Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 27, 2024, 5:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Artwork
RE: Your Artwork
(October 19, 2011 at 8:50 am)leo-rcc Wrote: This is one of mine from long ago:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=416]
(October 19, 2011 at 5:35 am)orogenicman Wrote: I didn't do this art work (the galaxy did). I just documented it with my telescope:

[Image: IC410-2-1.jpg]

A friend of mine got this today:

[Image: 295711_10150884565935650_607775649_21538...1441_n.jpg]

Nice work, Leo. That is an interesting Dobsonian design. Never saw one quite like that one. Don't quite understand why, if they were going to use a truss design, that they left so much of the OTA at the bottom. Truss designs are generally used to reduce weight. However, by leaving so much of the tube assembly intact, I suspect they didn't save much, if any, weight. I could be wrong, of course. I bet it gives great views, though, and having a 'go to' makes life much easier as well.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
(October 19, 2011 at 3:45 pm)Phaedra Wrote: They're very personal. I don't really expect people to like or understand them. But I will share.
Cool. Yeah but that's what I love about art too, the subjectivity. People find their own meaning and quality withing works that they view and appreciate. I'd say very rarely has anyone, other than the artist, truly understood the meaning behind any artists personal work, and I think most artist prefer there to be something that only they know hidden in there, something just for them.

"When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself." Peter O'Toole.
That is certainly the case with me. The pieces that I am working on now are very painful for me to create. They require me to probe into aspects of my personality and being that I do not like. It takes a lot out of me, emotionally- I often cry when I do them. But at the same time I feel compelled to finish. They are my attempt to express my inner conflicts and explore what it means to be mentally ill in this society.
That will never hold up in court...
(October 19, 2011 at 5:26 pm)Phaedra Wrote: That is certainly the case with me. The pieces that I am working on now are very painful for me to create. They require me to probe into aspects of my personality and being that I do not like. It takes a lot out of me, emotionally- I often cry when I do them. But at the same time I feel compelled to finish. They are my attempt to express my inner conflicts and explore what it means to be mentally ill in this society.

Wow that sounds like very intense subject matter and your approach seems just as involved and intense, I admire artists that are brave enough to really soul search and leave a big part of themselves on the canvas, it's not easy.

People who have never left a part of themselves inside a body of work, be it painting, writing/poetry or music or whatever, they find it very hard to understand the weight of the whole process, and they understand even less when artists don't want to sell some of their personal work, but it's like selling your soul sometimes, it really is.

"When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself." Peter O'Toole.
Oh gosh yes. I have a hard time selling my work. I don't know if I could sell the ones I'm working on now. Not that anyone would want to buy them...

I know that a lot of people will see what I'm doing now and call it talentless bullshit, but I'm not doing it for them. It's for me.
(October 19, 2011 at 6:09 pm)Phaedra Wrote: Oh gosh yes. I have a hard time selling my work. I don't know if I could sell the ones I'm working on now. Not that anyone would want to buy them...

I know that a lot of people will see what I'm doing now and call it talentless bullshit, but I'm not doing it for them. It's for me.

You could be pleasantly suprised though, it could be the work that opens up all kinds of attention and opportunities for you as an artist, even if that might not be what you are after. either way, whether you sell them or not, or if they bring you sucess or not, I hope they bring you personal happiness in the end, I'm sure they will Smile
I'm curious though Phae, do you paint with the blood as it is, or do you prepare it in some way?
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(October 19, 2011 at 6:33 pm)Jay1982 Wrote: You could be pleasantly suprised though, it could be the work that opens up all kinds of attention and opportunities for you as an artist, even if that might not be what you are after. either way, whether you sell them or not, or if they bring you sucess or not, I hope they bring you personal happiness in the end, I'm sure they will Smile

That would be a pleasant surprise. Smile Creating them is bringing up a lot of things I've repressed, but it is cathartic.
(October 19, 2011 at 11:41 pm)Kayenneh Wrote: I'm curious though Phae, do you paint with the blood as it is, or do you prepare it in some way?

When he draws my blood he puts it in a tube with a chemical which keeps it from coagulating. I dilute it with water to get different values.
I might put up some more artwork on here later on, but I think I'll wait until other people post stuff again before I do, I don't want to be flooding it with just my stuff. But hopefully if I keep this thread current we can coax more of our artsy members to share their creations.
Doesn't blood get toxic if it dries?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some of my bro's artwork Edwardo Piet 9 2942 May 22, 2009 at 9:49 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet