Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 6:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Hell Really a Bad Place?
RE: Is Hell Really a Bad Place?
GC, when did we start debating the composition of fossils, and how is it relevant to the argument at hand?
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
(August 19, 2013 at 2:40 pm)Godschild Wrote: I know highly regarded scientists and nuclear engineers, and all agree that carbon dating falls apart after 50,000 years and other nonbelievers on here have agreed. These people are honest enough not to lie about the reality of the limits science has, unlike you.

The Strawman Fallacy. I know very well that no one knows everything about anything. I also know that transitional fossils are numerous in paleontologists' research.

Religious people, however, like Ray Comfort and Ken Ham, claim to have absolute knowledge of life, and they are benighted.

And yes, carbon dating is not the only method of studying fossils. Do you ever take a medicine for a headache or anything else? If so, thank an evolutionary scientist.
(August 19, 2013 at 5:43 pm)Michael Schubert Wrote:
(August 19, 2013 at 2:40 pm)Godschild Wrote: I know highly regarded scientists and nuclear engineers, and all agree that carbon dating falls apart after 50,000 years and other nonbelievers on here have agreed. These people are honest enough not to lie about the reality of the limits science has, unlike you.

The Strawman Fallacy. I know very well that no one knows everything about anything. I also know that transitional fossils are numerous in paleontologists' research.

Religious people, however, like Ray Comfort and Ken Ham, claim to have absolute knowledge of life, and they are benighted.

And yes, carbon dating is not the only method of studying fossils. Do you ever take a medicine for a headache or anything else? If so, thank an evolutionary scientist.

Some one please bang on the record player, it's stuck in a groove.

(August 19, 2013 at 4:37 pm)BadWriterSparty Wrote: GC, when did we start debating the composition of fossils, and how is it relevant to the argument at hand?

Don't ask me ask MS.

Smile GC

(August 19, 2013 at 2:55 pm)Psykhronic Wrote: There are other kinds of dating besides carbon dating. All have different timespans where they are useful. Example - Uranium-lead dating has a range of 1 million to about 4.5 billion years ago.

That is supposed, it's not reliable.

Smile GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
GC, you were the one to bring fossil composition into this. What point exactly were you trying to make with that?
(August 20, 2013 at 12:17 am)BadWriterSparty Wrote: GC, you were the one to bring fossil composition into this. What point exactly were you trying to make with that?

Go to MS's post #142. Then go ask him.

Smile GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
I'm asking you though. You need to realize that fossil composition has nothing to do with the fact they exist.
(August 20, 2013 at 12:37 am)BadWriterSparty Wrote: I'm asking you though. You need to realize that fossil composition has nothing to do with the fact they exist.

Unless he's saying that fossils don't exist, and those minerals just happened to align themselves into the shape of long dead animals. Which, given his incredulity so far, would be pretty rich.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
I've heard of fossils being one of God's practical jokes. I wonder where the biblical evidence for that piece of shit is. (I had a girlfriend years back that told me this, I kid you not)
(August 20, 2013 at 7:56 am)BadWriterSparty Wrote: I've heard of fossils being one of God's practical jokes. I wonder where the biblical evidence for that piece of shit is. (I had a girlfriend years back that told me this, I kid you not)

Oh, I was expecting that from GC too: my response would be that I've been told that dishonesty- a sin- is impossible for god. I expected the next thing to be a recourse to satan, to which I would ask why god would not just eliminate the false fossils before we ever found them, thus allowing him to do good without the usual violation of free will claptrap.

Is it sad that theistic arguments tend to run on a script like this? Tongue
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
I heard that because of all the atheistic scientists there it is now air-conditioned and Satan is having a great time and can't be bothered with the whole "gnawing and gnashing of teeth" shit anymore.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HELL or not HELL? Little Rik 91 12256 November 10, 2018 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Bad News For Fundie Assholes Minimalist 11 2041 August 9, 2018 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Bad Religion: How Trump is warping Christianity for his own gain. Foxaèr 4 1089 February 6, 2017 at 4:47 am
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Some kind words from the usual place FebruaryOfReason 6 1545 March 3, 2016 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason
Video First Church of Cannabis (Good or Bad?) Mental Outlaw 10 2027 June 6, 2015 at 8:09 am
Last Post: Nope
  Salon link about bad religious ideas. Brian37 1 994 January 26, 2015 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Why is religion bad? CapnAwesome 22 3596 August 18, 2014 at 3:23 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Heaven - An awful place for Christians? FreeTony 16 3833 July 21, 2014 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Is killing a Pastor always a bad thing? Mystical 85 23264 November 9, 2013 at 8:51 am
Last Post: T.J.
  If God is all mighty,why doesn't he change bad people/seiners into good ones? Phish 54 20624 March 19, 2013 at 8:35 am
Last Post: EGross