Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 1, 2024, 1:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#MeTooFar
RE: #MeTooFar
(December 3, 2018 at 1:25 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(December 3, 2018 at 1:20 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: That's fine, but that conflicts with your prior statement that "Who decides" was a problem, implying that the radio station's owners and operators deciding was a problem.  Since you haven't retracted either statement, I'm insimply unsure of which of the two Boru's to believe.  Did I misunderstand your prior comments?

The station in the article pulled the song under pressure. My concern is that if a tiny minority of an audience can pressure a station into changing its playlist, then the station ISN’T the one making the decision. This is bullying, not free market. 

It isn’t a perfect analogy, but suppose 5% of the subscribers to a newspaper objected to negative articles about Donald Trump. Should the newspaper change its content based solely on that? The paper has every right to do so, but should they?

Boru
They pulled the song under objection . I doubt they objectors could have done much . 

Your analogy could easily be reversed to something that 95% are fine with . Should the other 5 % be forced to see it even if they are not part of that majority and if your going to say that it's objective it ask to who?

Please note i don't really have a side on this one i'm just asking the questions
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(December 3, 2018 at 1:29 pm)Amarok Wrote:
(December 3, 2018 at 1:26 pm)wyzas Wrote: That's kind of how it works. 

And no one was forcing the minority to listen. The easiest solution would have been to knob of the radio.
And the easiest  for the people who want to hear it is too turn the knob or by a copy of it and that just goes back to my point if the majority get to decide what's not offensive is their any limit ?

And who would be turning the most knobs or buying the most copies? The thought that the majority has to appease minority demands (outside of law) is backwards.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(December 3, 2018 at 1:51 pm)wyzas Wrote:
(December 3, 2018 at 1:29 pm)Amarok Wrote: And the easiest  for the people who want to hear it is too turn the knob or by a copy of it and that just goes back to my point if the majority get to decide what's not offensive is their any limit ?

And who would be turning the most knobs or buying the most copies? The thought that the majority has to appease minority demands (outside of law) is backwards.
Either can turn the knob and the ones who want to hear it can if they buy it . Sorry that wasn't clear my bad . 

The idea that the minority should have to appease the majority has a long and awful history in and outside the law and has been backwards plenty of times .

The solution is some form of balance
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(December 3, 2018 at 1:58 pm)Amarok Wrote:
(December 3, 2018 at 1:51 pm)wyzas Wrote: And who would be turning the most knobs or buying the most copies? The thought that the majority has to appease minority demands (outside of law) is backwards.
Either can turn the knob and the ones who want to hear it can if they buy it . Sorry that wasn't clear my bad . 

The idea that the minority should have to appease the majority has a long and awful history in and outside the law and has been backwards plenty of times .

That's not appeasement. That's one of the definitions of democracy, majority rules.
(December 3, 2018 at 2:02 pm)wyzas Wrote:
(December 3, 2018 at 1:58 pm)Amarok Wrote: Either can turn the knob and the ones who want to hear it can if they buy it . Sorry that wasn't clear my bad . 

That's not appeasement. That's one of the definitions of democracy, majority rules.
But the united states isn't a Democracy it's a Republic and even democracies like the one i live in don't make the majority an absolute .

Inuit Proverb

(December 3, 2018 at 11:47 am)Shell B Wrote: Modern feminism really takes the sexy, risqué fun out of sex. If a guy I was into said maybe half a drink more after I coyly said no, I might, very willingly, agree to it. Sometimes, a woman actually wants to be convinced. Shocking! I don’t know how many times I’ve said I’m not in the mood and then was put in the mood and had amazing sex.

Ya know, I agree with you here. After pondering this a bit, I think the problem lies in simply reading the lyrics in text format, rather than considering the song for what it is, and what it was always meant to be: a fun holiday tune about a lustful night in front of the fire. What is the difference between coercion and seduction?  A big fucking difference, depending entirely on the details of any given scenario. Context is literally everything. It’s the difference between reading words on a page, and listening to this song, which was clearly never meant to portray anything nefarious or predatory.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
I think it's rather moot as radio stations aren't run upon democratic principles.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(December 3, 2018 at 1:34 pm)wyzas Wrote:
(December 3, 2018 at 1:21 pm)Mathilda Wrote: Or maybe there's just a greater awareness. I actually like the song in question and own Tom Jones' version. But it was my husband who pointed out to me quite what it suggests and I agree with him.

Greater awareness is good, the issue should be discussed, but pulling songs from the air is not the answer. There are a lot of "suggestive" songs. Should the opinion of a minority pull them off the air? If yes, then I guess I'll be hearing less rap.

My point was that because we now generally have a greater awareness of such issues, it changes many people's perception of the song so it becomes less popular.
(December 3, 2018 at 2:11 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: I think it's rather moot as radio stations aren't run upon democratic principles.

I wasn't only referring to the stations choice. It's a private business, they can do what they want.
(December 3, 2018 at 2:14 pm)Mathilda Wrote:
(December 3, 2018 at 1:34 pm)wyzas Wrote: Greater awareness is good, the issue should be discussed, but pulling songs from the air is not the answer. There are a lot of "suggestive" songs. Should the opinion of a minority pull them off the air? If yes, then I guess I'll be hearing less rap.

My point was that because we now generally have a greater awareness of such issues, it changes many people's perception of the song so it becomes less popular.
could

(December 3, 2018 at 2:11 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(December 3, 2018 at 11:47 am)Shell B Wrote: Modern feminism really takes the sexy, risqué fun out of sex. If a guy I was into said maybe half a drink more after I coyly said no, I might, very willingly, agree to it. Sometimes, a woman actually wants to be convinced. Shocking! I don’t know how many times I’ve said I’m not in the mood and then was put in the mood and had amazing sex.

Ya know, I agree with you here. After pondering this a bit, I think the problem lies in simply reading the lyrics in text format, rather than considering the song for what it is, and what it was always meant to be: a fun holiday tune about a lustful night in front of the fire. What is the difference between coercion and seduction?  A big fucking difference, depending entirely on the details of any given scenario. Context is literally everything. It’s the difference between reading words on a page, and listening to this song, which was clearly never meant to portray anything nefarious or predatory.
While this could be the case

Inuit Proverb

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  #MeTooFar Poll tackattack 43 2717 December 17, 2018 at 11:44 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4