Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 1, 2024, 1:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Divergent sexualities
RE: Divergent sexualities
(November 1, 2023 at 9:31 am)Ahriman Wrote:
(November 1, 2023 at 9:23 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: Psuedo-reciprocity is all that seems to be required to generate the chemical brain state we call the emotion of love.  Illusions are sufficient.

People can experience the same love emotion they have for their spouses, for example, in their dreams for dream characters, or during hallucinations, or in religious interactions with their deity or whatever.  I have felt intense love in dreams and during moments of religious ecstasy, and it is similar in quality (though different in practical outworking) to the love I've felt for human lovers, friends and family.

If it was revealed to me that my child was an automaton, a P-zombie or simulation, and had never been conscious, the love I have had for them wouldn't have been any less than others would have had for their children even though there never would never have been any real reciprocity. And I would continue to feel that emotion subsequently (I mean, I already beleive all humans lack freewill and are conscious organic robots).

So yes, love as a bare emotion doesn't require anything beyond ourselves.

Well humans are free, for now. There are people who want to change that. Will love (in any form) be a relevant thing if humans no longer have free will?

If humans don't have freewill (as I think most likely) then love is what it is.  The emotion of love doesn't require freewill.
(November 1, 2023 at 9:35 am)FrustratedFool Wrote:
(November 1, 2023 at 9:31 am)Ahriman Wrote: Well humans are free, for now. There are people who want to change that. Will love (in any form) be a relevant thing if humans no longer have free will?

If humans don't have freewill (as I think most likely) then love is what it is.  The emotion of love doesn't require freewill.

Sure it does. We only feel love for specific people/things etc. It's not a conscious choice, but on some level a choice is being made to love that person/thing etc. (specifically) and not everything else in existence. Love is very picky. It is a choice.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
Speaking of choices that we feel we can (or can't) make. The house is burning. Does a person in love with an object lose their life in an attempt to save the object? Can we see ourselves dying in the molten embrace of a piece of furniture?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 1, 2023 at 9:43 am)Ahriman Wrote:
(November 1, 2023 at 9:35 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: If humans don't have freewill (as I think most likely) then love is what it is.  The emotion of love doesn't require freewill.

Sure it does. We only feel love for specific people/things etc. It's not a conscious choice, but on some level a choice is being made to love that person/thing etc. (specifically) and not everything else in existence. Love is very picky. It is a choice.

That seems a matter of belief.  i don't have the same faith.  I have an absence of faith in freewill.
People who think that love is a choice (freely willed or otherwise) have, I suspect, experienced very little love in their lives. Or at least very little of what I'm talking about when I use the term. In my experience, I have far greater control over the expression of my sexuality than I do over the expression of my love...which is setting the bar super low from the outset, lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 1, 2023 at 10:06 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: People who think that love is a choice (freely willed or otherwise) have, I suspect, experienced very little love in their lives.  Or at least very little of what I'm talking about when I use the term.  In my experience, I have far greater control over the expression of my sexuality than I do over the expression of my love...which is setting the bar super low from the outset, lol.

Well you don't really need both, do you?
Mapping love: How 27 different types of love manifest in the body

Quote:A research group at Aalto University in Finland conducted a study to explore how different types of love are experienced in various parts of the body. Surveying 558 native Finnish speakers, they identified 27 distinct types of love, which encompassed feelings for humans, non-human entities, and abstract ideas.  The study revealed that while some types of love, like passionate love, were strongly felt throughout the body, others, such as love for wisdom, were felt less intensely and primarily in the head.

[Image: cphp_a_2252464_f0001_oc.jpeg?resize=768,625]
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

(November 1, 2023 at 10:19 am)Angrboda Wrote: Mapping love: How 27 different types of love manifest in the body

Quote:A research group at Aalto University in Finland conducted a study to explore how different types of love are experienced in various parts of the body. Surveying 558 native Finnish speakers, they identified 27 distinct types of love, which encompassed feelings for humans, non-human entities, and abstract ideas.  The study revealed that while some types of love, like passionate love, were strongly felt throughout the body, others, such as love for wisdom, were felt less intensely and primarily in the head.

[Image: cphp_a_2252464_f0001_oc.jpeg?resize=768,625]

I'd be interested to see a scan of OS folk and see how it varies from non-OS folk when it comes to their beloved objects. I'd also like to see what children feel for their teddy bears.
I'm pretty sure my love for my tulpa would barely register. But I'm going to assume it would be somewhere in the heart region.