Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 27, 2024, 11:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The redneck strike again.
RE: The redneck strike again.
(May 29, 2014 at 4:32 pm)rasetsu Wrote: "It's an irrational concept, yet an intriguing idea, that modern life so fills us with poisons from polluted air and food additives that we need to be periodically "cleaned out" ("detoxified").

Air pollution facts from the United States Environmental Protection Agency

Quote:Fine particles are easily inhaled deep into the lungs where they may accumulate, react, be cleared or absorbed.

Scientific studies have linked particle pollution, especially fine particles, with a series of significant health problems, including:

premature death in people with heart or lung disease,
nonfatal heart attacks,
irregular heartbeat,
aggravated asthma,
decreased lung function, and
increased respiratory symptoms, such as irritation of the airways, coughing or difficulty breathing.

Fasting isn't going to get rid of particles in the lungs.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
[Image: zBjtj.gif]

[Image: fbsmsh.gif]
(May 29, 2014 at 4:32 pm)rasetsu Wrote: None of these claims is substantiated by modern medicine. You are truly gullible.

The evidence that modern medicine can not yet solve the problems that
suppose to solve is there for all to see.
Hospitals, rehab. centers, nursing homes, jails are full of sick people.
Modern medicine is still far away from understanding what is good and
bad for us so if you believe in something that is still far away from
solution then you are very gullible.

Quote:"It's an irrational concept, yet an intriguing idea, that modern life so fills us with poisons from polluted air and food additives that we need to be periodically "cleaned out" ("detoxified").

Your car has got an air filter.
Did you know that?
We also have an air filter in our nostril.
The problem however is that when there is
too much pollution any filter can not do their
job properly.
Considering that our city are all polluted then
it doesn't take too much brain to understand that
we need some extra help in clearing our body from
pollutants.

Quote:Never mind that natural chemicals in our foods are thousands of times more potent than additives

Organic food does not have much chemicals but if you don't
give a damn about the food entering you mouth then don't
whine later on.

Quote:or that most Americans are healthier, live longer.....

1) What garbage are you talking about.
Obesity is now out of control.
2) They sure live longer but what's the point
living with the backside leaking blood?

Quote:and can choose from the most healthful food supply ever available." -- Frances M. Berg, M.S.

You surely can but you don't and that is the reason why people get sick.

Quote:"Real detoxification of foreign substances takes place in the liver, which modifies their chemical structure so they can be excreted by the kidneys which filter them from the blood into the urine." --Stephen Barrett, M.D.

True, but it is also true that if you help your organs then they will not have to overwork which means that they will keep in good nick for longer. Cool Shades

(May 29, 2014 at 5:07 pm)Confused Ape Wrote: Fasting isn't going to get rid of particles in the lungs.

When the problem become chronic then there is nothing that we can do
in this life but when it hasn't yet reach that level there is always the possibility to reverse the negative side.
In nature every problem has got a solution.
Thousand of ex smokers which lungs were not totally ruin now
feel so much better which means that when you stop bashing your
lungs the lungs self heal to a degree or totally.
Not always we know how the physical or mental system works but as far as
we feel better by doing or not doing this or that it means that within
our body-mind there is a process of self healing. Wink Shades
The redneck strike again.
[Image: 6ugyny7e.jpg]
(May 29, 2014 at 10:33 am)Riketto Wrote: Grains are 100 steps better than meat so your belief doesn't make sense.

Oh, the horror!!! I go by reports from reputable scientific sources instead of using intuition. Confusedhock:

From that article again -

Quote:In Table 1⇑, it is shown that 85.3% of the cereals consumed in the current US diet are highly processed refined grains.

It's comparing what our ancestors ate (whole grains) to what people eat too much of today.

(May 29, 2014 at 10:33 am)Riketto Wrote: What ruin the good things in the past and these days and will ruin
in the future is a thing called GREED.

I agree with you there. "We can mass produce meat so we have to convince consumers to buy and eat far more than they need. It doesn't matter about health effects caused by steroids and antibiotics etc. as long as we make a lot of money."

As for the main content of your posts you seem to be insisting that people can't be real vegetarians unless they -

1: Believe in reincarnation
2: Believe in intuitional science
3: Believe that humans didn't evolve to eat meat from wild animals.
4: Do yoga

A real vegetarian is someone who doesn't eat meat. Pseudoscience and woo aren't required.
(May 30, 2014 at 11:22 am)Confused Ape Wrote: I agree with you there. "We can mass produce meat so we have to convince consumers to buy and eat far more than they need. It doesn't matter about health effects caused by steroids and antibiotics etc. as long as we make a lot of money."
Giving it the short shrift. Meat is a stable, dense place to store the excess energy created by our agricultural system and process it into a more "available" arrangement of nutrients for human beings (and other products). If we don't consume that energy somehow (nom nom or economically) it will become a useless waste product..thus driving the price for other ag commodities higher (because they currently spread the cost of production out over all available commodities). Greed can go either way or be neutral. More a case by case basis of what greed has it's sights on,imo.

Convincing people to buy multiple products from the same production system (especially if they're based on waste products) - or more than they require - drops the price to consumer, and increases the availability of the product. In the case of food...both sound good.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 30, 2014 at 12:14 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Giving it the short shrift. Meat is a stable, dense place to store the excess energy created by our agricultural system and process it into a more "available" arrangement of nutrients for human beings (and other products).

I found an interesting article in the business section of the New York Times.

The staggering cost of rising world meat production

Quote:Global demand for meat has multiplied in recent years, encouraged by growing affluence and nourished by the proliferation of huge, confined animal feeding operations. These assembly-line meat factories consume enormous amounts of energy, pollute water supplies, generate significant greenhouse gases and require ever-increasing amounts of corn, soy and other grains, a dependency that has led to the destruction of vast swaths of the world's tropical rain forests.

Though some 800 million people now suffer from hunger or malnutrition, the majority of corn and soy grown in the world feeds cattle, pigs and chickens. This is the case in spite of the inherent inefficiencies: About two to five times more grain is required to produce the same amount of calories through livestock as through direct grain consumption, according to Rosamond Naylor, an associate professor of economics at Stanford University. It is as much as 10 times more in the case of grain-fed beef in the United States.

The environmental impact of growing so much grain for animal feed is profound. Agriculture in the United States - much of which now serves the demand for meat - contributes to nearly three-quarters of all water-quality problems in U.S. rivers and streams, according to the Environmental Protection Agency.

Americans are downing close to 200 pounds of meat, poultry and fish per capita per year (dairy and eggs are separate, and hardly insignificant), an increase of 50 pounds per person from 50 years ago. Americans each consume something like 110 grams of protein a day, about twice the U.S. government's recommended allowance; of that, about 75 grams come from animal protein.

Factory farming, which makes it possible for people to consume more protein than is healthy for us, has other adverse affects on human health.

Quote:Pesticides are used to control organisms which are considered harmful[83] and they save farmers money by preventing product losses to pests.[84] In the US, about a quarter of pesticides used are used in houses, yards, parks, golf courses, and swimming pools[85] and about 70% are used in agriculture.[84] However, pesticides can make their way into consumers' bodies which can cause health problems. One source of this is bioaccumulation in animals raised on factory farms.[85][86][87]

n the United States, the use of antibiotics in livestock is still prevalent. The FDA reports that 80 percent of all antibiotics sold in 2009 were administered to livestock animals, and that many of these antibiotics are identical or closely related to drugs used for treating illnesses in humans. Consequently, many of these drugs are losing their effectiveness on humans, and the total healthcare costs associated with drug-resistant bacterial infections in the United States are between $16.6 billion and $26 billion annually.[95]
Agreed, our current system is jacked, but not because that's all we've got up our sleeves. Has more to do with the backend. Sustainable livestock production can offer solutions to every one of the problems factory farming creates. Kind of brutal when you think about it...considering the consumer isn't exactly hot for it yet. In short, the problems the article expounds upon are problems with a system of production, not the product itself. Sort of like the problems with coal not being problems directly tied to electricity.

(also, like always, data regarding the consumption of agricultural products is heinously obscured...and I've seen it so often I can no longer accept that it's accidental -a great of things grown aren't grown for human consumption - and if we stopped growing them we wouldn;t be able to replace them with people food. Ag isn't plug-and-play)

A quick little excersize that will explain. Calculate how much grass I need to grow to feed a human being x calories. Now calculate how many calories would be available if i instead fed the cow the grass and the person the cow. Calories contained does not equal calories available. I rest my case.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 30, 2014 at 4:24 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Sustainable livestock production can offer solutions to every one of the problems factory farming creates.
Calculate how much grass I need to grow to feed a human being x calories. Now calculate how many calories would be available if i instead fed the cow the grass and the person the cow. Calories contained does not equal calories available. I rest my case.

There are farmers going back to the old fashioned methods of livestock raising but this has nothing to do with what I meant in my post about greed. Being able to produce vast quantities of meat isn't much use if you can't persuade people to eat far more than they need.
The meat is actually a byproduct (in our current system or a "better one") - that's why the comment probably doesn't apply. The question was "What do we do with all of this corn?" Not "How do we convince people to eat more meat". Without the corn, there'd be no reason to convince anyone, you see. Of course, withoput the meat (which, granted, some people eat too much of by far) there would be less available food overall. So, perhaps it's the greed of the consumer, not so much the producer. If people made smarter dietary decisions no amount of greed in the universe would move the food budget a single penny.