Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 2, 2024, 5:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holy Crap He's an Idiot
RE: Holy Crap He's an Idiot
(April 23, 2014 at 7:09 pm)Heywood Wrote:
(April 23, 2014 at 6:58 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Hey - Chuck - I'm poking fun at Heywood's abuse of the Principle of Indifference here. You're fucking up my joke, man.

It would be funny if I actually abused the Principle of Indifference.

Indeed.
Holy Crap He's an Idiot
(April 23, 2014 at 6:13 pm)Cato Wrote: Heywood,
It's impossible for me to accept that you were just role playing for Pinser's edification when you immediately continue to float the notion that innumerable measured events/conditions aren't really constant, but rather just a large collection of chance occurrences that just happen to arrive at the same value every time.

I believe the constants of nature are indeed constant. That belief is one of faith because it is possible a constant could just be a large collection of chance occurrences that just happen to arrive at the same value every time.[/quote]

This kind of thinking gets you nowhere. If something is observable and demonstrably arrives at the same conclusion every time it is tested, this is not faith. It's an empirically supported justified true belief.

It's possible it could be shown to be mistaken at some levels, like we have in quantum physics. But rejecting reasonable beliefs about the world in favor of "When I wake up tomorrow the sun will probably be blue, but I have faith that it will be yellow" requires much more support than "I have reason than "the sun looks yellow in the sky today, it has for the last x years, it probably will tomorrow."

(April 23, 2014 at 6:43 pm)Heywood Wrote: If Hugh Everett's Many Worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics is true....there exist a world were every six sided die always lands on 2. In that world...dice rolls are constant.

And yet in our observable universe, dice rolls are not constant, and it is not reasonable to expect then to be, or express faith that they will be because we want to roll a two.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Holy Shit!!!! Minimalist 15 1464 August 12, 2018 at 5:34 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Holy Shit -- another CO2 record about to be set! Jehanne 10 1595 February 26, 2017 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  More Medical Crap brewer 5 1527 September 29, 2016 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Seems Like The Books Of Holy Horseshit Minimalist 13 3704 May 22, 2015 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  One of my idiot students... Bad Writer 38 10057 December 20, 2013 at 11:33 pm
Last Post: Angrboda