Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 3:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free will and the necessary evil
RE: Free will and the necessary evil
(November 3, 2022 at 12:13 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: What strange and spooky stuff did you realize?

To answer your question, I must share with you some relevant backstory about myself:
  1. I am a Mormon musician and I believe all music can be converted to an MP3 file which is nothing more than a sequence of 1's and 0's but I'm not allowed to link to the wikipedia article called "Hex Editor" due to the 30/30 rule. 
  2. For the same reason, I'm not allowed to link to Champernowne constant either, but there's nothing (inherently) stopping me from copy/pasting the opening paragraph...
  3. In mathematics, the Champernowne constant C10 is a transcendental real constant whose decimal expansion has important properties. It is named after economist and mathematician D. G. Champernowne, who published it as an undergraduate in 1933.
Furthermore, the iceberg theory or theory of omission is a writing technique coined by American writer Ernest Hemingway. As a young journalist, Hemingway had to focus his newspaper reports on immediate events, with very little context or interpretation. When he became a writer of short stories, he retained this minimalistic style, focusing on surface elements without explicitly discussing underlying themes. Hemingway believed the deeper meaning of a story should not be evident on the surface, but should shine through implicitly.

I am a writer, artist, and musician. The "less" I say, the "more" I say. In other words, all music has already been created already. Once the Champernowne constant was formally described and explained, the world we know it is no longer the same. I have realized more than 70 strange and spooky things. The most relevant one being (since we're discussing music) is that all music has already been created. Its MP3 sequence already exists within the decimal expansion of the Champernowne  constant. 

😮‍💨

Pretty mind-blowing stuff, wouldn't you agree? 

(even if you disagree, please make me feel welcome by at least acknowledging my efforts)
Therefore, let us glory, yea, we will glory in the Lord; yes, we will rejoice, for our joy is full; yea, we will praise our God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his mercy, and of his long-suffering towards to children of men? Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel. 🙏
I bet if you took just the letters on this board alone, even just in my 62k or so posts...you could realize such circumstances and then say..with as much creative license as you employ above, that we've already written all of english lit that ever will be. I'll wait for the letter certifying my hugo win to arrive any day now.

As far as feeling welcome, well, you've got an interesting bar for strange and spooky. That's worth something, we usually get ghost stories and schizophrenic episodes.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 3, 2022 at 1:08 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: As far as feeling welcome, well, you've got an interesting bar for strange and spooky.  That's worth something, we usually get ghost stories and schizophrenic episodes.

I'm a world-class artist/writer, if you want me to "get ghosty" or "get schizophrenicy", then be my guest... 👻

(i.e. respond to this comment in the manner in which one might expect)
Therefore, let us glory, yea, we will glory in the Lord; yes, we will rejoice, for our joy is full; yea, we will praise our God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his mercy, and of his long-suffering towards to children of men? Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel. 🙏
(November 3, 2022 at 12:56 am)HankMoody316 Wrote: To answer your question, I must share with you some relevant backstory about myself:
  1. I am a Mormon musician and I believe all music can be converted to an MP3 file which is nothing more than a sequence of 1's and 0's but I'm not allowed to link to the wikipedia article called "Hex Editor" due to the 30/30 rule. 
  2. For the same reason, I'm not allowed to link to Champernowne constant either, but there's nothing (inherently) stopping me from copy/pasting the opening paragraph...
  3. In mathematics, the Champernowne constant C10 is a transcendental real constant whose decimal expansion has important properties. It is named after economist and mathematician D. G. Champernowne, who published it as an undergraduate in 1933.

Here's the Wikipedia page about Hex Editor:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hex_editor

And this is about the constant thingy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champernowne_constant

I confess I don't see yet how these relate to the "strange and spooky." (But then I know very little about math or computers.) I'm curious as to how these relate to the topic at hand. Do they affect how you make your music in any way? Do they create strangeness? (I'm a big fan of strangeness.)

Quote:Furthermore, the iceberg theory or theory of omission is a writing technique coined by American writer Ernest Hemingway. As a young journalist, Hemingway had to focus his newspaper reports on immediate events, with very little context or interpretation. When he became a writer of short stories, he retained this minimalistic style, focusing on surface elements without explicitly discussing underlying themes. Hemingway believed the deeper meaning of a story should not be evident on the surface, but should shine through implicitly.

I am a writer, artist, and musician. The "less" I say, the "more" I say. In other words, all music has already been created already. Once the Champernowne constant was formally described and explained, the world we know it is no longer the same. I have realized more than 70 strange and spooky things. The most relevant one being (since we're discussing music) is that all music has already been created. Its MP3 sequence already exists within the decimal expansion of the Champernowne  constant. 

Does the Champernowne thing posit that all music has been created in potential, or actually? That is, mathematically we could posit that all melodies pre-exist, like all digits of pi, but this doesn't mean that all melodies have been heard by humans, or ever could be. There is still value in selecting from the infinite (?) potential melodies and then performing them. And wouldn't performance quality make a lot of difference? Like, a tune that has been plucked from the numerical sequence by a computer could vary a lot depending on who's playing it. Glenn Gould's Bach is worth paying money for, while mine isn't. 

As for the iceberg idea, I hadn't heard Hemingway's term for this, but I think it makes a lot of sense. Classic literature lives on simply because it is inexhaustible, I think. Paintings, music -- if it's good there's always going to be more than one gets at first glance. 

In fact I'm a big fan of re-reading, because I think that when you read Proust or Stendhal at 16 you're going to be getting very different messages than you get at 30 or 60. And in fact the differences in what we perceive tell us a lot about ourselves. 

I might hold back from saying that there is one and only one "deep meaning" to any given story. There is a tendency these days to analyze things as if any text is a daVinci Code, which, once decoded, reveals an intentionally hidden secret. I don't think the great texts work this way. In fact modern readings of, say, Plato may yield interpretations that the writer himself could not have imagined, but are still valuable.
(November 3, 2022 at 1:41 am)HankMoody316 Wrote:
(November 3, 2022 at 1:08 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: As far as feeling welcome, well, you've got an interesting bar for strange and spooky.  That's worth something, we usually get ghost stories and schizophrenic episodes.

I'm a world-class artist/writer, if you want me to "get ghosty" or "get schizophrenicy", then be my guest... 👻

(Bold mine)

Another undiscovered genius, eh? *indulgent chuckle*

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 2, 2022 at 11:52 pm)HankMoody316 Wrote:
LinuxGal Wrote:Free will is not a scientific concept. There can only be evidence of what we did choose, never of counterfactual outcomes. Physical laws proceed deterministically, with occasional stochastic interruptions due to quantum effects. In either case, human will, whatever that is, can have no influence. (sic my emphasis added)

I will copy/paste what 2 mathematician told me in response to my claims about music, math, and reality. Here was my claim about music and math: "Thanks, this allows me to realize some strange, spooky stuff about reality. It's amazing the power of math and how reality seems to be easier to understand once you internalize some advanced math concepts, such as set theory or sequences."

Mathematician "A" responded: "No, most of the physical world can be modeled by mathematics.  The idea that people are amazed that music can be modeled by Math is confusing to me. I wouldn’t say that music is Math. Yes, like most of the physical world it follows mathematical patterns."

Mathematician "B" responded: "Just be careful to realize that math does not always correspond with physical reality. As in, just because you can define a mathematical concept doesn't mean that the concept exists in the real world or implies anything at all about the real world by itself.

The above two statements are complementary; what's your point?
(November 3, 2022 at 12:56 am)HankMoody316 Wrote:
(November 3, 2022 at 12:13 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: What strange and spooky stuff did you realize?

To answer your question, I must share with you some relevant backstory about myself:
Furthermore, the iceberg theory or theory of omission is a writing technique coined by American writer Ernest Hemingway. As a young journalist, Hemingway had to focus his newspaper reports on immediate events, with very little context or interpretation. When he became a writer of short stories, he retained this minimalistic style, focusing on surface elements without explicitly discussing underlying themes. Hemingway believed the deeper meaning of a story should not be evident on the surface, but should shine through implicitly.

😮‍💨

Pretty mind-blowing stuff, wouldn't you agree? 

(even if you disagree, please make me feel welcome by at least acknowledging my efforts)

It's not clear that all past musical sequences are contained within the Champernowne constant. As Wittgenstein observed, there being an infinite amount of time doesn't mean that everything possible will happen. The order within the Campernowne number may actually ensure that some sequences do not occur. It would probably be too much for my little brain, but I'd like to see where a competent mathematician has proven what you claim. It seems it would fall under Ramsey theory, but more than that I know not.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
If you convert all music to MP3, you'll get no flac from me.
(November 3, 2022 at 1:41 am)HankMoody316 Wrote:

Should I be in awe?

Convince me that you are world-class anything, other than an egotistical ass.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

God doesnt explain himself. He Just orders. Like demand to love Him passionately, when mf is willing to torture people for years and years.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UCKG: Church tells boy 'evil spirit' hides in him zebo-the-fat 1 428 December 11, 2023 at 4:51 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Brick If everything has a purpose then evil doesn't exist zwanzig 738 42722 June 28, 2023 at 10:48 am
Last Post: emjay
  Free will and the necessary evil Mystical 14 1640 November 11, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Armageddon. Does it make Jesus rather evil? Greatest I am 21 2282 February 9, 2021 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Christians pray evil away on the winter solstice. brewer 9 1049 December 29, 2020 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Hitler was genocidal and evil. Yahweh’s genocides are good; say Christians, Muslims & Greatest I am 25 2471 September 14, 2020 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 39009 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Theist ➤ Why ☠ Atheism is Evil Compared to ✠ Christianity The Joker 177 27665 December 3, 2016 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The Problem of Evil (XXVII) SteveII 248 28340 June 16, 2016 at 4:01 pm
Last Post: SteveII
  The illusion of justice, sin and free will dyresand 17 4463 October 15, 2015 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho