Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 7:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"I'll pray for you."
RE: "I'll pray for you."
Funny I never saw that claim made Stimbo. I see the claim of God specifically answering prayer challenged by pseudo scientists.

So you're going to prove that faith in the efficacy of prayer is false Big Grin

Don't forget to wear a white face and red nose k Wink
(June 25, 2013 at 5:30 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Funny I never saw that claim made Stimbo. I see the claim of God specifically answering prayer challenged by pseudo scientists.

So you're going to prove that faith in the efficacy of prayer is false Big Grin

Don't forget to wear a white face and red nose k Wink

No sane atheist I know is worried about having egg on their face, you however should worry because if you ever do escape your delusion you like we did when we did, are going to feel really fucking stupid.

There are not many atheists here that wouldn't admit to thinking "What was I thinking? That was all garbage, I can't believe I bought that crap".

I even had my former believing younger sister, now an atheist, admit to me she felt embarrassed by what she used to believe and also admitted she felt relieved that she no longer had to defend that crap.

Imaginary friends in kids is understandable, but in adults it is sick and outright deadly. But the same reasons kids invent imaginary friends adults do and call it religion.

We only hope for your own sake you don't waste your entire life on a fantasy.
If you want to cling to a demonstrably idiotic claim no matter what your belief or lack of Brian, be my guest.
(June 25, 2013 at 6:23 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: If you want to cling to a demonstrably idiotic claim no matter what your belief or lack of Brian, be my guest.

Ok then, why are you here exactly? If you have nothing to prove to us then you are wasting your time and ours.

See you thought it would be fun to hang out in the lions den and maybe help some of us lost puppies find the way. It never occurred to you that we, not you, are right and we are trying to help you.

When you have competing claims what do you think is the best method to determine reality?

"Allah is real"
"Yahweh is real"
"Vishnu is real"
"Jesus is real"

All employ tactics of the following mental traps.

1. Circular reasoning, quoting a book to prove a book.
2. Argument from tradition.
3. All start even before you get to the writings start with a naked assertion.
4. Appeal to authority, which if works Allah is the one true god because Arabs invented algebra. Muslims Jews and Hindus can and do hold PHDs so by proxy of being smart they must be right about all claims they make.

All of you claim "this is true" "I got it right"

So what?

It never occurs to you that when you say "They got it wrong" and they say "You got it wrong" I say "You are both right".

Now again, I ask, with competing claims what is the best method to insure quality of data to insure that everyone is on the same page? I'll give you a clue, religion and god belief are not good methods and not even a theory. Not yours not any.
(June 24, 2013 at 6:21 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: The claim that all prayer is answered consistently is absolutely logical, in the way that I framed it, addressing the Christian understanding of prayer. God answers according to his will, that we are not privy to.

If god answers according to his will that you are not privy to, how can you claim prayers are answered consistently?

(June 24, 2013 at 6:21 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: The answers are beyond our scope of knowledge. That process the above two assertions.

Yet you claim to know their consistency?
Quote:The claim that all prayer is answered consistently is absolutely logical, in the way that I framed it, addressing the Christian understanding of prayer. God answers according to his will, that we are not privy to.

If the prick isn't sharing his methodology how are we to know? "Trust me"? Sorry, but that is how all good con jobs start and all it takes are gullible people who don't check under the hood before they buy the car.

The truth is that "prayer" works in the minds of people with selection bias and sample rate errors. The same mental mistakes are done by people who think Ouija boards work.

"prayer" is nothing more than talking to yourself and mentally crossing your fingers. Reality is however a mixed bag of good things and bad things happening to us to some range to some degree in either direction, and those same mundane things that happen to all of us good or bad, existed before we were born and will happen to others after we die.

There has not been one day where kids don't die from famine or disease or tribal conflict somewhere in the world and those kids and parents pray to all sorts of god/s and it still happens, and in Africa to the tune of 20,000 a month depending on location. Millions of people per YEAR die from everything from birth to old age. You really think pretending to talk to yourself actually solves any human condition other than placating your own emotions?

The reality is shit happens, good shit and bad shit, sometimes bad things happen to good people and sometimes good things happen to bad people. Prayer is nothing but a mental placebo, it is when you do it, when Muslims do it and when Jews do it and when Hindus do it. It isn't done by good or bad people, prayer is done out of evolutionary ignorance because wishful thinking is easier than actually testing data to insure quality of data.
(June 25, 2013 at 8:06 pm)Faith No More Wrote: If god answers according to his will that you are not privy to, how can you claim prayers are answered consistently?

(June 24, 2013 at 6:21 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: The answers are beyond our scope of knowledge. That process the above two assertions.

It's a matter of simple logic. The proofs against God answering are the false assumption that all the answers must be positive, which is of course absurd.

We cannot know, we can believe through faith and discern through testing against logically proven examples.
Brainwashed.
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

Devil
(June 26, 2013 at 2:44 am)fr0d0 Wrote:
(June 25, 2013 at 8:06 pm)Faith No More Wrote: If god answers according to his will that you are not privy to, how can you claim prayers are answered consistently?

It's a matter of simple logic. The proofs against God answering are the false assumption that all the answers must be positive, which is of course absurd.

We cannot know, we can believe through faith and discern through testing against logically proven examples.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! Not even a nice try. This is shifting the burden of proof no matter how you want to dress your skunky argument.

See if you can spot the pattern.

"The proofs against Allah answering are the false assumption that all the answers must be positive"

"The proofs against Yahweh answering are the false assumption that all the answers must be positive"

"The proofs against Vishnu answering are the false assumption that all the answers must be positive"

Funny, I am quite sure you don't buy any of those gods using the same argument you use.
Yes but that isn't the question Brian. If those gods had the same rationale as God then the logic would follow.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists Pray! (According to Christians) piterski123 42 8203 June 25, 2015 at 11:31 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla
  Prinicipal just made us pray JaceDeanLove 52 11822 December 16, 2014 at 8:50 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  I'll pray for you markib64 32 6536 October 20, 2014 at 11:41 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheists do you pray? Celestine 75 12539 September 26, 2014 at 10:48 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  urge to pray - advice/help passionatefool 132 47443 February 23, 2012 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Pray for Hitchens day chatpilot 19 6219 September 23, 2010 at 3:23 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused