Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 10:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For Black History Month
RE: For Black History Month
Are you just pissed off that for convenience's sake it's "blacks" and not "all races" in many examples?
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(February 20, 2012 at 4:00 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: Are you just pissed off that for convenience's sake it's "blacks" and not "all races" in many examples?

I think that's it. I'd have exactly the same opinion if it was white history month we were talking about.
I've done a bit of research since my last post and have learned that Black History Month had its beginning as Negro History Week in 1926 in the USA.
Support for the project resulted in the change of name to Black History Month in 1976.
In the UK, Black History Month started in 1987 and continues to be supported.
In Canada, it started in 1995 and continues to attract support.
To be fair, as I am sure we all are on this forum, it cannot be denied that there is a demand by black people, and support from non-blacks , for the event.

Tiberius chose Morgan Freeman to champion the case against, and so what is Morgan Freeman's case? A very short one in a very short interview.
He dismisses the month because it is too short a timescale to cover black history. As RevJeremiah has pointed out, the month acts as a FOCUS , a once-a-year occasion, well-established and supported, to review black history and culture. Freeman's objection is lame and puerile imo.

Freeman's only other objection is that he views black history in America as just American history... period. Well I would like to hear why he takes that position, one can only speculate why a very successful and wealthy black man might do so, when so many fellow black Americans do not. Whatever, it is hardly a strong case against.

It is also worth pointing out that the clip is several years old but Morgan's message certainly hasn't stopped the event in its tracks, nor will it ever, I suspect. The crucial point is that very many Black people believe the event is of value and useful in educational terms for the younger generations coming through. I support their point of view.

As to why white people express such vehement opposition, again one can only speculate.
I speculate in much the same way as RevJeremiah.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
Quote:Is it against the rules to say fuck? Fuck fuck fuckity fuck. Freedom of expression eh? Bloody stupid isn't it?
aww fiddlesticks.....fine....you can cuss at me all you want. Big Grin I just wanted to make sure you werent getting all upset over something you find unnecessary. I support your freedom of expression, but if you expect the police to enforce your statement of "fuck you " to me than you can bet I will be shoving razors up my ass as a present for you in wait.
Quote:Well done. Want a gold star?
I have five of them...dont know that they are for, but sure enough they are right next to my avatar.
Quote:Hmm, learn't something new today. I prefer to call them fellow human beings without having the need to specify that they are different but whatever.
Same here about calling them human, but nothing wrong with pointing out their history as well.
Quote:Awww, too bad. I find dividing people up into race and giving them a month to 'celebrate it' incredibly demeaning. But hey, that's just me.
Im sure there was a good possibility in those sentences that you could have insulted me again... yet you didnt take it. You are seriously slacking on your insults bub. we cant have that around here!
Quote:But here is where you go off from the main point. Having a communist history month (which is still stupid and pointless) is not the bloody same as having a 'black' history month.

fine...here...I will post on point:

Napolian thinks black history month is unnecessary.
Quote:Well I wouldn't worry about it. You seem too pre-occupied with someone saying a few naughty words to actually devote enough brain power to understanding argument.
yes...I fully understand the argument. Napolean thinks black history month is unnecessary because he finds dividing people up into race and giving them a month to 'celebrate it' incredibly demeaning.
Quote:Labelling people as different races for a start.
Fine. We will get rid of all of our race labels. That should fix racism and Sickle Cell Anemia.
Quote:How the fuck am I going to partake in them anyway?
Beats the fuck out of me...how about I make a "black history" thread on this forum so that you could have the pleasure of not partaking in it?
Quote:Well forgive me then, I shouldn't speak on his behalf.
Its cool. You fucking fucker!!! Tongue (yeah, thats right...get some bitches!!!)

Seriously though....I know most people are unaware of the discussions me and tiberius have had in the past. Thats why I try to be as easy going to others who see me saying Tiberius supports racism but have never seen the particulars of the history.
Fuck.

I can no longer respond adequately because the phone won't stop ringing here at work, and then I have a test afterwards.

Bozo, the organic movement continues to attract support. Just because a movement gains followers doesn't mean that some or all of its principles have practical applications or even founded in truth.

I think Freeman's point is that he IS a black man who is clearly succeeding. So...what? Because other blacks aren't, as well as many others in other races...therefore, history months?

(February 20, 2012 at 4:23 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: Fuck.

I can no longer respond adequately because the phone won't stop ringing here at work, and then I have a test afterwards.

Bozo, the organic movement continues to attract support. Just because a movement gains followers doesn't mean that some or all of its principles have practical applications or even founded in truth.

I think Freeman's point is that he IS a black man who is clearly succeeding. So...what? Because other blacks aren't, as well as many others in other races...therefore, history months?

This event is valued by very many people.
Who are you or Freeman to question its validity, credibility or value? And why would you? I would need more from him on the matter....I hear the other detractors on this forum loud and clear.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
After reading this thread, here's my opinion, and I'll make it very short.

Frankly, I don't actually have any objections against Black History Month. There are many other history months such as Women's History Month, Greek History, Irish History Month, Asian History Month, Jewish History Month, etc, but it doesn't have to mean that only that particular group is being singled out as special or superior than the rest of the human race. In the case of Black History Month, I think that the focus is simply on the history itself - i.e. the specific people and events that took place in the past - not all the blacks in general. I think this is essentially what Rev has been saying and I agree with that. Therefore, I honestly don't think that an approval (nor the lack thereof) of a "Black History Month" implies that one is a racist.

Is Black History Month unnecessary? Maybe, but I don't see what's the great harm in having such a history month. Even if it didn't exist, I don't think it would eliminate nor even reduce racism in the world today. The important thing is to educate everyone about race, equality, and things like that regardless of just assigning a name to a single month of the year.
Quote:After reading this thread

Just lost all respect for you. Big Grin
(February 20, 2012 at 4:51 pm)5thHorseman Wrote: Just lost all respect for you. Big Grin

That's okay.

But if you could tell me the exact reason for that, or tell me what part you disagree with, then that would be better. Tongue

Wink I think it's for the fact that you "wasted your time" on it, Rayaan my dear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Black People - Stop Blaming Racism, Take Responsibility Napoléon 227 27126 March 18, 2022 at 4:21 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Is there a continent in history where Britain never went too? Sweden83 21 1318 December 5, 2020 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Kamala Harris makes history Foxaèr 5 548 August 21, 2020 at 10:31 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Black Lives Matter is not anti racist, but pro marxist Ramus932 25 2239 June 14, 2020 at 2:10 am
Last Post: Zepp
  Black lives matter WinterHold 49 3620 June 10, 2020 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Black men kneeling Foxaèr 18 2654 May 26, 2018 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Is Trump trying to piss black people off? Jehanne 31 4984 January 17, 2018 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The biggest crime in the history of humanity WinterHold 16 2886 September 22, 2017 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  History and some of the atrocities associated with it ErGingerbreadMandude 0 432 September 14, 2017 at 11:26 pm
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  Can Republicans finally just admit that they hate black people NuclearEnergy 7 2022 July 10, 2017 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: vorlon13