Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 28, 2024, 11:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Methodist in Your Midst
RE: A Methodist in Your Midst
Yes that's what I had in mind. I wasn't sure if the Clam Nanny thing was still in force, having heard conflicting information. I defer to you sir.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Just one nagging question. Is this John Wesley in the bible? If not, that's a mistake right there, cuz that dude sounds totally righteous.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(March 24, 2012 at 10:37 pm)Stimbo Wrote: I defer to you sir.

Hope that turns out to be a good choice Smile

BTW, a really good book is Inside Scientology: The Story of America's Most Secretive Religion by Janet Reitman.
(March 24, 2012 at 5:29 pm)Christian Wrote:
(March 24, 2012 at 5:25 pm)Stimbo Wrote: If Vader doesn't exist, how did Luke come to be?

hmm. bcoz Star Wars was fiction? Thinking

Congratulations, you can answer your own questions! Post of the day!

(March 24, 2012 at 8:45 pm)Christian Wrote: I did discuss some of the questions raised here with my pastor. He said that I should not hang around non-believers, as it will only make my faith weak

He's worried...

Quote: But I personally believe that talking to non-believers is just another way to see the truth is my belief.

That's fine, but often faith weakens in the face of reality and you might not get the result you're banking on.

Hence your pastor telling you not to hang out on here, he knows...

You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

Christian Wrote:My pastor told me that no matter how righteous you are, you will still go to Hell is you do not accept Jesus.

Well, you certainly aren't part of the United Methodist church as this is in stark contrast to what they preached at the church I was raised in. Too bad. They are some of the most tolerant Christians I've ever met.

Welcome anyway.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Re: A Methodist in Your Midst
You were a Christian in a church where that didn't mean believing in Jesus as saviour FTM?!?

* Credibility on hold *
No, that's not what I meant. What they preached was that it was impossible to know who got into heaven, or for what reason. They preached for people to have faith in their savior but not that faith was the absolute criteria for reaching heaven.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(March 25, 2012 at 5:07 am)apophenia Wrote:

Just one nagging question. Is this John Wesley in the bible? If not, that's a mistake right there, cuz that dude sounds totally righteous.

Quote:Wesley's teachings, known as Wesleyanism, provided the seeds for both the modern Methodist movement, the Holiness movement, Pentecostalism, the Charismatic Movement, and Neo-charismatic churches, which encompass numerous denominations across the world.

Sounds like a total douchebag to me.

Re: RE: A Methodist in Your Midst
(March 25, 2012 at 7:43 pm)Faith No More Wrote: No, that's not what I meant. What they preached was that it was impossible to know who got into heaven, or for what reason. They preached for people to have faith in their savior but not that faith was the absolute criteria for reaching heaven.

Then either they were wrong or you misunderstood. Faith is in fact essential. Faith should be demonstrable by its product but the product alone is meaningless. There is only one route to salvation in what is widely regarded as Christianity and that route is via Jesus.
The bible condones slavery, incest, killing, torture, and submission to a god that otherwise will damn you to an eternity of hell for the sole crime of not stroking his ego.

Do not use the "taken out of context" approach, either: It cannot be out of context since it is a direct translation and the words translated from had no alternative meanings. I need not point out the entries; if you are a good christian, you will have read through it all. If you are a typical, hypocritical, fair-weather christian, you will have only read the happy parts and therefore I'll have to go drag them up for you, which will greatly diminish my opinion of you.

I await rebuttal.