Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 27, 2024, 5:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Noteworthy News
RE: Noteworthy News
(December 6, 2023 at 2:43 pm)Foxaèr Wrote:
Quote:Warren Buffett has a genius plan to 'end U.S. deficit in 5 minutes'

Warren Buffett has a simple way to stop the increasing debt.

It comes from a clip taken in 2011, when CNBC's Becky Quick asked the billionaire investor what he might do to solve the growing problem. The clip has since resurfaced online.

“I could end the deficit in five minutes. You just pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of
Congress are ineligible for reelection," he said,

"Now you've got the incentives in the right place. So it's capable of being done. ... A more effective threat would be just to say, if you guys can't get it done, we'll get some other guys to get it done."

The Street

Buffett’s a very savvy investor, but that’s a really stupid plan. Has he considered who would have to pass that law?

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax

It comes from a clip taken in 2011, when CNBC's Becky Quick asked the billionaire investor what he might do to solve the growing problem. The clip has since resurfaced online.

“I could end the deficit in five minutes. You just pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of

"Now you've got the incentives in the right place. So it's capable of being done. ... A more effective threat would be just to say, if you guys can't get it done, we'll get some other guys to get it done."

The Street
Congress passes a bill that makes congressional thievery illegal? Yeah, that's going to happen.
But they’ve been blaming Biden for this.

Quote:The biggest chicken and tuna companies in the U.S. have been found guilty of price fixing.

Now thousands of people are getting paid with money recovered from the corporations.

The State of Washington is using over $40 million to send checks to 402,200 households.

https://komonews.com/news/local/washingt...conference
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(December 3, 2023 at 5:15 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Let me see. Musk made comments supporting anti-Semitic conspiracy theories. His advertisers took exception and made the business decision to pull their ads (his chief source of revenue) from his platform. Musk's response was to say that advertisers can go fuck themselves.

Financial whiz, this guy.

Boru

Snowflake billionaires love to shoot their mouths off then bitch when the free market goes against them.

Huge difference between boycotting because you are a d-bag transphobe shooting beer cans, verses boycotting because you don't like being associated with antisemites.
(December 8, 2023 at 6:15 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(December 3, 2023 at 5:15 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Let me see. Musk made comments supporting anti-Semitic conspiracy theories. His advertisers took exception and made the business decision to pull their ads (his chief source of revenue) from his platform. Musk's response was to say that advertisers can go fuck themselves.

Financial whiz, this guy.

Boru

Snowflake billionaires love to shoot their mouths off then bitch when the free market goes against them.

Huge difference between boycotting because you are a d-bag transphobe shooting beer cans, verses boycotting because you don't like being associated with antisemites.

Funny thing - Kid Rock, who shot up the Bud Light cans, sells Bud Light at his bar in Nashville.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(December 3, 2023 at 10:54 pm)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(December 3, 2023 at 10:45 pm)Jackalope Wrote: Galaxy brain move, that.

How many billion has he lost now on Twitter ?

That should be less of a worry for him than how many of MBS' billions he's lost.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(December 4, 2023 at 3:25 pm)Foxaèr Wrote:
Quote:Jeff Bezos Donates $120 Million to Fight Homelessness, Then Invests $500 Million to Make It Worse

Common Dreams

The Street

Very stupid rule that. Limiting a country's ability to deficit spends simply makes it harder for the country to devise ways to end a recession, further limiting their tax take, which in turn lowers the level at which it enters deficit spending. It's a vicious cycle for which the only way out is deficit spending until the economy is righted.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
Quote:A fifth of Americans ages 18-29 believe the Holocaust was a myth, according to a new poll from The Economist/YouGov.

While the question only surveyed a small sample of about 200 people, it lends credence to concerns about rising antisemitism, especially among young people in the U.S.

Another 30 percent of young people said they didn’t agree or disagree with the statement, while the remaining 47 percent disagreed. Only 7 percent of Americans overall believe the Holocaust is a myth, according to the poll.

Congress and the White House have placed special attention on fighting antisemitism in recent weeks as the Israel-Hamas war in Gaza continues to divide public opinion. Leaders of top universities were grilled by a House committee this week on the topic, drawing criticism for vague answers on what comments constituted antisemitic harassment.

About a third of Americans described antisemitism as a “very serious problem” in the poll, with just more than a quarter of young people saying the same.

On Friday, a bipartisan group of senators, led by Sen. Jacky Rosen (D-Nev.), introduced a bill to reauthorize the Never Again Education Act, providing federal funding for Holocaust education.

https://thehill.com/homenews/education/4...aust-myth/

I don't know who to spit at more, the teachers or the students.

I blame the parents. Most young people learn their abhorrent behaviors and beliefs from them.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(December 9, 2023 at 12:51 pm)Foxaèr Wrote: I blame the parents. Most young people learn their abhorrent behaviors and beliefs from them.

Right, and I should have been more clear that parents are the teachers in this scenario.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Black/White people news thread for all news current, historical, or otherwise. Huggy Bear 77 5019 February 14, 2022 at 2:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  "News" Which Is Not "News" To Anyone Minimalist 0 570 May 24, 2018 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Fox news its just pure idiocy its not news its Satire dyresand 3 1627 May 17, 2015 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Brian37