Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"I'll pray for you."
"I'll pray for you."
I've heard "I'll pray for you" more times than I can recall, but I wonder how many people actually kneel down at the side of their bed and pray for me to find God when they get home that night.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you have been told that you would be prayed for?
RE: "I'll pray for you."
I've also been told, "I'll pray for you." Hasn't helped much, I'm still an atheist.
It's always conditional.

[Image: hypocrite.jpg]
I got that a lot when I was in intensive care in January. Plenty of people offered to pray - I wish some of them would have visited instead. The people who did take the time to visit? With one exception, all atheists.
Someone told me he would pray to Allah to send me to hell.

Henceforth I avoided that individual as if he had cholera.
(May 29, 2013 at 3:49 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: Someone told me he would pray to Allah to send me to hell.

Henceforth I avoided that individual as if he had cholera.

Apparently allah is too stupid to reach that conclusion on his own? Some god they have there.
(May 29, 2013 at 3:34 pm)HiImJohn Wrote: I've heard "I'll pray for you" more times than I can recall

That's our code for "fuck off and die, heretic". The only thing we pray for is a return to the good old days when we could torture The Holy Spirit into you before we burn you at the stake.

(May 29, 2013 at 3:49 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: Someone told me he would pray to Allah to send me to hell.

Muslims have no sense of subtly the way we do.
"You don't need facts when you got Jesus." -Pastor Deacon Fred, Landover Baptist Church

™: True Christian is a Trademark of the Landover Baptist Church. I have no affiliation with this fine group of True Christians ™ because I can't afford their tithing requirements but would like to be. Maybe someday the Lord will bless me with enough riches that I am able to. 

And for the lovers of Poe, here's your winking smiley:  Wink
I've been told this lots of times in the past, though thankfully it's not something I hear since my sweet Princess was stolen from me three years ago nor something to which I would take kindly in that context.

My only question, which I've mentioned before, is why do people who say it feel the need to do so? In other words, if praying for me would have any effect at all, why tell me about it? Wouldn't whatever it's meant to do simply happen anyway? Why should telling me about it matter in the slightest? The only reason that makes any sense - inasmuch as the word 'sense' can apply - is that it makes the person doing the praying, or at least announcing their intentions to do so, feel important, perhaps even superior to everyone else.

Basically there are three types of prayer. First, there's the "I'm special because I can talk to God" variety just described. Then there's the type in which the person truly has the best of intentions - whether or not they believe that praying actually works, their hearts and their sympathies are at least in the right place. Finally, there's the default form of prayer announcement which translates to "Yeah? Well, fuck you!" or "I've identified something broken in your character, some fundamental flaw which does not match up to my standards, so I am going to hide behind religious language in order to tell you this to your face."
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I hear this more than I care to. I usually reply with something quippy:

"Well, that's a complete waste of fucking time."
"Since you'll be on your knees, I would much prefer a blow job."

The list is endless depending on what prompted the useless gesture.
(May 29, 2013 at 4:21 pm)cato123 Wrote: I hear this more than I care to. I usually reply with something quippy:

"Tell your imaginary friend I said 'hi'."
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists Pray! (According to Christians) piterski123 42 7888 June 25, 2015 at 11:31 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla
  Prinicipal just made us pray JaceDeanLove 52 11466 December 16, 2014 at 8:50 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  I'll pray for you markib64 32 6342 October 20, 2014 at 11:41 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheists do you pray? Celestine 75 11961 September 26, 2014 at 10:48 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  urge to pray - advice/help passionatefool 132 46622 February 23, 2012 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Pray for Hitchens day chatpilot 19 6079 September 23, 2010 at 3:23 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused