks for pointing that out. It's an odd thing to fixate on, IMHO, since Kavanaugh lying is an inescapable conclusion from the allegations being true; and that's not the wording of the poll and isn't claimed to have been, but it's not nothing.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(September 28, 2018 at 10:37 am)LadyForCamus Wrote: Nope, but one should be intellectually honest and take it seriously,

I agree. She named four other people as being there.

The two involved deny it, but that of course counts for little.

A male who wasn't involved can't recall it.

Ford's female friend, Leland Keyser, said through her lawyer: "Ms. Keyser does not know Mr. Kavanaugh and she has no recollection of ever being at a party or gathering where he was present, with, or without, Dr. Ford."

"Does not know Mr. Kavanaugh" is a positive statement which directly contradicts Ford's account. There were only 5 people there, yet Leland says she doesn't even know Kavanaugh. For people who are intellectually honest and taking it seriously, that's case closed.
(September 28, 2018 at 10:14 am)Aegon Wrote: For fuck's sake just put another dumb conservative without rape accusations on the Court. I'm sure they can find plenty of other qualified judges who dont think a president should be liable for his crimes.

Kavanaugh is a conservative operative, not a goody bipartisan, upstanding citizen. Groomed for years to be in this position. They're mad their efforts are being wasted.

I feel bad for his family though, that's for damn sure.

Bingo!

The Federalist Society could easily place a list of names in front of the President three times longer than he is accustomed to reading in a single sitting.
(September 28, 2018 at 10:40 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: You mean the third accuser, Swetnick? I did not pick up that she claimed to have seen him standing in line to rape a drunk or high woman more than once, though I did get that Kavanaugh was supposed to have been at several parties where there was an effort to get women drunk.

I think Delta Kappa Epsilon is a poor choice of frat for those hoping to attain high office.

Yes, I'm using hyperbole because numerous people here are referring to him as a rapist. You're one of the few who uses the actual charges.
Since it's clear he's going to get appointed - I say let the victims bring actual charges against Kavanaugh. Dr. Ford has nothing to lose by doing this since she's already been in front of the entire country. Since the other victims were denied the opportunity to testify, let them do so in an actual court of law.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Just as a technical point, Christine Blasey Ford's allegations being true doesn't prove that Kavanaugh is lying. I can imagine rationalizations or reasonings which lead to the conclusion that he should be confirmed in spite of Ford's allegations being true. I find it hard to believe that the difference between Republicans being able to reach the conclusion and Democrats being able to reach the conclusion can have any other explanation than that there is something wrong with the way Republicans are reaching their conclusions. Moreover, I think that, given the Democratic response, it's unreasonable to conclude that the bulk of those Republicans are not premising their conclusion on acceptance of the premise that Kavanaugh has either lied about the assault, or about not having any memory lapses. The only thing which would exonerate those 54% of Republicans is if they believe that Kavanaugh is not lying if the allegations are true. Is it posssible that they are reasoning thusly? Sure. Is it reasonable to believe they are? No it is not. There are certainly multiple paths one can take to the conclusion that Kavanaugh should be confirmed if the allegations are true. I would maintain, without an examination of all the cases, they are still good evidence that something is wrong with those who have reached that conclusion when over half of them come to that conclusion. In the 12% of Democrats, there may be multiple reasons for the conclusion, including doing so even given that Kavanaugh is lying. That doesn't explain either why Republicans were in the majority case able to reach that conclusion, nor the difference between the Democratic and Republican response. Whether you want to attribute it to a moral failing, a willingness to forego ethics in favor of partisanship, or because they are simply less competent regarding reasoning about moral matters, or some other reason, something is wrong with them.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(September 28, 2018 at 10:56 am)Joods Wrote: Since it's clear he's going to get appointed - I say let the victims bring actual charges against Kavanaugh. Dr. Ford has nothing to lose by doing this since she's already been in front of the entire country. Since the other victims were denied the opportunity to testify, let them do so in an actual court of law.

As far as I know there's no rule prohibiting suing or charging a sitting Supreme Court Justice.  I think they should go for it.   

And then he could be impeached, if convicted.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Can you sew? Can you save a life? Gawdzilla Sama 30 2902 April 5, 2020 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Canadian Army To Join UN Peacekeeping Operation In Mali Amarok 14 1553 March 20, 2018 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Join the NRA! Gawdzilla Sama 20 4950 October 7, 2017 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I Should Join AARP - I Certainly Qualify! Minimalist 4 1357 June 16, 2017 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Sinn Fein staffer with IRA links to join Jeremy Corbyn's team account_inactive 9 2782 December 15, 2016 at 10:29 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Americans who join ISIS. Anomalocaris 2 1409 September 11, 2014 at 1:37 pm
Last Post: Minimalist