Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 23, 2024, 11:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blind faith and evolution
RE: Blind faith and evolution
(September 18, 2013 at 9:59 am)Stimbo Wrote: If you come in here acting like a babbling idiot, shitting on the carpet and insulting our intelligence.............................I don't have to be any kind of philosophical genius to recognise bullshit when I smell it.

Look, is not that i want to insult anybody.
And also is not that you have to be a philosophical genius.
All i wanted to know was the meaning of philosophy from those people who pretend to be a good judge in criticize me.
Considering that after their judgement there is no answer about the meaning of philosophy then i came to the conclusion that these people are nothing but intellectual extravagant with no solid consciousness bases.
Why should people get offended?
This is a forum in which people can argue about different subject so if anyone has nothing to reply then we come to these conclusions.
1) They are not interested in the subject.
In this case they have no right to judge on the forum.
2) They understand but they keep the judgement for themselves.
3) They do not understand the subject and yet they want to judge.
4) They do not want to admit that they do not know anything about the subject and yet they get offended if you tell them that they fail.

This is the life in a forum.
You get all sort of people who come and go with all their differences.
Some they go home happy some other keep angry because they did not have the outcome that they hoped for.
That's life Stimbo.Wink Shades
I don't mind if you insult people. I just wish you'd make some goddamned sense once in a while.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Hear, hear.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Enrico, this is philosophy from dictionary.com:

Quote: philosophy [ fi-los-uh-fee ]

noun [plural phi·los·o·phies.]

1. the rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct.

2. any of the three branches, namely natural philosophy, moral philosophy, and metaphysical philosophy, that are accepted as composing this study.

3. a particular system of thought based on such study or investigation: the philosophy of Spinoza.

4. the critical study of the basic principles and concepts of a particular branch of knowledge, especially with a view to improving or reconstituting them: the philosophy of science.

5. a system of principles for guidance in practical affairs.

6. an attitude of rationality, patience, composure, and calm in the presence of troubles or annoyances.

And this is from MW:

Quote: Main Entry: phi·los·o·phy Pronunciation: \fə-ˈlä-s(ə-)fē\Function: noun Inflected Form(s): plural -phies Etymology: Middle English philosophie, from Anglo-French, from Latin philosophia, from Greek, from philosophos philosopher Date: 14th century 1 a (1) : all learning exclusive of technical and practical arts (2) : the sciences and liberal arts medicine, law, and theology <a doctor of philosophy> (3) : the 4-year college course of a major seminary b (1) archaic : PHYSICAL SCIENCE (2) : ETHICS c : a discipline comprising as its core , aesthetics, ethics, , and epistemology 2 a : pursuit of wisdom b : a search for a general understanding of values and reality by chiefly rather than observational means c : an analysis of the grounds of and concepts expressing fundamental beliefs 3 a : a system of philosophical concepts b : a theory underlying or regarding a sphere of activity or thought <the philosophy of war> 4 a : the most basic beliefs, concepts, and attitudes of an individual or group b : calmness of temper and judgment befitting a philosopher

It is reasonable, do You agree?
(September 18, 2013 at 12:57 pm)Walking Void Wrote: It is reasonable, do You agree?

Not really.
I wanted to hear from you guys what you think about the term.........LOVE OF WISDOM.
If your teacher ask you to write something about a certain topic and you copy from somewhere instead to think with your own brain then the teacher wan't be very happy.
Is not that i pretend to be a teacher.
It is only that i wanted to know if you really are AWARE of the term LOVE OF WISDOM.
One more thing.
What the Greeks wanted to mean is not necessary what people mean these days.
It is like Jesus teaching.
Today his pure spirituality has been transformed into religion and the original meaning has been turned into dogma (false truth).
Those Greeks that were interested into philosophy had a different understanding of the reality.
What is reality?
Is reality confined to this universe or goes outside?
Considering that everything within this universe is limited there is no way that wisdom can be achieve in this physical arena.
The Greeks knew that on the contrary of today intellectuals, that is why that what you find written in the various web sites about philosophy has got to be taken and digested very carefully.Wink Shades
This thread's still going huh?
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
[Image: bunny.gif]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smYQeWxa5wg

Big Grin
(July 17, 2013 at 10:45 am)cato123 Wrote: Belief in evolution does not require faith. Try again.

EXACTLY.

Why do people get flu shots every year, because the flu virus EVOLVES.

If you polled most theists and asked them if they would accept DNA as evidence in a murder trial, they would say yes. I'd say to them then you have to accept evolution too because DNA backs it up.

Religion is the kaleidoscope, science is the telescope. One is an emotional crutch, the other is a real tool.
Enrico, your problem is evidence. There is evidence of evolution hence you get a flu shot every year. This vibrational business has no empirical evidence behind and a lot people use it to push scams.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Plato's Epistemology: Is Faith a Valid Way to Know? vulcanlogician 10 1709 July 2, 2018 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Symbolic Death and My Second Crisis of Faith InquiringMind 13 3069 September 21, 2016 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: InquiringMind
  Faith and achievement bennyboy 76 9433 August 17, 2016 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Faith in Science? Mudhammam 15 3608 October 30, 2014 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: TreeSapNest
  Our society values blind optimism. MusicLovingAtheist 27 6206 October 22, 2014 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Is Evolution a science or a faith? Harris 295 71322 August 18, 2014 at 2:21 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  My Loss of faith has caused severe depression Aran 31 7599 June 21, 2013 at 2:41 am
Last Post: whatever76
  The difference between ethical atheism and nihlism is that ethical atheists have more faith jstrodel 104 39587 March 15, 2013 at 8:37 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Please stop equating 'belief' and 'faith' Ryft 3 2047 January 4, 2011 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Faith in Humanity Violet 21 16274 March 17, 2010 at 5:00 pm
Last Post: Violet