Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 5, 2024, 4:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Firearms
RE: Firearms
(March 22, 2013 at 8:42 am)Napoléon Wrote:
(March 22, 2013 at 8:40 am)C3P0 Wrote: Sir, I'd be happy to inform you that a have an Intelligence Quotient of 136, and therefore I couldn't be an idiot or "not too bright" as you describe.

Well done, you can recognise certain shapes.

Personally I've never found an IQ test any good at measuring intelligence.

My dad has a better IQ than me, but, and no offence to him, he's about as deep as a puddle in the department of intelligence.

It doesn't pertain to recognizing shapes, an IQ test measures problem-solving with them.
I believe that you have it confused with an elementary-school level geometry quiz.
In case you didn't realise, I was being a sarcastic cunt.

I know a maths professor who said:

"IQ test are the worst kind of tests!", "They are absolute rubbish and do not say anything about intelligence!", "The only thing which they can manage to determine is if a person is retarded or not!" "For which you dont really need a test but simply need to listen!" "Technicaly speaking, even a potatoe has an IQ!"

C3PO, life is a learning process and next year and the year after and after you will continously find yourself looking back and thinking that you use to be dumb.

I aint going to call you dumb, because you are young and will certainly evolve to be far brighter in the future.

I use to be a 9/11 truther and later a communist.
(March 22, 2013 at 8:49 am)The Germans are coming Wrote: I use to be a 9/11 truther and later a communist.

I used to think aliens influenced the building of the pyramids.

Hell that was my first post on these forums.

God I was a dumbass.
Aractus:

The idea of socio-economic factors leading to gun violence is part of the conversation here in America - the thought being that people who have less to worry about economically are less prone to outbursts of violence in frustration or desperation, among other things. The problem with this is, in my opinion, that it only addresses general hand-gun violence of the sort you find amongst the poor. It doesn't address people with mental health issues OR the people who have a decent amount of money and health care and are goddamn careless about the way they keep their stockpile of guns. Having a better mental healthcare system also doesn't absolve gun owners of the need to be more vigilant in the way they store their guns, which I think need more active licenses, required training classes (we don't need any here in North Carolina - you just send away for a permit - I don't know how it's done in other states) and signature requirements on how something is going to be stored so that there begins to be more accountability over the fact that the person who owns the gun is being held responsible for it.

Despite being a left leaning individual I'm actually not for the banning of guns, although like many people here I'm mystified as to why anyone should feel the need to own anything more powerful than a 9mm or a hunting rifle. The first I can understand as a home defense mechanism. The second I see as a tool for a hobby and as an economic supplement for food (I know plenty of country guys and gals who stock their meat for the winter and spring with what they've hunted for in the fall). This bullshit about needing to defend themselves in the case of a militant gov't regime is, so far as I've seen, born of Glenn Beck-fueled paranoia (and others like him) and more recently a deep racist hatred for our current president. These people hide behind the second amendment thinking that it gives them the right to have the same sort of fire power as the military just in case they get to have the movie-hero-slot at taking down the "evil" empire our country has apparently become.

Meanwhile, every one of the Iraq vets I know has turned in their weapons happily along with their retirement from service. This also goes with the 'Nam vets and others of my father's era - my father, who, crazy Repub that he is, still manages to be law-abiding with his hunting rifles and 9 mm's. [shrugs]

Articles like this would suggest that I'm taking too lenient a stance on it: http://ivn.us/2012/07/25/gun-control-an-...omparison/

I'm trying to find you a good article about relating it to socio-economics that isn't bogged down in a TL;DR sort of way - I ran across something some time ago and didn't save it.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
maybe this would be of assistance?
http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp...822&page=1
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(March 22, 2013 at 8:29 am)C3P0 Wrote: Man has the ability to be a civil creature, yet people such as yourself seem to lack or neglect that gift of the species.
Alongside that, I believe that I placed some evidence in my first post to back my opinions.

No you didn't, you gave opinions, and we gave opinions back.

I'm always civil until someone comes up with BS.

(March 22, 2013 at 8:40 am)C3P0 Wrote: Sir, I'd be happy to inform you that a have an Intelligence Quotient of 136, and therefore I couldn't be an idiot or "not too bright" as you describe.

Having a high IQ doesn't automatically mean you won't do or say dumb shit from time to time.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Quote:Having a high IQ doesn't automatically mean you won't do or say dumb shit from time to time.

Precisely. Have a look around this board....you are not unique C3PO
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(March 22, 2013 at 8:49 am)The Germans are coming Wrote:

How do you expect to rule the world if you can't use [imgfit] tags TGAC? Big Grin
He probably DID use [imgfit]

That's the problem imgfit takes up the Whole fucking page.

do we have [imgshrink]?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Printing firearms. Something completely different 3 1099 March 18, 2013 at 1:07 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious