Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 3, 2024, 3:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rule Changes + New Restrictions
RE: Rule Changes + New Restrictions
Pretty sure there's theists besides christians on this forum.
(November 11, 2013 at 5:37 pm)John V Wrote:
(November 11, 2013 at 5:31 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Oh, I don't know. Seems like we have a fairly lively bunch of theists here.
I'd say it's more a handful of fairly lively Christians.

In a quick check of members online in the last 24 hours, I counted 17 that I know to be theists, and several more who are deists. That doesn't include those who are lurkers who's religious views aren't known to me by memory.

Your idea of a handful and mine must differ.
ETA: Never mind
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(November 11, 2013 at 5:50 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: In a quick check of members online in the last 24 hours, I counted 17 that I know to be theists, and several more who are deists. That doesn't include those who are lurkers who's religious views aren't known to me by memory.

Online isn't the same as lively.
(November 11, 2013 at 5:13 pm)John V Wrote:
(November 11, 2013 at 5:10 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: And vice-versa. So what? What precisely is your point?
That there are atheists espousing a climate which conflicts with the site's stated mission.

Intellectual exercise my undescended left nard.
(November 11, 2013 at 5:57 pm)John V Wrote:
(November 11, 2013 at 5:50 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: In a quick check of members online in the last 24 hours, I counted 17 that I know to be theists, and several more who are deists. That doesn't include those who are lurkers who's religious views aren't known to me by memory.

Online isn't the same as lively.

You understand that I excluded lurkers (who's religious views I would not know), and only counted those who actually participate in discussion, yes?
(November 11, 2013 at 5:13 pm)John V Wrote:
(November 11, 2013 at 5:10 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: And vice-versa. So what? What precisely is your point?
That there are atheists espousing a climate which conflicts with the site's stated mission.

I prefer to see theists treated with respect but I also think it important that the site remain available for atheists to vent a little. Otherwise it would be like having a discussion on race relations while expecting those who have been disadvantaged by the status quo to remain calm throughout. We aren't purely rational beings and real communication doesn't happen in a cerebral vacuum. People are complex. Their expression will be too.

Do the moderators prevent theists from expressing strong feelings? They're certainly the group which comes to this forum with the historically advantaged position. Personally I wouldn't mind if theists did express strong feelings, so long as they speak for themselves.
(November 11, 2013 at 5:01 pm)John V Wrote:
(November 11, 2013 at 4:35 pm)Ryantology Wrote: I don't see much of atheists unloading on theists out of principle until the theist makes a name for him/herself for saying objectionable things, or for being very terrible at presenting and defending a position.
And? You know that many theists will say things which atheists find objectionable.

Of course I do. I know you can't help advocating terrible things; your religion insists upon that. What I don't get is why you seem to find it so surprising that some of us are not nice to you when you say them. Nobody asked you to come here and say them.
(November 11, 2013 at 5:37 pm)John V Wrote:
(November 11, 2013 at 5:31 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Oh, I don't know. Seems like we have a fairly lively bunch of theists here.
I'd say it's more a handful of fairly lively Christians.

In the main, I would say you are leaning in the right direction, however, likely on account of the base rate for Christians versus other theists in this type of venue (setting aside the question of deism, for the moment). However, it's not an exceedingly strong point, given the likely base rate. Currently, there are two Hindus on the forum, one who is explicitly theist (myself), and one whose opinion likely leans toward an Astika Hindu conception of the divine that is often considered theistic, as well as a Muslim who is an admin, a "Muslim Scholar", and I have, in recent memory, savaged a devotee of Krishna. And that's what comes readily to mind. I don't have figures to hand, but I would not be surprised if we exceed the base rate for non-Christian theists in either an atheist or secular internet discussion medium (English based), or whatever context you think these 'hearty Christians' are unusually representing in. (A recent theist who had minimal participation was Eastern Orthodox Christian, something that many mainstream Christians from a Western branch of the faith would not consider 'the same thing as Christianity[tm]'.)

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(November 7, 2013 at 6:59 pm)Tiberius Wrote:

Well done, all common sense improvements IMHO.
Quote:

I knew Germans probably wasn't the only one. Glad you got it under control! Big Grin
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PSA: Hate Speech, rule 7 arewethereyet 24 3124 September 21, 2023 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  PSA: Update to necroposting rule arewethereyet 51 7801 April 3, 2023 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  PSA: Added to threats rule arewethereyet 8 3169 May 19, 2022 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  PSA: The Necroposting Rule BrianSoddingBoru4 42 7745 April 6, 2022 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: brewer
  PSA - Clarification of rule #3 on doxxing. arewethereyet 18 4179 November 17, 2021 at 5:11 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Staff Changes BrianSoddingBoru4 32 7187 November 23, 2020 at 10:45 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  [Serious] Proposing A Rule Change BrianSoddingBoru4 24 5159 June 11, 2020 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  PSA: New Rule BrianSoddingBoru4 75 14509 July 22, 2019 at 8:19 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  The 30/30 rule Losty 3 1316 June 27, 2018 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Pedophilia Rule Modification Tiberius 3 1238 June 27, 2018 at 12:28 am
Last Post: robvalue