Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#MeTooFar
#MeTooFar
Radio Stations Bans 'Baby, It's Cold Outside"

Honestly, this is what it's come to?

I support #MeToo (donated, got a t-shirt and a car sticker). But this radio station has been pressured into banning a harmless song.  The song is not about rape.  It isn't about coercion. It's about seduction. 

Fuxxake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwGrg8UPTY8

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: #MeTooFar
The depths of human stupidity will never cease to amaze me.
Quote:"The world we live in is extra sensitive now, and people get easily offended,

People should grow a fucking set of balls.
(December 2, 2018 at 6:14 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Radio Stations Bans 'Baby, It's Cold Outside"

Honestly, this is what it's come to?

I support #MeToo (donated, got a t-shirt and a car sticker). But this radio station has been pressured into banning a harmless song.  The song is not about rape.  It isn't about coercion. It's about seduction. 

Fuxxake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwGrg8UPTY8

Boru

It's right to be banned, it's not the Red Dwarf version.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(December 2, 2018 at 6:14 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The song is not about rape.  It isn't about coercion. It's about seduction. 

It's about a woman being plied with drugs to lower her inhibitions so she can have sex when ordinarily she wouldn't to. You could make the same argument about spiking a woman's drink with a date rape drug.

I'm not saying it is equivalent, but I can understand how if some women have been coerced into being sexually exploited using these very same techniques, Ithen they may not find the song as amusing as most men do.
I imagine their radio has an "off" button.  They don't have to listen to it.  If they do that says much more about them than it does about a stupid song.
Meh, it's a song about a woman saying no over and over again, a man putting something in her drink and not letting her leave, and her still saying no.

I'm okay with radio listeners saying they'd like to hear Christmas music but the messaging in that one has had it's day.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(December 2, 2018 at 7:01 pm)Mathilda Wrote:
(December 2, 2018 at 6:14 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The song is not about rape.  It isn't about coercion. It's about seduction. 

It's about a woman being plied with drugs to lower her inhibitions so she can have sex when ordinarily she wouldn't to. You could make the same argument about spiking a woman's drink with a date rape drug.

I'm not saying it is equivalent, but I can understand how if some women have been coerced into being sexually exploited using these very same techniques, Ithen they may not find the song as amusing as most men do.

You (and SC) must not have read the article. 'What's in this drink' isn't a reference to a spiked drink.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 2, 2018 at 6:37 pm)Minimalist Wrote: People should grow a fucking set of balls.

Thinking with the balls is what made #MeToo necessary in the first place.
You're right, Boru, I read the lyrics, not the article. Definitely changes my view a bit, but I still am okay with it not being played on a radio station.

Regardless of what it meant in the 30's, (and I agree it's much more innocuous now I know the meaning of "what's that in my drink?") I think the tone of the lyrics is still enough for it to be a retired song. I'm certainly not going to protest anything, but it is 2018, and I still think a song in which 98% of the context is gone from the zeitgeist and sounds like a woman repeatedly rebuffing a man can be removed from one radio station's playlist and we'll all be okay.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  #MeTooFar Poll tackattack 43 2575 December 17, 2018 at 11:44 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4