Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 20, 2024, 4:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Nihilists here?
RE: Any Nihilists here?
You went off the rails pretty quick. I hold every view to it's own standard. That I allow for a little weird in every explanation is just me being generous. Think about how you're bickering with me right now. It strongly suggests that you think there is such a thing as a meaningful right and wrong.

That's more than a little weirdness, which I'm happy to allow. It's the whole thing...but you're a nihilist...right?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I don't see how what you say follows. I am bickering with you because I subjectively enjoy it. I don't believe it has any objective moral value. I also don't think I've gone of any rails. I don't even know what you mean by that.

But if you'd rather not discourse with me on this topic that is fine. I just think the things I've posted and enjoy arguing.

Do you think I hold to any POV which you don't?
Well, if you just subjectively have a disagreement then I'll utterly disregard it. It's not that I'm wrong - no such thing. It's more that you like chocolate and I'm talking about vanilla.

When you express your nihilism...you do think it's true and meaningful. This is the main problem for nihilism..even if it's true...especially if it's true. Being true...is a problem for nihilism.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
There is no moral wrong, all morality is like preferring vanilla over chocolate.
One can be 'wrong' in the sense of being factually incorrect, or being illogical, or being unreasonable etc, though.

So you can't be wrong on saying that it is objectively immoral to kill infants for fun, but you can be wrong if you say 2+2=75
Is it? Skullfucking an infant and rescuing a seal are just chocolate an vanilla? Here's the next problem with nihilists - from an experiential and behavioral pov...ofc.... If they believed what they said we should see more skullfucked children and fewer rescued seals.
Yes, they're equal in the sense that they are actions undertaken by evolved apes without freewill with no reference to any objective moral reality.

They are different in that most people strongly subjectively prefer one to the other. Some don't.

The world reflects that people have that strong common subjective preference with the occasional person having a different set of preferences.
If you say so. Who am I to argue? What possible objective and meaningful standard could compare and differentiate between skullfucking an infant and rescuing a seal. I'm sure you've made your thoughts on this clear to all of your peers, and that they don't recoil in horror when they see you.
No, most agree with me. Very few atheists, physicalists, or agnostics Ive met believe in moral realism.
Do they? Fuck. Kind of party where you cant turn your back on anyone, eh? I don't know why you think that few people, atheists or otherwise, don't believe in moral realism. It's both the common intuition -and- the majority academic position.

You sure it's atheists you're hanging out with, cuz these infant skullfuckers sound like something else...
They act the same on average as everyone else. Subjective selfishness works out the same in the wash.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Long term Nihilists CapnAwesome 41 8011 April 26, 2015 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  Any Vegetarians/Vegans here? là bạn điên 1057 179634 August 13, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: jughead