Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 5, 2024, 3:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Firearms
RE: Firearms
(March 29, 2013 at 8:28 am)festive1 Wrote: However, by that reasoning, we should just outright ban all guns, because some 12,600 people were murdered by guns. Add to that the 60,000+ suicides (from the beginning of this discussion), and that brings the total close to 80,000 people, dead in the US from gun violence. Is that a big enough number for you?

We're in a recession as of speaking, so suicides are going to be more common.
I'd instead suggest suicide-preventive infrastructure, mandatory training for employers to recognize symptoms of depression; the prohibition of arms from the mentally ill, felons, and men of subaverage intelligence; and laws requiring arms to be stored in locked cases.
IQ tests to own guns? Fascist.
(March 29, 2013 at 9:53 am)festive1 Wrote: IQ tests to own guns? Fascist.

Not sure if joking or trolling...
Re: RE: Firearms
(March 29, 2013 at 9:26 am)C3P0 Wrote:
(March 29, 2013 at 8:28 am)festive1 Wrote: However, by that reasoning, we should just outright ban all guns, because some 12,600 people were murdered by guns. Add to that the 60,000+ suicides (from the beginning of this discussion), and that brings the total close to 80,000 people, dead in the US from gun violence. Is that a big enough number for you?

We're in a recession as of speaking, so suicides are going to be more common.
I'd instead suggest suicide-preventive infrastructure, mandatory training for employers to recognize symptoms of depression; the prohibition of arms from the mentally ill, felons, and men of subaverage intelligence; and laws requiring arms to be stored in locked cases.
Surely the number of suicide by guns is enough to want to restrict who can own one? Someone who suffers from depression, bipolar disorder or any form of psychosis should not have easy access to guns. Active suicidality (I.e. When a person goes from contemplating suicide to actually deciding to do it right away) generally only lasts around 30 minutes. So the longer it takes them to access a suicide method the better. Just look at the dramatic decrease in suicides we had in the UK after they changed the gas used in homes to a less toxic gas to see what I mean.

Of course, better (aka free) access to healthcare to treat people with a mental illness is also desperately needed in the US. Both actions are needed to protect people.
How easy is it to beat someone to death with your fists?

How easy is it to commit suicide with your fists?

Your attempt a goalpost moving to preserve your point and shoot with one finger twitch right is disgusting.

When you have an analogous ease of use scenario and stats for another weapon, then you'll have a point
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
(March 29, 2013 at 10:07 am)C3P0 Wrote:
(March 29, 2013 at 9:53 am)festive1 Wrote: IQ tests to own guns? Fascist.

Not sure if joking or trolling...

A bit of both, actually…
But for the pro-gun side of this discussion to assert that intelligence of potential gun owners should be taken into consideration is kind of weird. Remember Dick Cheney shot a friend while hunting quail, I'm sure he'd pass the requisite intelligence test, though perhaps not the manically evil test. I'd be happy with a rigorous gun safety course. Some states have this in place, but others don't, I'd like to see a federally mandated training course.
Re: Firearms
Are people who have accidentally shot people allowed guns? They totally shouldn't be (unless it was somehow not their fault at all).
(March 29, 2013 at 12:02 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: How easy is it to beat someone to death with your fists?

How easy is it to commit suicide with your fists?

Your attempt a goalpost moving to preserve your point and shoot with one finger twitch right is disgusting.

When you have an analogous ease of use scenario and stats for another weapon, then you'll have a point

Apparently pretty easy..didn't you catch that link awhile back. Angel

(March 29, 2013 at 3:51 pm)NoraBrimstone Wrote: Are people who have accidentally shot people allowed guns? They totally shouldn't be (unless it was somehow not their fault at all).

Are people who have accidentally hit someone else's car with their own allowed to own a car?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Re: Firearms
If it's their fault and someone dies, I'd bloody hope not.
Temporary revocation.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Printing firearms. Something completely different 3 1099 March 18, 2013 at 1:07 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious