Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 3:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An odd question
RE: An odd question
(July 6, 2021 at 4:36 pm)Mercyvessel Wrote:
(July 6, 2021 at 3:24 pm)Astreja Wrote: Neither of the above.  The laws of Newtonian physics are not "chance," but the predictable interactions of objects under the influence of gravitational forces.

A god daft enough to become estranged from its first two "kids," all because of the interventions of a helpful Talking Snake™ (Genesis 3), just wouldn't have the brainpower to work out the equations necessary to design planetary orbits.

It's one thing to dissent, but engaging in unwarranted insults is... unwise to state the least... and before you go on concurring with me as usual, don't bother, I am simply compelled to let you know... Now you do!

"And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell." – James 3:6

If the supposed supernatural consequences occurred in real life, it would be way more instructive.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(July 7, 2021 at 9:43 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: If the supposed supernatural consequences occurred in real life, it would be way more instructive.

According to some bible-thumpers, they do!  Plagues, disease,  bad events -- all punishments from God.

Unfortunately the targets seem entirely random, which leads to the idea that "God punishes whole nations for the sins of a few". 

And then we get witch burning.
Yeah, it would be a lot more convincing if God had better aim.

One thing the Bible got right, IMHO, is that the rain falls on the just and unjust alike.

There ain't no justice in this world but what we make for ourselves. Some evil motherfuckers are rich and live long lives with plenty of grandkids, some of whom also grow up to be rich, evil, successful motherfuckers. Some loving, kind people get bone cancer before they're twenty. There would be little better evidence for a benevolent but wrathful supernatural entity if these folks consistently got sorted properly while they were still alive.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
If they truly believe James 3:6, why are there not more with amputated tongues? Hehe
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
There's not a lot of information out there on elinguation. I had to google to find Leodegar of Poitiers
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(July 7, 2021 at 11:21 pm)tackattack Wrote: There's not a lot of information out there on elinguation. I had to google to find Leodegar of Poitiers

The Ellen Jamesians are gonna find you and correct your ignorance.

(scribble, scribble, scribble)
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 7, 2021 at 9:43 am)Mister Agenda Wrote:
(July 6, 2021 at 4:36 pm)Mercyvessel Wrote: It's one thing to dissent, but engaging in unwarranted insults is... unwise to state the least... and before you go on concurring with me as usual, don't bother, I am simply compelled to let you know... Now you do!

"And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell." – James 3:6

If the supposed supernatural consequences occurred in real life, it would be way more instructive.

Oh, but they do! The Holy Bible is replete with historic examples.

(July 7, 2021 at 12:15 am)Astreja Wrote:
(July 6, 2021 at 4:36 pm)Mercyvessel Wrote: It's one thing to dissent, but engaging in unwarranted insults is... unwise to state the least...

Hey, no problem!  I only type warranted insults.  You worship a dumb-ass god, and the Bible is the evidence.

Once more, and finally...

"But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgmentFor by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.” - Matthew 12:36-38

"And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment" - Hebrews 9:27
Hello Mercyvessel.

Why do you think there's a diety?

Why should people are about a collection of bronze age literature?

Cheers.

Not at work.
Quote:Oh, but they do! The Holy Bible is replete with historic examples
Nope not a single one 

Quote:Once more, and finally...

"But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgmentFor by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.” - Matthew 12:36-38

"And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment" - Hebrews 9:27

“…There is the heat of Love, the pulsing rush of Longing, the lover’s whisper, irresistible—magic to make the sanest man go mad.”
 Homer, The Iliad

“Any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again.”
 Homer, The Iliad

“Like the generations of leaves, the lives of mortal men. Now the wind scatters the old leaves across the earth, now the living timber bursts with the new buds and spring comes round again. And so with men: as one generation comes to life, another dies away.”

― Homer, The Iliad

I can quote ancient mythology too  Hehe
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(July 11, 2021 at 1:33 pm)Peebo-Thuhlu Wrote: Hello Mercyvessel.

Why do you think there's a diety?

Why should people are about a collection of bronze age literature?

Cheers.

Not at work.

Hello Peebo-Thuhlu. 

I - of myself - don't have the power to convince anyone of anything, I merely testify of the things I know to be true - this based on my real experiences that are corroborated by the Holy Bible.  The Lord JESUS says "Freely you have received, freely give." - Matthew 10:8; so by His grace, I do.   

I could testify of supernatural experiences that I would not have survived (because of the clear danger then posed and my complete defenselessness thereto) - but for GOD's merciful, supernatural intervention!  He made it clear to me in a number of ways (including through His living word - the Bible), and I - by His grace - thanked and continue to unreservedly thank, and praise, and glorify Him. 

Apart from all this, and logically speaking - do your own research and see the particular order and great complexity in creation - from our galaxy in relation to the more than two trillion that we know of - to our solar system - to living creatures on this planet; ourselves (intricacies of the functions and mechanics of the body) included. When one truly looks introspectively and is fairly objective, one must admit that these things do not just happen and continue on by accident. They are really impressive! 

One wouldn't necessarily be so quick to deny a reported work of say, Pablo Picasso, just because one didn't know him or didn't actually see him paint it, would one?

------- 

"So then faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of GOD" - Romans 10:17 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An odd circumstance with religion Abaddon_ire 18 1682 February 26, 2018 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Odd sect or denomination sven 29 5133 March 28, 2014 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Kayenneh