Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 9:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism is unstoppable.
Atheism is unstoppable.
Atheism is unstoppable.

For the first time in a few hundred thousand years, humans have instantaneous, complete access to mountains of information at the touch of our fingertips. We can fact-check any claim, question any belief and, potentially, smash any dogmatic system of beliefs with a few well-worded searches.

We now know the age of the Earth, the mechanics behind gravity and thermodynamics and a whole bunch of other phenomena that I personally won’t pretend to understand. We launch rockets into outer space in search for alien life and other inhabitable planets. We can share information across the world with a single click or tap, communicating across oceans and thousands and thousands of miles of land and mountains and valleys. We are in the future.

The power of human intelligence is astounding. This is evident in the way we shape reality around us, bending nature and space to work to our advantage. It’s doubtful we will ever master nature, as we all have an expiration date, but the way in which we can use nature to do things for us is absolutely fascinating. We are powerful, not because of atheism, nor because of any religion, for that matter. We are powerful because we are intelligent. We our powerful because we are driven and strive to understand the unknown. We ARE powerful.

We no longer have to accept concepts like “god” as self-evident, unquestionable facts of life. We don’t have to listen to the priests or chaplains anymore, because they provide us with no treasured knowledge or exclusive information. That time has passed. Why god? Why religion? It does nothing for us and answers no questions. We don’t know why we’re here, or if there even is a why. But we do have a good idea of how we got here, and that’s a start.

We don’t need to understand everything in the world, even though we want to. Our strive for the understanding of the unknown should not drive us to give inaccurate answers to questions we feel the need to ask. It’s okay to say we don’t know. People are beginning to understand this, and less people are turning to religion today than ever before. Even those that do turn to religion don’t believe in it as wholeheartedly, and for good reason.

Speaking of reason, we use it constantly. We use reason to understand the world around us and we take very little on faith, except when it comes to god and religion. But, there is no good reason to believe in god. There’s no reason that a supernatural deity needs to exist. It doesn’t make life any more beautiful or our place here on Earth any more special. We are simply here. There is no god. There is no afterlife. And that’s okay. Enjoy your life while you’re here, and enjoy the march of time as much as you can.

As time goes on, people get less religious and gain more knowledge. Soon enough, god and religion will be a non-issue. A thing of the past. Lumped in with the Greek gods as a fine addition to the subject of “religious mythology.” There’s no longer a need for any of this nonsense.

Atheism is unstoppable.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
RE: Atheism is unstoppable.
So is religion, so I suppose it's a wash.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 9, 2018 at 5:12 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: So is religion, so I suppose it's a wash.

Boru

I completely disagree. But to each their own.

PRJA93
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
(October 9, 2018 at 5:15 pm)PRJA93 Wrote:
(October 9, 2018 at 5:12 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: So is religion, so I suppose it's a wash.

Boru

I completely disagree. But to each their own.

PRJA93

Disagree all you like.  If religion were going to fade away, it would have done so by now.  Religious people have a tendency not to trouble themselves with things like reason and evidence, so all the actual knowledge we can muster will never trump faith, not completely.

But I do agree with you as far as religion getting smaller and having less influence as time goes on.  I just don't see it ever being eradicated completely.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Fear the Roo !!
Insanity - Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result
(October 9, 2018 at 4:50 pm)PRJA93 Wrote: Atheism is unstoppable.

For the first time in a few hundred thousand years, humans have instantaneous, complete access to mountains of information at the touch of our fingertips. We can fact-check any claim, question any belief and, potentially, smash any dogmatic system of beliefs with a few well-worded searches.

We now know the age of the Earth, the mechanics behind gravity and thermodynamics and a whole bunch of other phenomena that I personally won’t pretend to understand. We launch rockets into outer space in search for alien life and other inhabitable planets. We can share information across the world with a single click or tap, communicating across oceans and thousands and thousands of miles of land and mountains and valleys. We are in the future.

The power of human intelligence is astounding. This is evident in the way we shape reality around us, bending nature and space to work to our advantage. It’s doubtful we will ever master nature, as we all have an expiration date, but the way in which we can use nature to do things for us is absolutely fascinating. We are powerful, not because of atheism, nor because of any religion, for that matter. We are powerful because we are intelligent. We our powerful because we are driven and strive to understand the unknown. We ARE powerful.

We no longer have to accept concepts like “god” as self-evident, unquestionable facts of life. We don’t have to listen to the priests or chaplains anymore, because they provide us with no treasured knowledge or exclusive information. That time has passed. Why god? Why religion? It does nothing for us and answers no questions. We don’t know why we’re here, or if there even is a why. But we do have a good idea of how we got here, and that’s a start.

We don’t need to understand everything in the world, even though we want to. Our strive for the understanding of the unknown should not drive us to give inaccurate answers to questions we feel the need to ask. It’s okay to say we don’t know. People are beginning to understand this, and less people are turning to religion today than ever before. Even those that do turn to religion don’t believe in it as wholeheartedly, and for good reason.

Speaking of reason, we use it constantly. We use reason to understand the world around us and we take very little on faith, except when it comes to god and religion. But, there is no good reason to believe in god. There’s no reason that a supernatural deity needs to exist. It doesn’t make life any more beautiful or our place here on Earth any more special. We are simply here. There is no god. There is no afterlife. And that’s okay. Enjoy your life while you’re here, and enjoy the march of time as much as you can.

As time goes on, people get less religious and gain more knowledge. Soon enough, god and religion will be a non-issue. A thing of the past. Lumped in with the Greek gods as a fine addition to the subject of “religious mythology.” There’s no longer a need for any of this nonsense.

Atheism is unstoppable.

You're writing as though all religion is a failed attempt to do what science does better. While I hope those parts of religion will go away, I think we have to recognize that the various religions provide other things which science by definition can't.

Religion evolves and adapts. Many types are fully compatible with science. 

And, sad but true, sometimes the countries where science is well developed use their knowledge to kill more effectively. The survivors in the attacked areas may well see the products of science as evil, and the protection of their god as comforting. That's not going to change any time soon.
A world in which a majority of people become non-doctrinaire but practicing Buddhists would be quite nice. But that's about as likely as a majority becoming Western-style atheists.

Even if advancing knowledge and the means to it render many manifestations of religion untenable, I don't expect to see it ever extinguished. There is truth. And then there is meaning. Many people will continue to find meaning in their lives through their religious commitments. I think that's pretty much baked into the human experience for many, many people.

And what if everyone did become atheist? That doesn't necessarily mean they will become rational or peaceful. I fear the "isms" that could arise in such a world at least as much as I do the ones religion has currently given us.

Consider me a pessimist.
Religitards are dying out in the west.  I really don't give a fuck what happens in Africa or Asia.

[Image: article-1375482-0B91F9B400000578-455_470x288.jpg]

The sooner the better.
The loss of religion may be related to the sudden swing of Western European countries and the US to the right. People have a need to subjugate themselves to a bigger picture, and for the most part lack the capacity to invent one for themselves.

I'm no fan of religion, but I'm not a fan of ideologue dictators either.
(October 9, 2018 at 5:21 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(October 9, 2018 at 5:15 pm)PRJA93 Wrote: I completely disagree. But to each their own.

PRJA93

Disagree all you like.  If religion were going to fade away, it would have done so by now.  Religious people have a tendency not to trouble themselves with things like reason and evidence, so all the actual knowledge we can muster will never trump faith, not completely.

But I do agree with you as far as religion getting smaller and having less influence as time goes on.  I just don't see it ever being eradicated completely.

Boru

Yes, my eradication plan is ambitious, but the important part is that we get rid of as many as possible in the first week.

So we need enough nukes.
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27074 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12451 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12121 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10463 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 11995 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38052 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack