Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 5:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism is unstoppable.
RE: Atheism is unstoppable.
Belaqua, I think you would've enjoyed some exchanges with a member called Ignorant, who used to post here and was one really smart theist who excelled at critical thinking (in my perception at least).
(October 16, 2018 at 6:52 am)Grandizer Wrote: Belaqua, I think you would've enjoyed some exchanges with a member called Ignorant, who used to post here and was one really smart theist who excelled at critical thinking (in my perception at least).

I think I know that guy! Damn, I'm sorry I missed him!

If it's the same guy, back when Amazon had discussion forums he and I had long talks and he taught me an enormous amount. He really is impressively smart. He was using a different name back then, but when Amazon shut down he briefly appeared on the Thinking Atheist site under the name Ignorant. 

Sad to say, the only response he got on that site was from one of those people who can only say "religion is dumb" over and over, so Ignorant replied "LOL" and wisely left. 

If he's the same guy, he is currently finishing up a PhD in one of America's toughest philosophy schools and raising two sons. So it's no surprise that he's not chatting much. The idea that my talk here would bring him to mind is very flattering to me! Thank you!
(October 16, 2018 at 7:05 am)Belaqua Wrote:
(October 16, 2018 at 6:52 am)Grandizer Wrote: Belaqua, I think you would've enjoyed some exchanges with a member called Ignorant, who used to post here and was one really smart theist who excelled at critical thinking (in my perception at least).

I think I know that guy! Damn, I'm sorry I missed him!

If it's the same guy, back when Amazon had discussion forums he and I had long talks and he taught me an enormous amount. He really is impressively smart. He was using a different name back then, but when Amazon shut down he briefly appeared on the Thinking Atheist site under the name Ignorant. 

Sad to say, the only response he got on that site was from one of those people who can only say "religion is dumb" over and over, so Ignorant replied "LOL" and wisely left. 

If he's the same guy, he is currently finishing up a PhD in one of America's toughest philosophy schools and raising two sons. So it's no surprise that he's not chatting much. The idea that my talk here would bring him to mind is very flattering to me! Thank you!

Oh, really? Yeah, probably him then, but not sure. It's the way you debate that reminded me of him, except you're on one side of the theism spectrum and him on the other.
(October 16, 2018 at 3:33 am)Kit Wrote:
(October 16, 2018 at 3:28 am)Belaqua Wrote: Is there any way to determine whether college grads are really better at critical thinking?

Many theists, college graduates or not, do have good critical thinking skills, except for the one blind spot where their religious convictions lie.

College helps to hone one's critical thinking, no doubt, but it alone is not going to sway a theist from his/her religious delusion.

I’ve found many college graduates, who lack good critical thinking skills. And I know many who didn’t go to college, who do think critically. Those who don’t have any formal education, but have learned pieces of things through the years and can logically and systematically work through a problem.

However, I am curious. What is the critical thinking, that you think is a blind spot for theists? Why do you think that my religious convictions is s blind spot or lack of critical thinking.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(October 16, 2018 at 7:17 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: However, I am curious. What is the critical thinking, that you think is a blind spot for theists?  Why do you think that my religious convictions is s blind spot or lack of critical thinking.

It's simple deduction.

Those theists who can reason and think critically regarding non-religious aspects of life cannot seem to logically apply the same reason to their religious convictions.
(October 16, 2018 at 7:22 am)Kit Wrote:
(October 16, 2018 at 7:17 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: However, I am curious. What is the critical thinking, that you think is a blind spot for theists?  Why do you think that my religious convictions is s blind spot or lack of critical thinking.

It's simple deduction.

Those theists who can reason and think critically regarding non-religious aspects of life cannot seem to logically apply the same reason to their religious convictions.

Yes,   I'm asking what that critical thinking is?   What is this reasoning, that you do not think that we are applying critically?  Frankly, I think that this is one of those buzz words the atheists community indoctrinates itself with.   And haven't really thought about very much.  It's like saying that Christians just need to be educated, and when I ask in what... I don't get any answers.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(October 16, 2018 at 7:29 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Yes,   I'm asking what that critical thinking is?   What is this reasoning, that you do not think that we are applying critically?  Frankly, I think that this is one of those buzz words the atheists community indoctrinates itself with.   And haven't really thought about very much.  It's like saying that Christians just need to be educated, and when I ask in what... I don't get any answers.

Don't be obtuse.

You don't believe in the existence of Spider-Man, do you? Simply apply that same logic to god.

Voila.
(October 16, 2018 at 7:32 am)Kit Wrote:
(October 16, 2018 at 7:29 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Yes,   I'm asking what that critical thinking is?   What is this reasoning, that you do not think that we are applying critically?  Frankly, I think that this is one of those buzz words the atheists community indoctrinates itself with.   And haven't really thought about very much.  It's like saying that Christians just need to be educated, and when I ask in what... I don't get any answers.

Don't be obtuse.

You don't believe in the existence of pink unicorns, do you?  Simply apply that same logic to god.  

Voila.

That doesn't seem to be critical thinking to me.... in fact more the opposite.

This is what I mean, "critiical thinking" is more of a buzzword, than practice.
Anyone can uncritically think their way into the belief in something that does not exist. It takes real critical thinking to understand and acknowledge when one is clinging to religious belief for illogical reasons.

But by all means, who am I to dissuade you from your religious delusion?

(October 16, 2018 at 7:49 am)Kit Wrote: Anyone can uncritically think their way into the belief in something that does not exist.  It takes real critical thinking to understand and acknowledge when one is clinging to religious belief for illogical reasons.

But by all means, who am I to dissuade you from your religious delusion?

You haven't really given anything that is falsifiable, any specific reasoning or critical thinking here.   It's really just a bunch of fluffy sophism, and restating your claim.   Which is what I thought thought to begin with... and I think you are confirming.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27790 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12708 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12263 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10596 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12097 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38564 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack