Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 23, 2024, 2:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Experiencing 'proof'
RE: Experiencing 'proof'
(November 15, 2012 at 4:35 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(November 15, 2012 at 4:14 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Well, I understand their effect. I understand what they're supposed to do... not their inner workings.
But again, what is their effect...what do they do? "Vader -uses- the force to choke people" -Okay, you understand what Vader uses the force for..that's still not an understanding of the force (it's quite a bit more to do with Vader)..if you knew -how- the force choked people that would be an understanding of the force.
Well, ignoring the obvious fan-fiction which were Episodes I to III, the force appears as a sort of medium which only certain individuals can tap into, or all can, but only some are able to use it. It enables them to perform telekinesis and telepathy up to a certain degree.
That's my understanding of the force. Of course, exactly what is the physical mechanism which handles this interaction with the force medium is unknown... in our Universe there's no such thing as "force", so our physics would probably not apply to the Star Wars Universe.
Personal experience does not count as evidence,I could say I see a dragon in my bedroom and it talks to me and gives me advice it says it loves me. And I would say that is my personal experience does that prove that dragons exist ?

NO
The only thing that is understood is that I saw a dragon.
I mean the funny thing is that if someone says they see a dragon,their sanity is brought into question but when someone says they see Jesus or god or the virgin fucking Mary,it is used as "proof" that such a religion is true. But off course it is exactly the same situation as the above, in fact it is the same just replace dragon with Jesus or god or Mary etc.
But it is not seen as this by everyone.

Mad, isn't it?
(November 15, 2012 at 6:12 pm)mr.atheist Wrote: Personal experience does not count as evidence,I could say I see a dragon in my bedroom and it talks to me and gives me advice it says it loves me. And I would say that is my personal experience does that prove that dragons exist ?
If two billion other people had the same experience with the same dragon, would you call that strong or weak evidence for its existence?
(November 15, 2012 at 6:53 pm)Undeceived Wrote: If two billion other people had the same experience with the same dragon, would you call that strong or weak evidence for its existence?

Such an event has not happened jet, and is very unlikely to happen.

Argument is invalid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w5neFPat1w
I wouldn't call it evidence for the existence of said dragon at all UD, weak or strong. I'd call it evidence that people report having dreams about a dragon. Besides, dragons -do- exist, in literature..why wouldn't people dream about them? How many people -do- you think have dreams about dragons btw? I'd bet there are quite a few....plenty of cultures have specific dragons as heroes or villains too. You know what I'm talkin about, surely, Enter Leviathan.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 15, 2012 at 6:53 pm)Undeceived Wrote:
(November 15, 2012 at 6:12 pm)mr.atheist Wrote: Personal experience does not count as evidence,I could say I see a dragon in my bedroom and it talks to me and gives me advice it says it loves me. And I would say that is my personal experience does that prove that dragons exist ?
If two billion other people had the same experience with the same dragon, would you call that strong or weak evidence for its existence?

1. Argumentum ad populum (look it up)
2. I don't know of any like-minded group anywhere in the world that numbers anywhere remotely close to 2 billion.
3. VERY VERY few christians or muslims for that matter, claim to converse with god directly (two persons talking). The percentage has got to be somewhere under .0000001 percent. The reason: even you silly sheep deem people who claim to hear god talking to them bat shit crazy.
4. The odds of Mr. Atheist actually meeting and talking to a dragon are actually slightly better than him having a daily conversation with the almighty creator of the universe in his bedroom in the hopes that some day he's going to see hundreds of thousands of souls flying through the air to meet that god's zombie son floating just above the ground with 10,000 angels playing the brass section in the background.

Geez just writing that last one makes you all seem stupider. [Image: Cherna-facepalm.gif]
[Image: Evolution.png]

(November 15, 2012 at 7:07 pm)The_Germans_are_coming Wrote:
(November 15, 2012 at 6:53 pm)Undeceived Wrote: If two billion other people had the same experience with the same dragon, would you call that strong or weak evidence for its existence?

Such an event has not happened jet, and is very unlikely to happen.

Argument is invalid.
Don't use 'invalid' so loosely. The question whether an event is likely or not (wherever you got that opinion) is meaningless. If two billion people have the same experience, science should take note. If two billion people believe the Holy Spirit has communicated to them the truth about Jesus Christ, he is not at all on the level of a fairy tale creature, nor does he bear full burden of proof.
Quote:. If two billion people believe the Holy Spirit has communicated to them the truth about Jesus Christ, he is not at all on the level of a fairy tale creature, nor does he bear full burden of proof.

So I guess that when billions believed that the Earth was flat we actually lived on a pancake.
Which Jesus Chirst? The myth of Christ as a monolith rears it's ugly head.......nevertheless, science and reason -have- both taken note of this (because neither is beyond being silly...humans after all you know). Reason has decided that its officially "bad thought", science has decided that it cannot find any evidence of a connection between peoples dreams and a god...but that it can find evidence of a connection between people dreams and their literature. Case closed.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 15, 2012 at 7:56 pm)Undeceived Wrote: If two billion people have the same experience, science should take note.

Maybe it is best if you 1st figure out how science works before you continue to irritate us with statements like this ...
"Jesus is like an unpaid babysitter "
R. Gervais

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My experiencing rooming with a Christian EgoDeath 26 4017 October 21, 2019 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath