Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 6:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evidence for a god. Do you have any ?
RE: Evidence for a god. Do you have any ?
(January 2, 2019 at 7:54 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(January 2, 2019 at 7:49 pm)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote: I would happy to send them a letter on your behalf.  What would you like your message to be to them?

That there are Christian fundamentalists in America who are profoundly ignorant of modern physics and what can the APS do to bring understanding to these deprived individuals.

And you're fully grounded in physics?

Of all the knowledge contained about modern physics in non-fiction books and scientific journals, what percentage would you say you have as knowledge that you can apply to the world without help from any external sources?  If it's not 100 percent, are you ignorant of the remaining knowledge?
(January 2, 2019 at 8:11 pm)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote:
(January 2, 2019 at 7:54 pm)Jehanne Wrote: That there are Christian fundamentalists in America who are profoundly ignorant of modern physics and what can the APS do to bring understanding to these deprived individuals.

And you're fully grounded in physics?

Of all the knowledge contained about modern physics in non-fiction books and scientific journals, what percentage would you say you have as knowledge that you can apply to the world without help from any external sources?  If it's not 100 percent, are you ignorant of the remaining knowledge?

My knowledge of physics, classical, modern or otherwise, is not the issue here. Fact is that no physicist who is actively publishing in cosmology is of the mindset that a creator god is necessary to explain anything.
(January 2, 2019 at 6:15 pm)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote:
(January 2, 2019 at 5:16 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: It appears you didn't - my apologies.

Please explain how the conservation of mass is a problem for abiogenesis.

Boru

Directly it doesn't, but I don't know that I implied that.  If it was, then it would've been a typing error. I would have to look at the post again.  I thought I was applying it in regard to the "big bang" though.  Abiogenesis would be more in conflict with biogenesis.

Quote:Modern science implies these ideas are nonsense and are not observable in light of the Law of Conservation of Mass, and Biogenesis.

I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, but I'm having a hard time finding a typo.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(January 2, 2019 at 8:14 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(January 2, 2019 at 8:11 pm)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote: And you're fully grounded in physics?

My knowledge of physics, classical, modern or otherwise, is not the issue here.  Fact is that no physicist who is actively publishing in cosmology is of the mindset that a creator god is necessary to explain anything.

Proof?
(January 2, 2019 at 8:57 pm)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote:
(January 2, 2019 at 8:14 pm)Jehanne Wrote: My knowledge of physics, classical, modern or otherwise, is not the issue here.  Fact is that no physicist who is actively publishing in cosmology is of the mindset that a creator god is necessary to explain anything.

Proof?

https://www.preposterousuniverse.com/writings/nd-paper/
(January 2, 2019 at 9:02 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(January 2, 2019 at 8:57 pm)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote: Proof?

https://www.preposterousuniverse.com/writings/nd-paper/

Thanks. So you were wrong.

Title from your citation: Why (Almost All) Cosmologists are Atheists

"Almost all" does not = 0

Also, the whole bit isn't conclusive.  He's stating an opinion and notes that he is.
(January 2, 2019 at 9:44 pm)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote:
(January 2, 2019 at 9:02 pm)Jehanne Wrote: https://www.preposterousuniverse.com/writings/nd-paper/

Thanks. So you were wrong.

Also, the whole bit isn't conclusive.  He's stating an opinion and notes that he is.

Even among those cosmologists who believe (such as Professor George Ellis), none of them (him) are claiming anything about the existence of God from modern physics; rather, they believe for other reasons.
(January 2, 2019 at 10:05 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(January 2, 2019 at 9:44 pm)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote: Thanks. So you were wrong.

Even among those cosmologists who believe (such as Professor George Ellis), none of them (him) are claiming anything about the existence of God from modern physics; rather, they believe for other reasons.

They don't need to.  We use science to study the natural world.

I've done peer-reviewed work in the past to include through self-study, to group projects, to doing peer review.  Never did I feel like there was some inherent obligation that I must include an explanation about God.  When you say "physics" you instantly default to the natural world, so you're going to talk about natural relationships.  What scientific study does do is evaluate relationships between two or more variables.  It doesn't attempt to make claims about anything supernatural, because you can't create parameters for such since they don't necessarily adhere to natural laws, which is why you get the "super" before "natural."  I'm certainly not debating whether or not there are a lot of cosmologists who are atheist and believe there was a big bang, but that is their choice.  We can't observe a "big bang" from the past, so it's based on conjecture.  Conjecture doesn't mean something is false, but we can't conclusively state it as being such without further knowledge.  When you start looking at the origins of anything, it's extremely difficult, because if we can't physically observe something, we are forming a conclusion based on insufficient knowledge.  I don't even have a problem with the "big bang" as a possibility, but I would see it as an effect rather than an initial cause.
If you see the big bang as an effect, then your silly god has physical effects, and that puts it well within the purview of scientific inquiry. The unfalsifiability of the "supernatural" is what people retreat to..but not what people believe. We're absolute garbage at coming up with genuinely unfalsifiable propositions. Probably has something to do with being a meat mind in a material world. All of our referents are equally material...and so too, do we imagine god to be, even if we bullshit people for pages and pages only to shoot ourselves in the foot with a single sentence.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Louis Pasteurs idea's only applied to spontaneous generation not abiogenesis .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you have any interest in the philosophies of introflection pioneered by Buddhism? Authari 67 3528 January 12, 2024 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2766 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3667 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1833 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 5285 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
  Mike Litorus owns god without any verses no one 3 466 July 9, 2023 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 9067 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 3130 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why the resurrection accounts are not evidence LinuxGal 5 1099 October 29, 2022 at 2:01 pm
  Legal evidence of atheism Interaktive 16 2770 February 9, 2020 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Fireball