Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 7:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steak
RE: Steak
(October 6, 2012 at 1:57 pm)whateverist Wrote:
(October 6, 2012 at 1:37 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: This conversation has raised some issues that I've never been able to fully get out of.

1. Why is it less immoral (or not immoral at all) to kill an animal than a human for food?

I've never felt compelled to seek a justification. It is only from the point of view that sees us as rational beings that the idea even comes up.

Well, we are rational beings. Just because lower animals apparently don't have the capacity to reason isn't a reason to stop being rational. You can't just try to shut off your rational faculties so you can engage in some activity guilt free. If I were to take your argument and take it to the absurd (argument ad absurdum), I can justify any act such as human murder, rape, slavery etc. Your application of your argument is purely arbitrary and inconsistent.

Quote:Vegetables are alive when we rip them out of the ground but that doesn't deter me either.

Vegetables are not conscious. They don't think, perceive, have desires, etc. They're little different than rocks in that regard.

Quote: It is important to remember that we are animals ourselves and therefore part of the dance of eating and being eaten.

This is a fallacious argument of appeal to nature. Just because we're animals and part of the food chain does not justify that we can willingly be part of that system.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
Is it possible to put the photo of detached human limbs being cut into in a hide box thingy? Seriously.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
(October 6, 2012 at 3:01 pm)Annik Wrote: Is it possible to put the photo of detached human limbs being cut into in a hide box thingy? Seriously.

yeah, I spose I could've done that. Apologies.

(honestly though, doesn't everybody look inside those things anyway. Human curiosity is a bitch when someone writes the word, Warning. Undecided )
[Image: Evolution.png]

(October 6, 2012 at 3:06 pm)Cinjin Wrote:
(October 6, 2012 at 3:01 pm)Annik Wrote: Is it possible to put the photo of detached human limbs being cut into in a hide box thingy? Seriously.

yeah, I spose I could've done that. Apologies.

(honestly though, doesn't everybody look inside those things anyway. Human curiosity is a bitch when someone writes the word, Warning. Undecided )

I just don't want to keep running into it every time I scroll down. >.< And (less selfishly) we should be thinking of our younger members. : o
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
(October 6, 2012 at 3:12 pm)Annik Wrote: I just don't want to keep running into it every time I scroll down. >.< And (less selfishly) we should be thinking of our younger members. : o

And my appetite.
I'll hide it. Sleepy
[Image: Evolution.png]

(October 6, 2012 at 3:48 pm)Cinjin Wrote: I'll hide it. Sleepy

Its okay I ran out of food now Smile
Quote: I don't think I've heard an argument for animal killing and eating that doesn't seem arbitrary, hypocritical, and doesn't reek of special pleading.

They're tasty.
(October 6, 2012 at 4:24 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote: I don't think I've heard an argument for animal killing and eating that doesn't seem arbitrary, hypocritical, and doesn't reek of special pleading.

They're tasty.

This.

Also - we are animals. Other animals eat other animals without ethical considerations (including those with higher intelligence). Suggesting that we are somehow different is also special pleading.

Pass the meat.
And the red wine.....