Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 8:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"What am I doing" thread -- a KoTH followup
RE: "What am I doing" thread -- a KoTH followup
I am STILL doing homework...with a soundtrack though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nbA6OR2yTg
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
How much multi-tasking can some of you guys do? I suck at it.
Lots. Big Grin
(September 25, 2011 at 1:11 am)Rayaan Wrote: How much multi-tasking can some of you guys do? I suck at it.

Talking on a phone while I heal in WoW with the window only a tiny portion of my screen because I'm also chatting on both facebook and a forum and I'm thinking about a new talent build in rift with a game of chess in the flesh world between me and a friend off to the side of my computer and making fun of the person on the phone with hand signals and expressions whenever I get a free moment to do so.

That's how 'much' this one has accomplished at once... and she usually starts to fray in ability after the third unrelated task (note that healing involves situational awareness of 5 people including yourself and their hitpoint bars and anything you need to dispell from them).

A shame more people don't play chess with the Flower... I guess getting thrashed is just too hard for some people...
(September 25, 2011 at 1:11 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: Lots. Big Grin

Indeed... but even so: I prefer to do only a handful of different tasks at a time so I can completely tunnel vision into them and feel immersed Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Good practice is cooking, Rayaan - learning how to use one stove to make all different parts of a meal and time it so all the dishes are completed around the same time. You have to learn to think fast, chop fast, and know what you're doing.

Which is basically all multitasking is - being so good at the things you're doing that a lot of it is automatic.
(September 25, 2011 at 11:03 am)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: Talking on a phone while I heal in WoW with the window only a tiny portion of my screen because I'm also chatting on both facebook and a forum and I'm thinking about a new talent build in rift with a game of chess in the flesh world between me and a friend off to the side of my computer and making fun of the person on the phone with hand signals and expressions whenever I get a free moment to do so.

That's how 'much' this one has accomplished at once... and she usually starts to fray in ability after the third unrelated task (note that healing involves situational awareness of 5 people including yourself and their hitpoint bars and anything you need to dispell from them).

That's a lot. I don't know how you're able to juggle so many things.

o_0

(September 25, 2011 at 11:15 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: Good practice is cooking, Rayaan - learning how to use one stove to make all different parts of a meal and time it so all the dishes are completed around the same time. You have to learn to think fast, chop fast, and know what you're doing.

I think that's true. My mother does that also.

While googling this topic, I found some studies which suggest that women are better multi-taskers than men:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scien...n-men.html
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...083042.htm

Also, this may or may not be true, but I read in a book that women's brains may have evolved in such a way as to make it easier for them to multi-task because (as mothers) they oftentimes have to look out for their babies while doing other work at the same time like cooking, for example. So, the theory is that multi-tasking was something that women were more exposed to than men and that's why they slowly got better at it.
I call bullshit on those 'studies'.

For one thing, the stereotypes of women that may incur certain environments or cultural cues to force development of multitasking is not considered, in fact, it is ignored and treated as if the average is somehow a 'natural' state of human biology.

It's not.

What does enhance multitasking is simply doing more multitasking -- social communication and cues are nothing but multitasking. It becomes obviously apparent that the predominating roles for growing girls which involves emphasis on socialization, communication and 'femininity' will train and strengthen multitasking.

It's not because they're women, it's because from day zero the expectations are quite different, which changes the face of the average. Were we to take scientists, male and female, and expose them to the same tests for multitasking, I predict the differences between sexes becomes nil.

Skill is like that.

Use it or lose it.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
Relaxin', reading AF, nursing sore muscles from my weekend backpacking trip, and contemplating the virtues of hookers and blow.
(September 25, 2011 at 1:43 pm)Rayaan Wrote:

That's a lot. I don't know how you're able to juggle so many things.

o_0

This is how:

1: Talk on the phone to someone who is doing random things around their house and mostly is afk, so there's only occasionally something to pay attention to, and most of what they need you for is to listen to them gripe ^_^
2: Heal an easy instance with an absurdly good tank you only need to check on every minute or so.
3: Do the forum thing at one of those mysterious times of day where next to nobody is on.
4: Only have 20 friends on facebook... only one of whom you talk to much.
5: Occasionally tab to the Rift talent calculator when little else is going on.
6: Play someone who isn't very good at chess.
7: Use your mocking motions enough that you perform them automatically.

Lesson: when someone tells you that they are doing 7 different things at once... what they mean is that they are failing to do 4-7 of them effectively Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I am trying to lessen the pain in my right arm. I have no idea what has happened but if I straighten my arm either deliberately or by accident it hurts like hell. It has gotten worse, and I've not had a good night sleep for days.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How are our Northern USians doing? arewethereyet 6 745 February 23, 2023 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  What's everybody doing for National Drinking Day? GUBU 23 1871 March 19, 2022 at 10:19 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Link us to your intro thread, first post and/or first thread Whateverist 35 4310 October 21, 2018 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  What are you doing for Halloween? SisterAgatha 54 7904 October 11, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: emjay
  What Are You Doing For Christmas? Seraphina 46 7091 December 18, 2016 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Doing something bold Foxaèr 5 768 March 25, 2014 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Doing a [insertnamehere] Jacob(smooth) 0 474 February 19, 2014 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  AF-org is nearly 5 years old. How is everyone doing? Whateverist 15 4188 July 23, 2013 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Dr.Pepper Doing It Right Big Blue Sky 0 593 May 22, 2013 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Big Blue Sky
  What were you doing a year ago? Darwinian 22 4501 February 27, 2010 at 12:05 am
Last Post: Ashes1995