Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 5:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evolution
RE: Evolution
Sorry, I don't know if this has been discussed/answered already, but where is it that the Garden of Eden used to be in the world? Or it's not possible to tell?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
3 doors down from Valhalla, across the road from Olympus obviously. Duh.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm

(March 21, 2012 at 1:37 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(March 20, 2012 at 7:42 pm)Drich Wrote: [quote='Cthulhu Dreaming' pid='258734' dateline='1332283560']
So let's see if I've got this straight.

You (alone, apparently) are suggesting that the time span (in Genesis) between "In the beginning..." and "GTFO of Eden" was 5.4 billion years minus 6,000 or so?

Edit to add - ... and that during this time, the Earth and all of it's life forms evolved as they appear to have done, while inside of Eden, everything happened according to Genesis?

Pretty close!

so during the 5 odd billion years where life evolved outside of Eden into these monkey-men of which you speak, who are(genetically) identical to humans but have no soul.

And considering that man is made in gods image.

It would appear then that evolution seems to have done a remarkable job in building an exact replica of Gods image using only the power of natural selection(minus the soul of course)... ?

(March 21, 2012 at 11:04 am)FallentoReason Wrote: Sorry, I don't know if this has been discussed/answered already, but where is it that the Garden of Eden used to be in the world? Or it's not possible to tell?

According to the Mormons, in Missouri.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.

So, in other words, no you don't have any?

I could give a flying fuck what my peers have been doing in this thread.

You have made several positive material claims, if you want to be taken seriously, then provide some demonstrable evidence. You know, the kind that other people can examine and verify/falsify, and that exists somewhere other than in your imagination.

If you can't or won't do that, the only conclusion I can draw is that you're full of shit.

(March 20, 2012 at 4:52 pm)NoMoreFaith Wrote: It explains nothing unless you have evidence for existence.

Other, than that, it is surplus to requirement. Occams Razor prevails.

Just for the record Drich, I posted directly after the 'garden of eden' hypothesis you proposed.

First post and several after asking for evidence of your proposal Drich. You declined to offer any, so there is no point to debating it.
Now you claim nobody asked.

You may as well argue that faeries are compatible with evolution, because they were made in the seelie and unseelie kingdoms unreachable from this plane of existence.

As a proposal, this has equivalent theoretical status unless you can provide evidence for the existence of this garden of eden on earth.

You've been called out as a weasel who avoids the questions, and I call you out on it again.
Evidence or a faery gets it.

Sadly I know your sort, by using questions instead of proof, or even logic, you can remain in an imaginary offensive without justifying your self-authenticated illusions.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
(March 20, 2012 at 12:44 am)Drich Wrote: Why do Atheist believe evolution cancels out creationism?
The question is nonsensical and should be rephrased. Atheism is a single response to theistic claims that a god or gods exist in that we don't believe any such being exists. My atheism tells you nothing about what I do believe in.

(March 20, 2012 at 8:06 am)Hunter9035 Wrote: Because God says how he created us, already human, he spoke us into existence.
If he's real how do you know he's not lying? How do you know he's not a plagiarist taking the credit for something that happened naturally or was created by some other being?

(March 20, 2012 at 4:43 pm)Drich Wrote: Eden is well defined paradise bordered by 4 rivers
My idea of paradise is one with 3 rivers.

Therefore, Eden was not a paradise.
http://atheistforums.org/post-259279.html#pid259279
If you have to tease the text you're reading it wrong (or you have the wrong texts, maybe the qu'ran would suit you better?). They call this apologetics for a reason. Try faith, I hear it works. Amusement =/= interest. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love how you're bending the text as new knowledge becomes available, I know where this leads...lol. The words of an ignorant god aren't good enough for me either, I'd take the ole red marker to the bible myself. Keep up the good work.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 21, 2012 at 3:49 am)whateverist Wrote: Well there are many enlightened Christians who don't read the bible literally and so have no problem accepting evolution. So of course I hoped you were one of them.
Nooope!

Quote: Certainly your talk of you and your fellow Christian's interest in evolution made it sound that way.
Smile Just because i do not agree with every christian view, it does not automatically puts me on "your side." I am looking at the fatal flaws in the belief of Origins as a whole. This simply means I am not playing favorites. I have taken an honest look at both accounts identified and eliminated the conjecture and speculation on both sides, and combined what was left.

Quote: Turns out you are just interested in learning enough about evolution to be able to disparage it and preserve your literal bible facts.
Again not really a discussion on the mechanics of evolution. My opening post was more of a philosophical one. I wanted to know why one canceled out the other.

Quote:From an outside perspective it doesn't look that way at all. It looks like you expect God to deliver on what the bible promises as if it were some kind of contract.
What I am looking for is the proof that was promised in the bible. thats it, If God was not around to full fill these promises then who would I be worshiping?

Quote:What are you going to do if you're just plain wrong in the way you're reading the bible and therefore have it wrong about God and what He expects of you, sue Him?
If I was wrong, I guess I would fall from my faith as many of you have, since I did not get what I was looking for. My faith is nothing special it is a weak and as temperamental as anyone else's. The question that should be asked is what exactly have I found that demands my full devotion.

Quote:Oh I'll bet it is. A mind is a terrible thing to waste but it probably doesn't go away willingly. To give up all your own thoughts to try and adopt the facts of the bible as you understand them shows no faith at all in God.
Replace the words "Bible" and "God" with Theory, and the same rehearsed arguments all of you seem to be sharing. If anything this points to a hive mind mentality on your part. So truthfully no matter what is believed how does this statement not apply in some form or fashion to everyone?

Quote:You have faith in the bible and its God, but not God Himself.
Without the bible how is one to know God?

Quote:prayer but you don't trust Him to help you read the bible in an intelligent way, as a piece of literature.
Smile soo.. Because I do not read the bible in a way to support my atheistic brother's beliefs, and because I read the bible to support the God found in it, and support His teachings I do not trust God or I do not trust the "intelligent ways" you have identified?

Quote:It is definitely easier to interpret the bible as facts than to engage it with your whole being to understand it directly. If only you guys had any faith in yourselves perhaps you could find some for God.
What makes you think I have not studied the bible extensively (Including all the ways you are pointing at,) and have come to the conclusion their isn't continuity your way? That God can't be found in an abstract interpretation of the bible. Only the philosophy of God will be found. One/a philosophy that conforms to the moralities of popular culture... BTW what you are suggesting is what Himmler did to make the bible work for him and his political agenda.