Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 18, 2024, 8:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you responsible?
RE: Are you responsible?
At work.

(February 17, 2019 at 11:26 am)onlinebiker Wrote: If someone steals your car - and runs over someone and kills them - are you civilly or criminally liable?

Should you be?

Hello! Smile

Short answer, 'No'.

Big Grin
The only way I could see the car owner being held partially responsible is if they had been negligent in securing the car -- leaving it unlocked with the keys in the ignition, for instance.
(February 17, 2019 at 8:15 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(February 17, 2019 at 7:47 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Gun are for shooting things. Cars have a variety of uses.

Like transporting people and things from point A to point B?

(February 17, 2019 at 6:48 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: You're scolding a crazy person.

I lost my chart of who is talking to who.  Which crazy person is being scolded?
That's lumping.
Locks are made for honest people. Even if someone left their car unlocked, and running, it is not an invitation for someone else to take it. People need to be held responsible for their own actions.
Just because I can go and buy a power tool, doesn't mean Home Depot should be responsible if I use it to harm people.
(February 18, 2019 at 10:23 am)no one Wrote: Locks are made for honest people. Even if someone left their car unlocked, and running, it is not an invitation for someone else to take it. People need to be held responsible for their own actions.
Just because I can go and buy a power tool, doesn't mean Home Depot should be responsible if I use it to harm people.
But a chainsaw, now that's a party!!!
(February 18, 2019 at 10:23 am)no one Wrote: Locks are made for honest people. Even if someone left their car unlocked, and running, it is not an invitation for someone else to take it. People need to be held responsible for their own actions.

Not the point. I agree, but still not the point. Anti theft and tracking technology have been added to cars, so have seatbelts and air bags, and you still cant allow a 5 year old to drive and drinking and driving is also illegal. And cars should move away from burning fossil fuels. There is more to any product made than just theft. Theft is one cost to society, but so is speeding, and accidents and court costs and rising insurance do to those other factors. 

You cant plug a banana clip into a power drill and murder 52 people 32 stories up. It is a matter of the maker of the product to care about the impact of how people use their products. Just like the auto makers need to face global warming.  Huge difference between legal and moral. There is a cost to firearm violence that is immoral to ignore it. Just because you can spray lots of bullets all at once, or a mentally ill person who's never been arrested, doesn't make it moral or wise to let a disturbed person have them. 

You are talking about individual examples, I am talking about a long term climate that is allowing too much violence.

And as far as power tools, makers certainly take responsibility. 100 years ago I doubt very many power saws had blade guards, and I am sure many makers back then said, "not our problem". But look at the power saws made today, they all have safety guards now. And I am damned sure those are standard regulations now too.
(February 18, 2019 at 11:07 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
But a chainsaw, now that's a party!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ccNivHa_zk
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.
No and no. All culpability is on the criminal. Same would apply if a criminal stole your gun and shot someone while commuting a stickup.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(February 18, 2019 at 11:59 am)tackattack Wrote: No and no.  All culpability is on the criminal. Same would apply if a criminal stole your gun and shot someone while commuting a stickup.

Again, not the point. Nobody is saying criminals should not be held responsible. But again, cars now have better anti theft technology, and GPS tracking. Just like if you buy hand saw today, they have blade guards on them. 

Nader pointing out cars were dangerous in crashes because of their design, was not saying tickets shouldn't go out to the person responsible for the crashes, he was saying to reduce cost of medical bills, better design would reduce injuries. It was because of Nadar's screaming, the auto industry came around, and cars still exist today too. 

And again, the worst part of the firearm industry, is that I'd agree, nobody likes having their shit stolen. So it stands to reason, just like many models of cars today are harder to steal, why wouldn't you want a firearm that would be impossible to use even if stolen? How would that be any different than a password protected cell phone or computer?

I myself will never own a firearm, because I suffer from depression. But if I did, I'd want one that had a smart chip in it so that nobody but me could use it.

If your computer gets hacked, it is the hacker who is responsible yes. But we also have anti virus, malware software to reduce the risk.
Brian - PISS THE FUCK OFF!!

You' re being a first class troll.

This thread was about whether I should leave a key in a fucking lock.

It was NEVER about your motherfucking daddy issues.

You know it all cunt.