Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 2:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
It's A Quote
RE: It's A Quote
"I want to unfold.  I don't want to stay folded anywhere, because where I am folded, there I am a lie."
— Rilke
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
“Nobody but a dedicated Christian could possibly read the gospels and not see them as a tissue of nonsense.” (Isaac Asimov)  Read
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
[Image: e4WhypFE_o.jpg]
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
“Take some time and put the Bible on your summer reading list. Try and stick with it cover to cover. Not because it teaches history. We’ve shown you it doesn’t. Read it because you’ll see for yourself what the Bible is all about. It sure isn’t great literature. If it were published as fiction, no reviewer would give it a passing grade. There are some vivid scenes and quotable phrases, but there’s no plot, no structure, there’s a tremendous amount of filler, and the characters are painfully one-dimensional. Whatever you do, don’t read the Bible for a moral code: it advocates prejudice, cruelty, superstition and murder. Read it because we need more atheists, and nothing will get you there faster than reading the damn Bible.” (Penn Gillette)  Read
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
[Image: RkrRBt3p_o.jpeg]
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
"March is a wet, muddy month down below. Some folks like it....farmers mostly." (Bear Claw Lapp)  Read
"So now it comes down to Bing, which utilises the latest GPT-4 (opens in new tab) model that would only be available to ChatGPT users if they paid for the Pro version. With Bing you can access it for free as long as you sign in with your Live account, open the page in Microsoft Edge, and promise Microsoft your firstborn child."
“What is ‘God’? Well. You know, when you want something really bad and you close your eyes and wish for it? God’s the guy that ignores you.” (Steve Buscemi)  Read
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested."
Francis Bacon.
[Image: 831a9b55b3dddcddfac76c9e37e29949.jpg]
Read

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Quote Game The Valkyrie 175 15806 December 18, 2022 at 8:28 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Name that movie quote! Losty 0 808 August 29, 2016 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Change a word, ruin a quote Cyberman 71 9381 March 26, 2015 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Make a quotable quote here. Brian37 72 18775 November 1, 2012 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Faith No More