Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 22, 2024, 1:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Noteworthy News
RE: Noteworthy News
All it would take for the "cartels" to cease to exist would be for all those USians to quit buying their product. Same for the Taliban- quit buying shit from the poppy fields. The US is buying the seeds of its own destruction.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(January 10, 2023 at 10:24 pm)Fireball Wrote: All it would take for the "cartels" to cease to exist would be for all those USians to quit buying their product. Same for the Taliban- quit buying shit from the poppy fields. The US is buying the seeds of its own destruction.

There's some truth to that in that the USA's appetite for narcotics is a substantial source of income for the cartels, however, drugs shipped north are not their only line of business. Much like organized crime in the 20th USA, they've diversified into other business lines, both legal and not.
So, if you’re at all curious about the sort of things that the right considers CRT, well… it’s literally this.

https://www.cbr.com/school-ends-dr-seuss...m-lessons/

Quote: According to an article by The Dispatch, a third-grade classroom within Shale Meadows Elementary School, which is part of Ohio's Olentangy Local School District, was reading Dr. Seuss' The Sneetches while spending a day with NPR reporter Erika Beras. Beras was there to record a new episode of NPR's "Planet Money," a podcast exploring the economic lessons that can be learned from various topics.

At one point, one of the students made a comment about the book's themes and lessons on racism. "It's almost like what happened back then, how people were treated...Like, disrespected...Like, white people disrespected Black people, but then, they might stand up in the book," the student commented.

The district's assistant director of communications, Amanda Beeman, stop up and interrupted the reading shortly after the comment was made. "I don't know if I feel comfortable with the book being one of the ones featured," Beeman said. "I just feel like this isn't teaching anything about economics, and this is a little bit more about differences with race and everything like that." When Beras pointed out The Sneetches is also about topics such as open markets and economic loss, Beeman commented, "I just don't think it might be appropriate for the third-grade class and for them to have a discussion around it."

The Planet Money podcast in question can be listened to heah.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
A court in France has declared that a statue of the "virgin" Mary is in fact religious and, because it's on public ground and maintained at public expense, ordered it removed. Too damned right.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0113/134651...ry-statue/
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(January 14, 2023 at 12:53 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: So, if you’re at all curious about the sort of things that the right considers CRT, well… it’s literally this.

Quote: According to an article by The Dispatch, a third-grade classroom within Shale Meadows Elementary School, which is part of Ohio's Olentangy Local School District, was reading Dr. Seuss' The Sneetches while spending a day with NPR reporter Erika Beras. Beras was there to record a new episode of NPR's "Planet Money," a podcast exploring the economic lessons that can be learned from various topics.

At one point, one of the students made a comment about the book's themes and lessons on racism. "It's almost like what happened back then, how people were treated...Like, disrespected...Like, white people disrespected Black people, but then, they might stand up in the book," the student commented.

The district's assistant director of communications, Amanda Beeman, stop up and interrupted the reading shortly after the comment was made. "I don't know if I feel comfortable with the book being one of the ones featured," Beeman said. "I just feel like this isn't teaching anything about economics, and this is a little bit more about differences with race and everything like that." When Beras pointed out The Sneetches is also about topics such as open markets and economic loss, Beeman commented, "I just don't think it might be appropriate for the third-grade class and for them to have a discussion around it."

Translation: We can’t have third graders making such astute observation about race.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(January 14, 2023 at 2:36 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(January 14, 2023 at 12:53 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: So, if you’re at all curious about the sort of things that the right considers CRT, well… it’s literally this.

Translation: We can’t have third graders making such astute observation about race.

Boru

And if the discourse from the Project Veritas thread is any indication, some people are probably going to decide that, if the kid's astute enough to notice the racial allegory on their own, then there's no need to talk about it in school.

(January 14, 2023 at 2:05 pm)GUBU Wrote: A court in France has declared that a statue of the "virgin" Mary is in fact religious and, because it's on public ground and maintained at public expense, ordered it removed.  Too damned right.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0113/134651...ry-statue/

You'd think they'd have picked up on that earlier (that laicite law has been going since 1905) and donated it to a local church.

(January 14, 2023 at 3:57 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote:
(January 14, 2023 at 2:36 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Translation: We can’t have third graders making such astute observation about race.

Boru

And if the discourse from the Project Veritas thread is any indication, some people are probably going to decide that, if the kid's astute enough to notice the racial allegory on their own, then there's no need to talk about it in school.
If only they were all that astute
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Another possibility, which I admit may or may not work (my knowledge of the laicite laws isn’t in depth, naturally): the town gives the local church the deed for a parcel of land just large enough to contain the statue on the condition that the church never ask the town for a cent or centime (depending on when they made the deal) of public money for the upkeep of the statue.

(January 14, 2023 at 10:53 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: Another possibility, which I admit may or may not work (my knowledge of the laicite laws isn’t in depth, naturally): the town gives the local church the deed for a parcel of land just large enough to contain the statue on the condition that the church never ask the town for a cent or centime (depending on when they made the deal) of public money for the upkeep of the statue.

The land, being on a crossroads, probably cannot be donated. Well, if the town wants to be able to effect repairs to the road anyway.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Black/White people news thread for all news current, historical, or otherwise. Huggy Bear 77 5753 February 14, 2022 at 2:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  "News" Which Is Not "News" To Anyone Minimalist 0 594 May 24, 2018 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Fox news its just pure idiocy its not news its Satire dyresand 3 1681 May 17, 2015 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Brian37