Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 30, 2024, 8:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Death
RE: Death
These OPs are why I don't "do" philosophy.

Contemplating all the existential bull shit doesn't change the fact that for most of us, the alarm clock is going to ring tomorrow and we're going to need to provide ourselves with three things:

Food, Shelter, and Amusement.

Just live. There 'll be plenty of time to be dead.
[Image: Evolution.png]

(April 10, 2012 at 12:15 am)Cinjin Wrote: These OPs are why I don't "do" philosophy.

Contemplating all the existential bull shit doesn't change the fact that for most of us, the alarm clock is going to ring tomorrow and we're going to need to provide ourselves with three things:

Food, Shelter, and Amusement.

Just live. There 'll be plenty of time to be dead.

Some people enjoy philosophy. Contemplating existence is fun. I find amusement in it. Better than television at least.
This is stupid
(April 9, 2012 at 11:33 pm)Adjusted Sanity Wrote:
(April 9, 2012 at 11:10 pm)FallentoReason Wrote:
Adjusted Sanity Wrote:That's exactly what I think a soul is. A hard drive. It would be an efficient way of preserving one's self. which is what a soul is supposed to do in theory.
Hmm.. I smell sock puppet. You're BigBoy aren't you? Or sjosan from AF.com. This line of argument has been shown to have an almost endless amount of flaws.

Nope. I really hate both of those usernames anyway. Can't see myself using them.

I dunno... this other dude was begging for us to accept the wishful thinking that souls exist and God could Ctrl + C/V our experiences onto some sort of harddrive. Just don't go there haha...
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
You think a soul is a hard drive, others before you thought it was a pillar of fire. The description changes as culture and experience changes. It does this because "soul" is a construct not attached to reality. It's a misattribution of our internal experience to an external location (and a convenient place to attach our desires for immortality, or reward/retribution). Here's an interesting thing to ponder over, with regards to souls. Can you conceive of the idea of "spiritual suicide"? Can you imagine your soul being in such a horrible place that you would endeavor to remove yourself from existence entirely? Strange as it seems, I'd be willing to wager that many of us would rather spend an eternity in hell, in existence, than to cease existing altogether if those were the only choices offered. The survival imperative at play.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
A soul that ain't attached to reality ain't worth mentioning; if the terminology has a real world parallel, I'm thinking like the base code to the virtual virus that is I, yet something evolved to the environment of causality and sequence.
(April 10, 2012 at 9:32 am)Rhythm Wrote: You think a soul is a hard drive, others before you thought it was a pillar of fire. The description changes as culture and experience changes. It does this because "soul" is a construct not attached to reality. It's a misattribution of our internal experience to an external location (and a convenient place to attach our desires for immortality, or reward/retribution). Here's an interesting thing to ponder over, with regards to souls. Can you conceive of the idea of "spiritual suicide"? Can you imagine your soul being in such a horrible place that you would endeavor to remove yourself from existence entirely? Strange as it seems, I'd be willing to wager that many of us would rather spend an eternity in hell, in existence, than to cease existing altogether if those were the only choices offered. The survival imperative at play.

If your soul touches a health pack you die and go to the land of the double dead.

Though seriously I think you are allowed to suicide your soul. If there is a hell, I'd think it would be more of a test instead of eternal. You either give up or keep going. Oh and they don't tell you it's a test. The afterlife is a cruel place ain't it. Tongue

I think most people would choose death too. Enough torment even the most death fearing people can give up.
This is stupid
The concept of souls only becomes interesting if they can self-destruct.

If a soul destroyed itself it would be impossible for a god to rebuild it in any case because according to theology the person has ceased to exist, they can't be brought back.

Think we've just found a theological limit to omnipotence here. Gods can't influence what no longer exists.

Sigh, I'm so bored...
(April 10, 2012 at 6:04 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: The concept of souls only becomes interesting if they can self-destruct.

If a soul destroyed itself it would be impossible for a god to rebuild it in any case because according to theology the person has ceased to exist, they can't be brought back.

Think we've just found a theological limit to omnipotence here. Gods can't influence what no longer exists.

Sigh, I'm so bored...

How did they build us in the first place then? Gods are tricky buggers...

Most non-existent things are.

RE: topic - "You" only exist as a secondary back-up construct in your neuron signals in a single two or three second interval. You don't remember 99% of your life, and 99% of the remaining 1% is pretty much made up anyway. I'm guessing death for 78 year old you is just as forgetful as death for 13 year 4 month 12 day 3 hour 15 minute and 20 second old you. There's just not a 23 second old you to pretend you're still the same.
Quote:Just live. There 'll be plenty of time to be dead.

Indeed.

A favourite Aussie saying,which could be said to sum up a national attitude
Quote:I'm here for a good time, not a long time (anon)
Death
I enjoy philosophy, it might not matter in the long run but I may as well use my brain while I have it.