Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 27, 2024, 4:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask A Vegan Anything.
RE: Ask A Vegan Anything.
(January 11, 2013 at 8:29 am)BGChuckLee Wrote:
(January 10, 2013 at 1:10 pm)Gilgamesh Wrote: u look week bro. but u rite u are so aplha cuz lol.

I know I sure-as-fuck am.

Yeah, It's ridiculous I know... "I'm fat, and you are lean- but you should listen to me on how to lose weight!" haha.

I don't ask a homeless person for financial advice. Why would I ask an unhealthy person advice on how to be healthy?

If you are not the example, you shouldn't be advising or teaching anyone. The same way, I would say- if you want to build high muscle mass you should be listening to your fellow zyzz, not me.

No you wouldn't ask a homeless person for financial advice, but you would let them starve to death "Let them eat cake".

Keep living in your bubble.
Well, Chuckie got banned so I'm not posting this with any expectation that he'll actually see it. I'm posting it in case someone who actually cares about health and fitness or being a vegan actually bothers to read the thread.

There is a HUGE difference between having the best looking body and having the healthiest body. Anorexia alone should speak volumes there. You get that perfectly slim body that everyone is supposed to strive for, but you starve yourself into dangerous territory to do it. Body builders aren't off the hook, either. Besides the aversion to body fat (which isn't as bad with guys as girls, but it's still there), they also have steroids. Yeah, they'll help you build muscle but they'll also damage your body.

And look at a lot of the models out there who are incredibly unhealthy. Ever see the photos of them when they aren't in front of a camera? No makeup, no fancy clothes and a lot of them look like just skin and bones. I'm sure a lot of us think athletes look like they're in great health (and some are), but if you pay attention to a lot of the stories about athlete who spent years in the NFL and have brain damage as a result, you'll see a different story.

After all that, yes, vegans can get plenty of protein, but they have to be careful with it. Soy is good, especially since there are so many meat substitutes made out of soy (they can be pretty tasty, too). Beans are another good source of protein, especially if eaten with rice. Nuts also have a lot of protein. Yes, you can have an unbalanced diet with no protein for a while, but it'll catch up to you eventually. If you're unwilling to eat those types of foods, you probably shouldn't be a vegan. If you want to take small a step back, vegetarians can still eat eggs which are an excellent source of protein.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
I cant personally speak about being healthy, I smoke and drink and my diet, well. But I am not, unlike our banned troll does, I am not selling my personal habits to others as gospel.

The same thing that drives someone to anorexia can drive another person to use steroids and to very deadly results. So we have to constantly counter this by saying the only responsible thing. The only think any of us should do when we want to do something to our own bodies because of a possible image issue, is to eat a balanced diet, reasonable exercise, and follow the advice of a doctor that wont lie to you just to give you what you want to get money from you.

I also don't think he will ever look up the term "body dismorphia(sp)", which is a psychological condition where you are merely trying to cover an insecurity just like an alcoholic uses booze to hide from pain. The things you covered are all the same type of using an addiction to cover an insecurity.
Living causes dying. People should get over themselves and remember the wise words of Rodney Dangerfield.

"If I take excellent care of myself the best I can hope for is that some day I will get very sick and die."

Fuck it. Give me a beer.
(January 11, 2013 at 11:53 am)Minimalist Wrote: Living causes dying. People should get over themselves and remember the wise words of Rodney Dangerfield.

"If I take excellent care of myself the best I can hope for is that some day I will get very sick and die."

Fuck it. Give me a beer.

Yea I agree. But that was not what our troll friend was doing. It is one thing to destroy your own body. It is another to give other people advice and base it on things you are not qualified to give advice on.

Hitchens at the end of his life admitted he over did it which caused his cancer. But at the same time, in all his actions, he wasn't walking around telling others "yea, smoke and drink like a fish, it is a healthy way to live".

This troll was peddling his personal predilection as if it were medically solid as if he was a resident surgeon.

What he did is as stupid as the Pope pretending he is an OBGYN doctor telling women not to make their partners use condoms and only be baby factories.
(January 11, 2013 at 11:53 am)Minimalist Wrote: Living causes dying.

Indeed. Studies have shown (probably) that life is the number one cause of death. At the very least it is the main contributing factor.

... Now I haz a sad.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
My favorite line from Night Court was when everyone was trapped in the basement of the court building because of a fire and Bull, the court bailiff said "Death is just nature's way of saying you are not alive anymore".
And, meat-eaters (like myself), there is nothing wrong with eating a meatless meal every now and again. :3
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
But don't make a habit out of it.
His behaviour in this particular thread wasn't that bad IMHO. He's totally right on a number of things that he said, especially about first impressions and expecting those who give you advice or sell you something to be at least on the same level as you (my own words of course). This is why you won't see pierced tattooed people offered retail sales jobs, their image is off putting to others.

TaraJo talked at length about anorexia, but honestly in our western society it is a far lesser concern than overweight and obesity. You readily see people who are overweight completely unconcerned with their weight. Most people who are anorexic at least acknowledge they have a problem. My younger brother has been underweight his whole life - he isn't anorexic though. He eats well enough. In fact truth be told his diet is probably better than mine. The main health concern for people who are underweight is that they are not getting all the required nutrition in their diets. If you are getting all the nutrition you need from your diet, then it doesn't matter if you are a bit underweight. We both eat meat every day.

There are plenty of good reasons for eliminating things from your diet - caffeine, alcohol, gluten, white bread, sugar, meat, etc. But vegans and vegetarians often do not do it specifically because of a good reason. For instance, I have a cousin who is a vegetarian. She isn't one by choice though, she loves meat. She doesn't eat it because it disagrees with her body.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow What science says about plant-based diets (Vegan) NeotericNinja 68 9057 May 23, 2016 at 3:09 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  Dysgenics - anything to worry about? Haydn2 0 753 September 15, 2012 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Haydn2