Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 20, 2024, 12:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Nihilists here?
RE: Any Nihilists here?
(August 23, 2023 at 10:21 am)Confabulate Wrote: There should be a rule against nihilism.

That's funny.
Absurdism beats nihilism, no logic means no rules and no rules means you can do whatever you want, including believing in nihilism, if that's what you want to do, but nihilism itself is just straight up hopeless.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
(August 23, 2023 at 10:30 am)Ahriman Wrote: Absurdism beats nihilism, no logic means no rules and no rules means you can do whatever you want, including believing in nihilism, if that's what you want to do, but nihilism itself is just straight up hopeless.

Absurdism seems to me to have the exact same views as nihilism. What's the difference, other than the term and the connotation of an attitudinal difference?

Also, not every form of nihilism holds to no logic.

And also how is belief a choice (regardless of what is believed)?

And what do you mean by nihilism being hopeless?
Absurdism allows for meaning in life.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 23, 2023 at 11:07 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Absurdism allows for meaning in life.

So does some forms of nihilism. Just entirely personal subjective meaning. Just like existentialism and absurdism (which seem to be off-shoots of nihilism).

As per wiki: "In popular use, the term commonly refers to forms of existential nihilism, according to which life is without intrinsic value, meaning, or purpose. ... Existential nihilism is the position that life has no intrinsic meaning or value.[3] With respect to the universe, existential nihilism posits that a single human or even the entire human species is insignificant, without purpose, and unlikely to change in the totality of existence. The meaninglessness of life is largely explored in the philosophical school of existentialism, where one can create their own subjective meaning or purpose. In popular use, "nihilism" now most commonly refers to forms of existential nihilism."

Note the similarity with the wiki on absurdism: "Absurdism is the philosophical theory that the universe is irrational and meaningless ... Absurdism and nihilism share the belief that life is meaningless."
When you say things like that, it convinces me that you're not a nihilist, lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 23, 2023 at 11:12 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: When you say things like that, it convinces me that you're not a nihilist, lol.

I'm a nihilist only in the sense that I've explained it. Nihilism covers a range of different viewpoints. The nihilism I subscribe to is the one I delineated. If you think a better term applies to me, make your case.
If there doesn't seem, to you, to be a difference between nihilism as you understand it and absurdism or existentialism, then you're probably an absurdist or an existentialist.

Existentialists believe that life has whatever value or meaning we create. Absurdists believe that whatever we value or create and all that exists is...well...absurd, and nihilists believe that life is in vain.
(August 23, 2023 at 11:16 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: If there doesn't seem, to you, to be a difference between nihilism as you understand it and absurdism or existentialism, then you're probably an absurdist or an existentialist.

Why are absurdist and/or existentialist better fits for my worldview? Absurdism and existentialism seem to come with extra stuff/foci beyond nihilism which I don't which to convey. I prefer the more broad and less specific label. It seems more accurate.
(August 23, 2023 at 11:16 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: If there doesn't seem, to you, to be a difference between nihilism as you understand it and absurdism or existentialism, then you're probably an absurdist or an existentialist.

Existentialists believe that life has whatever value or meaning we create. Absurdists believe that whatever we value or create and all that exists is...well...absurd, and nihilists believe that life is in vain.

These don't seem mutually exclusive to me. I'd accept all 3 as true.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Long term Nihilists CapnAwesome 41 8009 April 26, 2015 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  Any Vegetarians/Vegans here? là bạn điên 1057 179609 August 13, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: jughead